Car air-con

Discoburg

(edited)

Aircon stopped being cold over the weekend on my 14 year old Toyota Picnic.  Did not have time to shop around so took it to a shop my friend recommended at Bukit Merah.  The boss checked the fan, piping, etc, with a torchlight and said it is likely the cooling coil leak.  Picnic has two cooling coils, was quoted $800 to replace both or $450 for the front coil and if still leak then $350 for the rear coil.  Opted to replace the front coil first for $450 all in, using OEM parts. 

Is this a fair price?  I read someone had his coil replaced for $400 at a Woodlands workshop although that was back in 2019, and others posted $500+ but for continental cars.  

Edited by VictorLim
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
50 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

Aircon stopped being cold over the weekend on my 14 year old Toyota Picnic.  Did not have time to shop around so took it to a shop my friend recommended at Bukit Merah.  The boss checked the fan, piping, etc, with a torchlight and said it is likely the cooling coil leak.  Picnic has two cooling coils, was quoted $800 to replace both or $450 for the front coil and if still leak then $350 for the rear coil.  Opted to replace the front coil first for $450 all in, using OEM parts. 

Is this a fair price?  I read someone had his coil replaced for $400 at a Woodlands workshop although that was back in 2019, and others posted $500+ but for continental cars.  

check out L&Kim at ubi. he actually removed the blower fan and put in a borescope to check if the cooling coil is leaking. not just shine a torch around in the engine bay and then conclude.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Just changed my old rikecool film into rikecool platinum but the car is still feel incredibly hot for the past few days. And my aircon took quite a while to cool down the cabin with lowest temp and max fan speed. Has anyone tried using 8line to clean their aircon and if yes, is it effective?

Thank you.

Supercharged
On 5/20/2018 at 5:38 PM, Kb27 said:

New Luck at Kaki Bukit Autobay

Thanks, Kb27! Car aircon not cool in my 11-year-old Sylphy so went there this morning. Replaced cooling coil, expansion valve and aircon filter, topped up gas, and checked for leaks (none found). 6-month warranty; 2hr job.

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Kklim said:

Thanks, Kb27! Car aircon not cool in my 11-year-old Sylphy so went there this morning. Replaced cooling coil, expansion valve and aircon filter, topped up gas, and checked for leaks (none found). 6-month warranty; 2hr job.

What's the damage?

On 8/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Kklim said:

Hey interesting, they can replace  cooling cool within 2hours  ? Do you mean compressor? Replacing cooling coil will involve removing the front dashboard which will  require some time 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Hey interesting, they can replace  cooling cool within 2hours  ? Do you mean compressor? Replacing cooling coil will involve removing the front dashboard which will  require some time 

Not for my model. Guess they've done enough such jobs to be able to avoid removing the dash. Saw a Merc with the entire dashboard sitting on top of the car. Aircon work too.

• Praise 1

Just when I asked this question in the morning,  my w212 aircon kaput in the afternoon. My son help me sent it to Kim, now I am here to pick it up, still not ready for collection , replaced Denso compressor and Denso condenser,  I don't know how much yet but I prepare 1.5k so that later I can feel it is cheap. 😅😅😅

I had wanted to replace the compressor 3 years ago  because i hear some noise but my mechanic advised me not to since it is still cold, so now I have saved 3 years of compressor lifespan.😃

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Just when I asked this question in the morning,  my w212 aircon kaput in the afternoon. My son help me sent it to Kim, now I am here to pick it up, still not ready for collection , replaced Denso compressor and Denso condenser,  I don't know how much yet but I prepare 1.5k so that later I can feel it is cheap. 😅😅😅

I had wanted to replace the compressor 3 years ago  because i hear some noise but my mechanic advised me not to since it is still cold, so now I have saved 3 years of compressor lifespan.😃

I guess 1.2k if using denso

🙂

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

You jinxed it bro. 🤣

Why never try New Luck?

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

As long as the compressor doesn’t jam and breaks down, then no need to replace the condenser. If compressor jams then the metal shavings will flood the condenser and drier. There is no way to flush the condenser as the fins are very thin and small. 
the evaporator on the other hand has big tubes and can easily be flushed. 
so 2 schools of thought. 
One, just use till the compressor blows up or whatever and replace condenser if it does. 
Two, catch the compressor failure earlier enough so that replacing it only is good enough. 

