Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Came back from my trip to Japan with a loss of muscle mass and bodyfat at 20.3%.

Managed to put on some muscle and bodyfat down to 18.5%.

Easy to get fat, hard to lose fat.

IMG_20231007_181741.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

On 10/1/2023 at 3:42 PM, Ender said:

Anyone did the OTH One Mile Challenge just now?

Quite pleased with my result for the senior category. Came in 2nd for my batch of runners at 6:16min:sec. The other uncle was just 5 sec ahead of me, always had him in my sight atw. The plan was to overtake him in the last 100m like the China girl who overtook Shanti in the Asean game 100m. Didn't expect him to switch to turbo mode at the end too. LOL.

ac9xZtc8H-Y6uDmkasset2V0dmV2thmHa4LV66Ri

1 mile (1.6km) race seems quite rare here and more popular in US and western. 

For someone ~55 years old??  Commendable timing. With pace >15km/hr I suppose is like sprinting all the way.

You should watch the women 5000m Asian game final where the Indian runner overtake the Japanese runner who is leading all the way until the last~30m at 6:23 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUl2g05QPkU

• Praise 1

Hougang stadium. But the bin collection looks like a closed rubbish bin. Only a not prominently placed sticker say it a recycling bin for shoes. Need to open the lid to confirm when I threw my shoes in it.

• Praise 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:54 PM, TangoCharlie said:

Thanks, didn't realize activesg recycling still on going after the hoo-ha. Shall check out stadiums nearer home

Those recycling bin high chance all sort of rubbish also can find inside the bin. People just bo chap and throw their rubbish into the bin.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, 13177 said:

Those recycling bin high chance all sort of rubbish also can find inside the bin. People just bo chap and throw their rubbish into the bin.

Just do what our part..... 

Recently, I started to take BCAA after exercise for recovery.

Heck care whether natural or not.

As long as I don’t feel shack for the rest of the day.

It works well for me

• Praise 2

Mind boggling to me at 13:50, but it helps to me to understand what's makes a plaque stable.   So chave to take context into consideration when reading the calcium score.

ApoB seems to be the best marker, I wonder why it is not on the standard lipid panel test here?

• Praise 3

400m time trial, i.e piah as fast as possible one round the stadium track.  

https://mothership.sg/2023/10/singapore-sports-school-student-death/

14-year-old S'pore Sports School student dies days after fitness trial, school to investigate

He was taken to the hospital on Oct. 5.

A male 14-year-old Singapore Sports School (SSP) student passed away on Oct. 11, days after undergoing a fitness trial in school.

He was part of the school's badminton academy.

According to the Straits Times (ST), SSP confirmed that the teen was taken to hospital on Oct. 5. He felt unwell after finishing a 400 metres fitness time trial.

CNA reported that the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received a call for assistance at the school on Oct. 5 at about 6:50pm. He was taken to the National University Hospital (NUH).

They further stated that the teen was a part of the Singapore Badminton Association's (SBA) national intermediate squad.

Organs not functioning: Youth's uncle

The youth's uncle, who spoke to CNA, shared that the boy's parents were informed about what had happened when the ambulance was on its way to NUH.

He was quoted as saying that "most of [the boy's] organs were already not functioning" by the time he was attended to by a doctor.

The teen underwent a bypass surgery, and had an operation on his leg, according to CNA.

SSP shared that they are "deeply saddened" by his passing, and will "undertake a detailed investigation into the incident, and thoroughly review our safety protocols, and will keep parents updated".

Top photo from Singapore Sports School's Facebook

• Sad 2

I find this interesting.  According to study, isometric exercise like wall squat are effective for lowering overall BP. For diastolic pressure, Running is the best. But that is not what I experience. My dia P is on the high end of normal and at times cross over to 90 and I run alot.

If going by this study, Wall Squat and running are the best combo most effective exercises to tackle Systolic and diastolic Pressure.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, Ender said:

400m time trial, i.e piah as fast as possible one round the stadium track.  

https://mothership.sg/2023/10/singapore-sports-school-student-death/

14-year-old S'pore Sports School student dies days after fitness trial, school to investigate

He was taken to the hospital on Oct. 5.

A male 14-year-old Singapore Sports School (SSP) student passed away on Oct. 11, days after undergoing a fitness trial in school.

He was part of the school's badminton academy.

According to the Straits Times (ST), SSP confirmed that the teen was taken to hospital on Oct. 5. He felt unwell after finishing a 400 metres fitness time trial.

CNA reported that the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) received a call for assistance at the school on Oct. 5 at about 6:50pm. He was taken to the National University Hospital (NUH).

They further stated that the teen was a part of the Singapore Badminton Association's (SBA) national intermediate squad.

Organs not functioning: Youth's uncle

The youth's uncle, who spoke to CNA, shared that the boy's parents were informed about what had happened when the ambulance was on its way to NUH.

He was quoted as saying that "most of [the boy's] organs were already not functioning" by the time he was attended to by a doctor.

The teen underwent a bypass surgery, and had an operation on his leg, according to CNA.

SSP shared that they are "deeply saddened" by his passing, and will "undertake a detailed investigation into the incident, and thoroughly review our safety protocols, and will keep parents updated".

Top photo from Singapore Sports School's Facebook

I read this. But wah lao, this mean SBA got to be investigated? Why the boy not the one in control when he got bypass and ops on leg?

On 10/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, Arogab said:

I read this. But wah lao, this mean SBA got to be investigated? Why the boy not the one in control when he got bypass and ops on leg?

After he was brought to hospital, in the effort to save him, he had a bypass and also ops on his leg. Strange combi. Any doc can comment?

On 10/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, Sosaria said:

After he was brought to hospital, in the effort to save him, he had a bypass and also ops on his leg. Strange combi. Any doc can comment?

Since "most of [the boy's] organs were already not functioning", death is certainty.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, Sosaria said:

Chim, but I don't see SBA need to be investigated, there must already be some underlying issues

On 10/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, Sosaria said:

Several possibilities come to mind, 
i) the op on the leg can be the saphenous vein graft used in the bypass. Though sometimes they use other vessels for the graft.  usually this is considered the same operation, but maybe the reporter just list as two.
ii) Another possiblity is that he developed blood clots due to the shock, then they need to revascularise the leg
iii) due to reduce blood flow in the shock, he developed compartment syndrome or developed nec fas, then they need to op

Poor boy and poor parents.

• Praise 3

I think with medical intervention, we are in the blue zone. Thru meds, health care we are able to prolong the  lifespan. But this are usually low quality of life. Need lots of reliance on family members to get by. Can't do alot of things by themselves.

But achieving blue zone from healthy lifestyle, we are far from it. The attitude is not there.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/s-pore-wants-to-become-a-blue-zone-30-where-gap-between-life-and-health-spans-is-smaller

S’pore wants to become a Blue Zone 3.0 where gap between life and health spans is smaller

• Praise 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:51 PM, inlinesix said:

Recently, I started to take BCAA after exercise for recovery.

Heck care whether natural or not.

As long as I don’t feel shack for the rest of the day.

It works well for me

Have different types of BCAA

Not sure if it's marketing or really true. Some brand say there's 3 type.

1) Pre workout

2) During workout

3) Post workout.

I usually take before workout.

↡ Advertisement