Rimowa luggage

joSG

Neutral Newbie

I have been mightily disappointed with the two Rimowa's that we have purchased. Costing 1,000 USD a piece, we have yet to make a multi-stop trip without one or the other being severely damaged. On our trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, the clasp was snapped and a hole punched in the polycarbonate shell. Rimowa will not fix or replace, as they explained their warranty "only covered defects." Well, I am assuming something this expensive went through some sort of quality control so that there are no initial defects. However, the only way to keep your Rimowa bag intact seems to be to leave it in the closet. I have any number of inexpensive bags that have stood up far better than these two overpriced and overly delicate pieces. I will never buy RImowa again. This is for rich tourists who can afford the aluminum versions, which I imagine might stand up a bit better. We purchased the best polycarbonate model and have had nothing but trouble. I would advise--STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY!!!!

We bought these on the recommendations of friends, only to realize that they only used the carryons. They simply do not hold up to the wear and tear of normal travel. They puncture easily, the locks break easily, and your valuables are simply not secure.

↡ Advertisement

Just happened to read an article about the third richest guy on the planet. He owns Lvmh which owns Rimowa. He should thank you for your contribution. Maybe spoilt buy another one can contribute again... LOL.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Just buy any cheap and reliable luggage will do, no need to pay for brand. If it spoil, either get it repaired or buy a new one. My only consideration is the color has to be very odd, so that when I stand at the carousel, I dont have to look for my luggage, the luggage will look for me.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Just buy any cheap and reliable luggage will do, no need to pay for brand. If it spoil, either get it repaired or buy a new one. My only consideration is the color has to be very odd, so that when I stand at the carousel, I dont have to look for my luggage, the luggage will look for me.

Agreed. Had my Tumi luggage damaged by SQ once. Due to some circumstances, had to pay a visit to the repair shop. Saw a large number of high end luggages over there including lots of Rimowa and some LVs too.. Asked the uncle and he said don’t bother with expensive luggage’s. They will all fail after 5 years. Good enlightening experience.

Supersonic

Buy expensive luggage just for the bag handlers

to throw here throw there get scratches and

then feel heart pain just to keep your

dirty underwear and then complain

cost of living is too high?

First world thread. [thumbsup]

:D

Wahaha...agreed

Besides, whenever I'm in Europe, always see PRCs swamp the Rimowa stores n snapping them up maciam free liddat

I scare kena identity theft so it's Samsonite or Lojel for me....

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Buy expensive luggage just for the bag handlers

to throw here throw there get scratches and

then feel heart pain just to keep your

dirty underwear and then complain

cost of living is too high?

First world thread.  [thumbsup]

:D

I thought the whole pt of buying expensive luggage is to carry on and show how satki you are to the waitress when she helps you stow the luggage?

• Praise 1

I thought the whole pt of buying expensive luggage is to carry on and show how satki you are to the waitress when she helps you stow the luggage?

Basically Correct.

Not just to the stewardess but to the whole world.

To show people they can afford to buy.

But whether they can afford to use it , thats another thing

I see some OL carry $5000 handbag but they treat it better than they treat themselves

I also see some people wear Rolex but so carefully as if the watch owns them instead.

Oooooopps, for this, we are going to be flamed, you know, @Kusje ?

Muayahahaha

Hypersonic

Basically Correct.

Not just to the stewardess but to the whole world.

To show people they can afford to buy.

But whether they can afford to use it , thats another thing

I see some OL carry $5000 handbag but they treat it better than they treat themselves

I also see some people wear Rolex but so carefully as if the watch owns them instead.

Muayahahaha

good thing I cannot afford a rolex, so never will understand how it feels to be own by a watch... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Supersonic

Now I'll look like PRC.. sian

Dun sian. Be kind. Give away to those who need it more than u - PRCs

Twincharged

There are many types of travellers. For pleasure, for work, some travel once and year some like me have to travel at least once a month. My conclusion about luggage is there is not a single brand of luggage that fits everyone. Anyway the basic thing about a luggage is to transport your stuff safely, securely and reliably from point A to point B and back to point A most of the time. 

For me who has to travel a lot my needs are different and perhaps higher than a normal guy who use the luggage for twice a year holiday. So for me a very reliable and high quality luggage is important. I have to admit that Samsonite is enough for me however over the years when my Samsonites breakdown and damaged I explored other brands and then I discovered that they are better than my old brands. Please allow me to comment on each that I tried.

1. Tumi - the build is so so don't expect it to last like a Samsonite, the wheels are bad.

2. Lojel (Japanese) - is my work horse I use my Lojel for all sorts of travelling, wheels are great probably the best wheels after Rimowa (unbeatable).

3. ACE (Japanese) - is another very reliable brand have 2 of these still using it occasionally, wheels are fantastic too, ACE gives you a strong impression.

