Rimowa luggage

joSG

Turbocharged

I was sold by the Rimowa wheels. Traveling average 1st every 2-3 month. I don't see any others brand wheel come close.

Had used before Samsonite (still using), American Tourister, and some others brand.

Currently had 3 Remowa, all bought in Germany so price still not so bad especially after tax refund.

As some bros said, better to buy the aluminium one. Slightly more heavy but solid like a rock.

Is there a difference between the wheels for the polycarbonate and aluminium ones for rimowa? Visually the wheels looks the same so I got the polycarbonate one, less obvious.

To me the MOST important thing is the wheel as that one always dies.... Samsonite cannot make it nowadays for me. Now I am using a Tumi and a Rimowa. Lets see which one dies earlier.... both very big like 30" above so lots of stress on the wheels. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

There is 1 tourist shop in Munich give 10% discount.

If you get German to buy for you, maybe 20% discount.

Hi bro,

Do you know the name of the shop? I tried googling but it is not mentioned. 

(edited)

i did not bought from them

i bought from another shop ... totally forgot the name liao

there are many shops there near the popular munich square (Marienplatz)

the shop manned by a taiwanese

similar discount + direct minus tax ... no need tax refund at airport

cash only!!!

chinese really know how to do business

huat ah!

Lederwaren Hetzenecker

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Japanese-luggage-titan-Ace-thrives-with-a-little-help-from-a-torture-room2?utm_campaign=RN Subscriber newsletter&utm_medium=weekly newsletter&utm_source=NAR Newsletter&utm_content=article link

Japanese luggage titan Ace thrives with a little help from a 'torture room'

Diversification and a commitment to 'Made in Japan' give the decades-old business global cachet

Words by JUNICHI TOYOFUKU Photography by NATSUMI CHIBA August 26, 2019 11:41 JST

image.thumb.png.3afb27cdd991c1effcc8bb04090398f2.png

Before an Ace suitcase hits the market, a lot of testing is done in the "torture room," right.

Hiroaki Morishita is telling us about his company's "torture room." But don't be alarmed: It's for suitcases.

"It's a quality-control room where we test everything from wheels to handles in different temperatures," says the CEO of Japanese luggage titan Ace, sitting in his office at the company's Harajuku HQ.

To ensure suitcases can withstand cobblestones in Rome and the subzero temperatures of an airplane's hold, Ace's state-of-the-art Proteca models are put through their paces in this small space. They're dropped from a height, fixed on a treadmill to travel 16 km and locked in for 500 hours at 40 C with 85% humidity. Ace is so confident in its product that it offers unlimited free repairs for three years.

Bags are taken very seriously in Japan. People appreciate quality in everything from crisp canvas totes to hard-backed four-wheel suitcases. Ace has been selling handsome carriers for about 80 years, and these days boasts annual revenue of 33 billion yen ($310 million) and 100 shops around the world. (Its main competitor is the Samsonite group, whose bags it used to produce under license.) Leading Japanese department stores such as Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and Tokyu Hands cannot get enough of the models from two of Ace's original brands, while international players including Mackintosh Philosophy, Adidas and Champion depend on Ace to produce their Boston bags and backpacks under license. Now it's looking to boost its global profile.

Ace was founded by the late Ryusaku Shinkawa. He started with a small bag-manufacturing company in Osaka in 1940 and was always on the lookout for the next big thing. He collaborated with textiles behemoth Toray on now-classic ranges of nylon and synthetic leather holdalls in the 1950s and 1960s, and signed a licensing deal with Samsonite under which he produced its first "Made in Japan" suitcases. Still restless, he toured the globe in search of ideas and returned to produce the Madison Bag, a school holdall that sold 10 million units.

image.png.26e1f26ab4c3ef66ba81f59ab68c2244.png

Morishita, who was born in Ishikawa and studied economics at Keio, joined Ace in 1986 and took over as CEO in 2006. He has a punishing schedule, with regular trips to Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Singapore (where he has opened subsidiary companies), as well as New York. He regularly swings by department store concessions across Japan to gauge opinions about Ace's brands from shop-floor staff.

His most inspired move has been to develop Ace's own brands. Within a year of taking over he had led Ace's acquisition of U.S. luggage brand Zero Halliburton, best known for its high-end aluminum suitcases. "We need to cater [to different audiences] with different prices and tastes through multiple sales channels, just like Toyota has Lexus, Crown and Corolla," he says. Ace already had about 30 original bag and luggage labels back in 2005 but it was missing a luxury product -- until the Zero Halliburton purchase.

Like many Japanese companies across all manner of sectors, Ace made great products but struggled to develop its brand name. When Morishita took over, 80% of the company's income depended on licensing, with the rest coming from its original brands. Today those numbers have almost reversed: Ace's own products bring in three-quarters of its revenue.

