[Random] Why drive fast?

boonhat_91

Some Friday night food for thought... arguing with CO about my driving style is never ending. She feels that I drive too fast, too recklessly, whereas I feel confident in my ability and in control of the car. How to argue without seeming complacent? Is it complacent or arrogant to say I feel confident in my driving? 

Then the argument is that driving at lower speed will cause less damage if an accident happens, got more time to react..the usual..which is not wrong. So then why does anyone drive fast? What is "fast"?

Why do carmakers make cars with different performance? Given that most countries have speed limits which are way below what a modern car is capable of, why bother to make a vehicle that can go above speed limits? If I were a bmw or merc exec, having studied the singapore car market, I would just make my cars with as small an engine as possible and limit the top speed to 90km/h. Singaporean badge whores (no offence meant here) would lap up my cars and I would be making huge margins by making consumers pay a premium for nothing more than the badge. Until truly autonomous cars become reality this would be the best way to go, no?

Sorry for rambling...just wanna see what opinions there are out there. cheers :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

i buy turbo car cos i can chiet road hogger easily.

driving slow is not equivalent to being more safe.

The End.

• Praise 17

Supersonic

Driving fast is one issue. 

Driving safe is more important.

If you are confident of driving fast and yet ensure safety is important, ignore what others say.

You are the driver.

My opinion is that no matter how confident you are in your driving skills, you should not let your wife feel insecure.

Maybe you can put a cup of water when you drive and learn to be fast without spilling it. If you can do that I'm confident that you are fast and safe.

• Praise 16

(edited)

My opinion is that no matter how confident you are in your driving skills, you should not let your wife feel insecure.

Maybe you can put a cup of water when you drive and learn to be fast without spilling it. If you can do that I'm confident that you are fast and safe.

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 1

Fast if u got full control of ur car, confident not nervous and experienced in defensive driving, theres no wrong.

Yet some people even though drive slow become a hazard for others. Nervous, slow reaction/response, cannot judge other car speed from side mirror and worse part see car cut in dont know what to react and close eye lol

Driving fast is ok if its safe. Even if U drive slow but u go tailgate then is not safe.

Why we drive fast? Sometimes we rushing to our destination, some ppl sai at custom already.

I personally drive slow unless i am in rush then tend to go faster and take lane 1.

• Praise 3

(edited)

For me is car small leg long if dun step harder leg cannot stretch blood cannot flow properly become health hazard. Sometimes angry blood pressure rises and inevitably the increase in turgidity cause my legs to straighten more.

Wifey used to it though she sometimes help me brake. But when need to rush somewhere and I can make it on time, she will tell me good job.

Nevertheless know when to speed when to cool it and just go with the flow, constantly check mirrors to look out for chiobus too.

Edited by Phluvcat

Fast if u got full control of ur car, confident not nervous and experienced in defensive driving, theres no wrong.

Yet some people even though drive slow become a hazard for others. Nervous, slow reaction/response, cannot judge other car speed from side mirror and worse part see car cut in dont know what to react and close eye lol

Driving fast is ok if its safe. Even if U drive slow but u go tailgate then is not safe.

Why we drive fast? Sometimes we rushing to our destination, some ppl sai at custom already.

I personally drive slow unless i am in rush then tend to go faster and take lane 1.

Agree with you bro. But what is considered "fast"? Is there a "too fast" in your vocab?

Then even if you got full control and confident, all it takes one kuku to make the wrong call and maybe cut in front of you..what if his distance vs your speed makes a collision unavoidable despite any defensive driving? 

• Praise 1

wah liao u pirated DVD/BlueRay lah. should be tofu not water leh :)

Wah lau... ur memory no good la... tofu in the trunk.. then cup of water...

• Praise 4

Even if you are very confident with your skills and have a fast performance car, good tyre n etc, you need to understand that driving it’s not just you on the road. There’s so many factors to consider e.g some Drivers are lousy(last sec filter lane without warning), road with oil that is unable to see, your own body(tiredness) even if you are accustomed to be driving fast, road debris and much much more.

With those reasons to factor in, if you drive too fast and unable to react then how? Better be safe than sorry.

• Praise 4

What's your definition of "fast"? Some people think they're going "fast" driving 100km/h on the overtaking lane with at least 200m clear road infront of them and everybody else tailgating him. 

I think the more important question is, why don't people keep left.

• Praise 3

Fast when alone, slow and steady when with family. Never put others' life at risk when driving fast. Fast on express lane and not on HDB road. No matter how good your skills, fast surely prompt danger to yourself and others! Just sharing my experience.

• Praise 3

Maybe you can put a cup of water when you drive and learn to be fast without spilling it. If you can do that I'm confident that you are fast and safe. ð

In a MT AE86!
  • Praise 3

Some Friday night food for thought... arguing with CO about my driving style is never ending. She feels that I drive too fast, too recklessly, whereas I feel confident in my ability and in control of the car. How to argue without seeming complacent? Is it complacent or arrogant to say I feel confident in my driving? 

Do you change lanes/change direction suddenly? Go around corners without slowing down? Do you indicate when you change lanes? Do you drive faster than the cars around you? Brake abruptly? Have road rage, especially with "buey zai" drivers? 

• Praise 1

(edited)

wah liao u pirated DVD/BlueRay lah. should be tofu not water leh :)

Which version you see? Edited by Nicholas

A woman is cooking eggs in the kitchen when her husband comes running in. Immediately, he sees the eggs and gasps in horror.

"Be careful! CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh, my GOSH!"

The wife, startled at her husband's violent reaction, dashes to the fridge to get some butter.

"You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW!"

The wife, concerned by the status of her husband's mental state,forgets about the butter and goes running to the eggs.

"WE NEED BUTTER! Are you CRAZY??? Where are we going to get the butter? They're going to stick! HURRY!"

The wife runs to the fri-

"CAREFUL about the eggs! CAREFUL. You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them quickly! Oh not that quickly, don't you know how to cook? Are you insane? Turn the EGGS!"

At this point, the wife starts crying, since she has no idea what to do.

She gasps, "What is WRONG with you? I know how to cook eggs."

The husband simply smiles and replies, "I just wanted to show you what it feels like while I'm driving with you in the car," and leaves.

Then the argument is that driving at lower speed will cause less damage if an accident happens, got more time to react..the usual..which is not wrong. So then why does anyone drive fast? What is "fast"?

Why do carmakers make cars with different performance? Given that most countries have speed limits which are way below what a modern car is capable of, why bother to make a vehicle that can go above speed limits? If I were a bmw or merc exec, having studied the singapore car market, I would just make my cars with as small an engine as possible and limit the top speed to 90km/h. Singaporean badge whores (no offence meant here) would lap up my cars and I would be making huge margins by making consumers pay a premium for nothing more than the badge. Until truly autonomous cars become reality this would be the best way to go, no?

Sorry for rambling...just wanna see what opinions there are out there. cheers :D

• Praise 18
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

What car do u drive your wife in, may I ask?

Some cars feel like u are in roller coaster and in a boat, but some others u feel like a baby cot.. At the same speed and perhaps driving style.

Edited by Solar
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1