4. Delsey - had 2 Delsey luggage once lasted only 2 years

5. Rimowa - Wife has 3 of these 32", 28" and a cabin all aluminium she kept telling me its great when I bought 2 (30" and cabin) last year while in Germany and use them then I finally know what she meant. The wheels are unparalleled no other brands can beat it. Build wise is solid again plastics cannot compare. I now swear by it. 

6. ZERO Halliburton - this brand I think try to position on the same level as Rimowa, the design and build gives an impression that the luggage is solid like a rock and will never break apart really strong. Using the 30" and cabin black aluminum its as good as the Rimowa in build however wheels still not as good as Rimowa.

In conclusion if you a re a heavy user the best compromise is the Lojel and ACE from Japan if budget allows go for the Rimowa you will not regret. 

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

I gave up on Delsey after the distro did not store wheels for replacements, it was those skate wheel types.

Now using lojel. Wheel replacements are easy at the distro, 30min and gao tim.

• Praise 1

There are many types of travellers. For pleasure, for work, some travel once and year some like me have to travel at least once a month. My conclusion about luggage is there is not a single brand of luggage that fits everyone. Anyway the basic thing about a luggage is to transport your stuff safely, securely and reliably from point A to point B and back to point A most of the time.

For me who has to travel a lot my needs are different and perhaps higher than a normal guy who use the luggage for twice a year holiday. So for me a very reliable and high quality luggage is important. I have to admit that Samsonite is enough for me however over the years when my Samsonites breakdown and damaged I explored other brands and then I discovered that they are better than my old brands. Please allow me to comment on each that I tried.

1. Tumi - the build is so so don't expect it to last like a Samsonite, the wheels are bad.

2. Lojel (Japanese) - is my work horse I use my Lojel for all sorts of travelling, wheels are great probably the best wheels after Rimowa (unbeatable).

3. ACE (Japanese) - is another very reliable brand have 2 of these still using it occasionally, wheels are fantastic too, ACE gives you a strong impression.

4. Delsey - had 2 Delsey luggage once lasted only 2 years

5. Rimowa - Wife has 3 of these 32", 28" and a cabin all aluminium she kept telling me its great when I bought 2 (30" and cabin) last year while in Germany and use them then I finally know what she meant. The wheels are unparalleled no other brands can beat it. Build wise is solid again plastics cannot compare. I now swear by it.

6. ZERO Halliburton - this brand I think try to position on the same level as Rimowa, the design and build gives an impression that the luggage is solid like a rock and will never break apart really strong. Using the 30" and cabin black aluminum its as good as the Rimowa in build however wheels still not as good as Rimowa.

In conclusion if you a re a heavy user the best compromise is the Lojel and ACE from Japan if budget allows go for the Rimowa you will not regret.

How often do you travel?

I never see the need to move on from my Samsonite and Lojel. Yes, they breakdown, especially the wheels, every 4/5 years, but It is $20-25 per wheel replacement or just buy a new bag and get 4 brand new wheels. The economics don't quite make sense to me when a Rimowa cost a few times more than a Samsonite and the typical lugguage belt to taxi stand is like 500m?

As for carry on, I have moved on from nice wheeled cabin bags to haversack but for day trip, I still use my Samsonite wheeled cabin bags, it might make sense to invest in a Rimowa cause the wheels will be covering more distance? Agree?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

How often do you travel?

I never see the need to move on from my Samsonite and Lojel. Yes, they breakdown, especially the wheels, every 4/5 years, but It is $20-25 per wheel replacement or just buy a new bag and get 4 brand new wheels. The economics don't quite make sense to me when a Rimowa cost a few times more than a Samsonite and the typical lugguage belt to taxi stand is like 500m?

As for carry on, I have moved on from nice wheeled cabin bags to haversack but for day trip, I still use my Samsonite wheeled cabin bags, it might make sense to invest in a Rimowa cause the wheels will be covering more distance? Agree?

Where do you fix samsonite wheels for $25? Can share?

Mine was damaged during check in and bent. I just dragged it on the other 3 wheels for that trip haha. After that claim insurance.

(edited)

Where do you fix samsonite wheels for $25? Can share?

Mine was damaged during check in and bent. I just dragged it on the other 3 wheels for that trip haha. After that claim insurance.

Samsonite Aftersales Service

82, Lor 23 Geylang, #01-04, Atrix Building, 388409

https://g.co/kgs/rBRv5x

Depends on model hor.

Edited by Voodooman

Supersonic

Samsonite Aftersales Service

82, Lor 23 Geylang, #01-04, Atrix Building, 388409

https://g.co/kgs/rBRv5x

Depends on model hor.

Oh, I thought the official AD would charge through the nose for it.

Will call them to check.

Tks.

↡ Advertisement