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

As long as the compressor doesn’t jam and breaks down, then no need to replace the condenser. If compressor jams then the metal shavings will flood the condenser and drier. There is no way to flush the condenser as the fins are very thin and small. 
the evaporator on the other hand has big tubes and can easily be flushed. 
so 2 schools of thought. 
One, just use till the compressor blows up or whatever and replace condenser if it does. 
Two, catch the compressor failure earlier enough so that replacing it only is good enough. 

You are correct, my scenario belonged to the second type, the compressor blew up, the condenser got contaminated, total damage was $1,420.00.

@Fcw75, I might have better luck if i have gone to New Luck?😅😅

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

16 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

You are correct, my scenario belonged to the second type, the compressor blew up, the condenser got contaminated, total damage was $1,420.00.

@Fcw75, I might have better luck if i have gone to New Luck?😅😅

Hello, did they also replace the piping ?  especially the drier ?

5 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

Hello, did they also replace the piping ?  especially the drier ?

No they did not. Trouble coming my way? 

11 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Not that I want to scare you ........But hor....

Usually, when you have to discharge the gas to do repair,  the drier is always replaced as it is usually the only place where there is a filter, hence, all the debris is stopped there lor.

And it is a low cost item compared to the compressor or condenser lor.  Check where is the drier for your car ?  Integrated at the Condenser or Suction pipe....

The following should be changed :

a) Suction Pipe where there is a drier. 

b) Discharge Pipe - Where spoil or not, it is because it is a rubber pipe and the high pressure exist lor.

c) Expansion Valve ....... this is probably the most prone to breakage one.  It is usually jammed open or closed.  This regulate the pressure to the evaporator (coiling), if the expansion valve failure cause icing, it will break the evaporator lor .......

How long the mechanic do the vacuum, also matter lor ........ Vacuuming is to purge the air in the system, the most important thing is to remove water (vapour) lor ......... Water boil away because without pressure, water readily become a gaseous state lor.  Good one need..... as long as 45mins.  Most aircon man in SG say 30 seconds wor .....

Then hor, the adding of oil into the system,

d) Change pipe add back 10~30ml PER Pipe.

e) New compressor is always prefilled with 100~150ml, so no need to do anything. Just need to check during unpacking if there is leak mark at the joint point.  This is due to transportation.

f) Evaporator and Condenser add 30~50ml PER device.

Of course got add, the mechanic say ...... there lor, that little bottle .....

Anw, just look see ba ........ since it is already done ..... it is not going to die immediately ...... usually in years one .....

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Don't worry so much. If anything, just go back find Ah Kim. He will resolve it for you. I am sure he did a decent job. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Apple-Tree said:

Not that I want to scare you ........But hor....

Usually, when you have to discharge the gas to do repair,  the drier is always replaced as it is usually the only place where there is a filter, hence, all the debris is stopped there lor.

And it is a low cost item compared to the compressor or condenser lor.  Check where is the drier for your car ?  Integrated at the Condenser or Suction pipe....

The following should be changed :

a) Suction Pipe where there is a drier. 

b) Discharge Pipe - Where spoil or not, it is because it is a rubber pipe and the high pressure exist lor.

c) Expansion Valve ....... this is probably the most prone to breakage one.  It is usually jammed open or closed.  This regulate the pressure to the evaporator (coiling), if the expansion valve failure cause icing, it will break the evaporator lor .......

How long the mechanic do the vacuum, also matter lor ........ Vacuuming is to purge the air in the system, the most important thing is to remove water (vapour) lor ......... Water boil away because without pressure, water readily become a gaseous state lor.  Good one need..... as long as 45mins.  Most aircon man in SG say 30 seconds wor .....

Then hor, the adding of oil into the system,

d) Change pipe add back 10~30ml PER Pipe.

e) New compressor is always prefilled with 100~150ml, so no need to do anything. Just need to check during unpacking if there is leak mark at the joint point.  This is due to transportation.

f) Evaporator and Condenser add 30~50ml PER device.

Of course got add, the mechanic say ...... there lor, that little bottle .....

Anw, just look see ba ........ since it is already done ..... it is not going to die immediately ...... usually in years one .....

Wah thanks  for sharing the detail information,  since it is not going to cause immediate failure, I will just leave it as it is. I have cater for enough to repair my COE car 😃😃

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3