The most compelling offering is the Proteca label, which is produced at Ace's 130-person-strong factory in the Hokkaido city of Akabira. "Our suitcases are real 'Made in Japan,' not in name only," says Morishita. In an age where the meaning of country-of-origin tags is clouded by phrases such as "assembled in" or "designed in," Ace does literally everything in Japan, including molding polycarbonate shells, bending magnesium frames and assembling the final Proteca products.

"At one point I wondered if we should stick to 'Made in Japan,'" he says. "I could have chosen a path of profit first but I opted for monozukuri (craftsmanship) instead." Ace commissioned award-winning Japanese design studio Nendo to refresh the signature Proteca suitcase with new design details and functions. Soon after, its first Proteca flagship store opened in Hibiya, Tokyo, near the Imperial Palace.

Morishita is constantly scanning the horizon for opportunities. "The investment in airport infrastructure is growing in Asia -- such as with the expansion of runways -- and this means there's a greater movement of people in the Pan-Pacific region," he says. By 2023 he aims to have doubled Ace's number of stockists in Asia (there are currently 80). An office in Taipei and a partnership in Seoul are in the works this year, with projects in China to follow. As it stands, Shanghai is Ace's main Chinese market, but Morishita is looking to open shops in other major cities, such as Beijing and Chengdu.

"We're a 79-year-old company but our global expansion has only just begun," says Morishita. "Our strengths are attention to detail and the excellent quality that is unique to Japan." And don't forget that torture room.

This report first appeared in Monocle magazine. To find out more about the magazine and to subscribe, visit monocle.com.

• Praise 3

On 8/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, steveluv said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Japanese-luggage-titan-Ace-thrives-with-a-little-help-from-a-torture-room2?utm_campaign=RN Subscriber newsletter&utm_medium=weekly newsletter&utm_source=NAR Newsletter&utm_content=article link

Diversification and a commitment to 'Made in Japan' give the decades-old business global cachet

Words by JUNICHI TOYOFUKU Photography by NATSUMI CHIBA August 26, 2019 11:41 JST

Before an Ace suitcase hits the market, a lot of testing is done in the "torture room," right.

Hiroaki Morishita is telling us about his company's "torture room." But don't be alarmed: It's for suitcases.

"It's a quality-control room where we test everything from wheels to handles in different temperatures," says the CEO of Japanese luggage titan Ace, sitting in his office at the company's Harajuku HQ.

To ensure suitcases can withstand cobblestones in Rome and the subzero temperatures of an airplane's hold, Ace's state-of-the-art Proteca models are put through their paces in this small space. They're dropped from a height, fixed on a treadmill to travel 16 km and locked in for 500 hours at 40 C with 85% humidity. Ace is so confident in its product that it offers unlimited free repairs for three years.

Bags are taken very seriously in Japan. People appreciate quality in everything from crisp canvas totes to hard-backed four-wheel suitcases. Ace has been selling handsome carriers for about 80 years, and these days boasts annual revenue of 33 billion yen ($310 million) and 100 shops around the world. (Its main competitor is the Samsonite group, whose bags it used to produce under license.) Leading Japanese department stores such as Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and Tokyu Hands cannot get enough of the models from two of Ace's original brands, while international players including Mackintosh Philosophy, Adidas and Champion depend on Ace to produce their Boston bags and backpacks under license. Now it's looking to boost its global profile.

Ace was founded by the late Ryusaku Shinkawa. He started with a small bag-manufacturing company in Osaka in 1940 and was always on the lookout for the next big thing. He collaborated with textiles behemoth Toray on now-classic ranges of nylon and synthetic leather holdalls in the 1950s and 1960s, and signed a licensing deal with Samsonite under which he produced its first "Made in Japan" suitcases. Still restless, he toured the globe in search of ideas and returned to produce the Madison Bag, a school holdall that sold 10 million units.

Morishita, who was born in Ishikawa and studied economics at Keio, joined Ace in 1986 and took over as CEO in 2006. He has a punishing schedule, with regular trips to Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Singapore (where he has opened subsidiary companies), as well as New York. He regularly swings by department store concessions across Japan to gauge opinions about Ace's brands from shop-floor staff.

His most inspired move has been to develop Ace's own brands. Within a year of taking over he had led Ace's acquisition of U.S. luggage brand Zero Halliburton, best known for its high-end aluminum suitcases. "We need to cater [to different audiences] with different prices and tastes through multiple sales channels, just like Toyota has Lexus, Crown and Corolla," he says. Ace already had about 30 original bag and luggage labels back in 2005 but it was missing a luxury product -- until the Zero Halliburton purchase.

Like many Japanese companies across all manner of sectors, Ace made great products but struggled to develop its brand name. When Morishita took over, 80% of the company's income depended on licensing, with the rest coming from its original brands. Today those numbers have almost reversed: Ace's own products bring in three-quarters of its revenue.

The most compelling offering is the Proteca label, which is produced at Ace's 130-person-strong factory in the Hokkaido city of Akabira. "Our suitcases are real 'Made in Japan,' not in name only," says Morishita. In an age where the meaning of country-of-origin tags is clouded by phrases such as "assembled in" or "designed in," Ace does literally everything in Japan, including molding polycarbonate shells, bending magnesium frames and assembling the final Proteca products.

"At one point I wondered if we should stick to 'Made in Japan,'" he says. "I could have chosen a path of profit first but I opted for monozukuri (craftsmanship) instead." Ace commissioned award-winning Japanese design studio Nendo to refresh the signature Proteca suitcase with new design details and functions. Soon after, its first Proteca flagship store opened in Hibiya, Tokyo, near the Imperial Palace.

Morishita is constantly scanning the horizon for opportunities. "The investment in airport infrastructure is growing in Asia -- such as with the expansion of runways -- and this means there's a greater movement of people in the Pan-Pacific region," he says. By 2023 he aims to have doubled Ace's number of stockists in Asia (there are currently 80). An office in Taipei and a partnership in Seoul are in the works this year, with projects in China to follow. As it stands, Shanghai is Ace's main Chinese market, but Morishita is looking to open shops in other major cities, such as Beijing and Chengdu.

"We're a 79-year-old company but our global expansion has only just begun," says Morishita. "Our strengths are attention to detail and the excellent quality that is unique to Japan." And don't forget that torture room.

This report first appeared in Monocle magazine. To find out more about the magazine and to subscribe, visit monocle.com.

So what is the price compare to Remowa? 

• Praise 1

Steveluv my man

if you have time, read the book The King Never Smiles. But dont bring into Thailand or you will be banned.

• Praise 2

20 hours ago, Tohto said:

Sorry I have no idea. I just happened to see this article at Asia Nikkei so I thought I would like to share it here with readers to consider especially for myself too a diehard Rimowa supporter. I will get one the next time I visit Japan.

20 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

Steveluv my man

if you have time, read the book The King Never Smiles. But dont bring into Thailand or you will be banned.

Thanks. I have read it more than ten years ago in when first published. Interesting insight.

Anyway I was a bit shock with your message in this thread about luggage 😂. Didn't expect it.

People like me staying here should not get involve with politics should always be neutral and don't show colour (I mean literally, yellow and red example). Life will be wonderful without getting involve, after-all this is not my country, not yet.

• Praise 3

i think its avail in taka... maybe go japan better price

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
On 5/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, Tohto said:

I bought both in Germany, so it is like half price compared to here after tax rebate.

I'm also planning to buy a Rimowa luggage from Germany. My question is about the tax rebate. As far as I know the product can't be unpacked because in order to get the tax rebate the product should kept in its pack/box till you leave the customs. But if I do not unpack the luggage  it's difficult to carry it with its box (It's like a second luggage). If I unbox it and put my stuff in the luggage can I still get the refund stamp from the custom officer? Or no way out... 

How did you do it?

Thanks you in advance for your reply...

Edited by Cleanton

6 hours ago, Cleanton said:

I'm also planning to buy a Rimowa luggage from Germany. My question is about the tax rebate. As far as I know the product can't be unpacked because in order to get the tax rebate the product should kept in its pack/box till you leave the customs. But if I do not unpack the luggage  it's difficult to carry it with its box (It's like a second luggage). If I unbox it and put my stuff in the luggage can I still get the refund stamp from the custom officer? Or no way out... 

How did you do it?

Thanks you in advance for your reply...

Luggage I used it straight away. 

At Frankfurt airport, after check in at the counter. You need to tell the counter staff you are claiming tax  rebate. They will put on all the check in tag but not collect the luggage.

Then you will need to go to the tax rebate counter tell them you claim for the luggage. Settled all paper, they will take over the luggage for check in. 

If I remember correctly, the rebate money only collect after you go through the immigration and in the air side. Take there collection ticket issue by the outside counter to go collect the money. 

Will plan more time and arrive early at the airport.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tohto said:

I remember Zero Haliburton pricing is roughly similar to Rimowa.

The other less-luxury brands in the Ace portfolio should be Samsonite pricing I guess

Just now, Noah_yap said:

I like more alumunioum one, somehow look more elegant

until you need to lift up the luggage ... sibei heavy

• Haha! 2

rimowa luggage are much heavier that the normal luggage. it may not be practical from a travelling perspective, but if you prefer the more sturdy feel of the luggage, you will learn to appreciate them. Same as driving a mercedes benz and japanese - honda car analogy.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Dinosaur33 said:

rimowa luggage are much heavier that the normal luggage. it may not be practical from a travelling perspective, but if you prefer the more sturdy feel of the luggage, you will learn to appreciate them. Same as driving a mercedes benz and japanese - honda car analogy.

can afford to buy that will be flying in business class or first class, weight limit is not a problem [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2