Car air-con

Discoburg

Hi

Can I know what's the typical cost for gas top-up? I have about 1-2 weeks more before collecting my new ride but the afternoon sun these few days are unbearable.

Can I top up like half or something? Haha.

↡ Advertisement

Hi

Can I know what's the typical cost for gas top-up? I have about 1-2 weeks more before collecting my new ride but the afternoon sun these few days are unbearable.

If you are familiar with the mechanic, they will do it for free. Otherwise $25 to $40 depending on workshop.

Hypersonic

Hi

Try Kim Aircon.

Should be $20-25. 

Hi

Look for Fave deals, there are car servicing packages @ $38 which include air-con gas top up for free.

Recently started to troubleshoot my own vehicle A/C

Check compressor 

Check fan

check gas 

Check condensor. Took apart the whole front bumper and clean it to sparking clean myself

All above is working as it should but A/C is still very weak.

Finally found out the expansion valve is frozen with ice. A serviceable expansion valve should not be frozen.

A simple part that cost about 100 150 to replace

After replacing, A/C works like a new car.

Car-ac-expansion-valve.jpg

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I went to L & Kim Air Con at Ubi yesterday as my air con to fix my air con. Initially, I tot my cooling coil GG alrd. Cause my air con suddenly when from cold to blowing hot air.

The boss is very helpful, and after a complete check, he spotted the leak is at the pipe and suggested me on changing the pipe.

Very reasonable in pricing too. L & Kim Air Con have quite many workers too. So their turnover is quite fast.  

post-137774-0-17952500-1552964774_thumb.jpg

Try Kim Aircon.

Should be $20-25. 

• Praise 2

If your car's air-conditioning system blows only warm air on hot days, it's   because itis low on refrigerant, and the most likely cause is a leak and if there are no problems, coolant is not consumed by the vehicleauto's AC is in need of repair, there is no need to "top off" the system. 

Go to car dot com for more info. Thanks

Hello Discoburg, fellow Mz2 owner here.  

Had the same problem as you recently. Went to Mark Cool at Woodlands after reading reviews of various workshops. Ah Huat suspected it's the condenser after I described the problem and he hooked up the meter. Gave me a quote which I agreed. Then he started to remove the stuff to confirm if it's really the condenser. He showed me the oil leaks. Went ahead with the job, OEM condenser. Total damage $400 + gst, 3 hours. 

I might've been able to get it done a bit cheaper elsewhere but I was happy with the level of detail and friendliness.

He said parts don't last long nowadays. Only 3 years be it original or OEM. Many other makes are also like this but maybe it's true that Mazda parts are more expensive than other Jap brands.

• Praise 2

Hi all,

Apologies on hijacking the thread as I specifically created an account to seek help from the honorable kakis here.  

Additionally, I think my question might be of use to some folks experiencing the same issue.

So here goes:  recently purchased a 10-year old car, everything seemed fine and have driven it for about a month until recently, one of my family member remarked that the interior smelled like "Dead rats"/burning smell. I didnt think much of it until about 2 weeks after when the air-con starting becoming weaker and weaker.

It was up till a certain point it stopped blowing cold air and made a really loud hissing sound. Despite so the fan still works.

Suspected that there was a problem with the valve and on the advice and recommendation of a friend, sent it to a mechanic somewhere in Kaki Bukit. 

Mechanic inspected the car and said that there was nothing wrong with the compressor. He then proceeded to take out the valve and said that it was clogged/dirty and suggested a replacement. The valve was then replaced followed by a series of releasing and pumping of freon gas. The whole process took about 4 hours. 

He mentioned that he has replaced the valve and pumped in the gas and suggested that it has something to do with cooling coil/condenser/fan of which he couldnt pin point on the spot exactly as he needed to dismantle the car. He also mentioned that it will be cold when the car is moving but not so when it is stationary and proceed to suggest that he will not bill me this time round.

Right after it was cold as the arctic but about 2 days later i began smelling the "dead rat" smell. After about a day after the weird smell, the coolness wore off. The air-con began to hiss and was not cold when in stationary mode. When driving it was slightly cooler (not much) and the hissing sound was gone.

Coincidentally, just when the coldness wore off I received a text from the mechanic asking me what's the status of the air-con. I told him it wasnt as cold and he suggested that i come down to the WS for a full inspection. 

Went down the 2nd time for inspection and was told that there were several issues like: condenser hoses and pipe jam and "many other items to change" if i want the ac problem fixed. Quoted me an estimate of 1k-2k to which I declined as I need more time to research and gather 2nd and 3rd opinion. 

Right after 2nd inspection, I was billed about $220 for flushing of aircon, the change in valve and labour cost associated with the 1st inspection. The car was cold for the first 1 -2 days but then totally fell apart. Now the hissing sound is back regardless of whether it is stationary or moving and totally fail to emit any cool air.

Thanks for making it thus far. Would appreciate some advice from the kakis as to whether or not what the WS said was legit and that the costs are justified. I will attach some pictures here as well, many thanks! 

photo6206253856577399388.jpg

photo6206253856577399389.jpg

photo6206253856577399390.jpg

photo6206253856577399391.jpg

10 hours ago, katoshka said:

Hi all,

Apologies on hijacking the thread as I specifically created an account to seek help from the honorable kakis here.  

Additionally, I think my question might be of use to some folks experiencing the same issue.

So here goes:  recently purchased a 10-year old car, everything seemed fine and have driven it for about a month until recently, one of my family member remarked that the interior smelled like "Dead rats"/burning smell. I didnt think much of it until about 2 weeks after when the air-con starting becoming weaker and weaker.

It was up till a certain point it stopped blowing cold air and made a really loud hissing sound. Despite so the fan still works.

Suspected that there was a problem with the valve and on the advice and recommendation of a friend, sent it to a mechanic somewhere in Kaki Bukit. 

Mechanic inspected the car and said that there was nothing wrong with the compressor. He then proceeded to take out the valve and said that it was clogged/dirty and suggested a replacement. The valve was then replaced followed by a series of releasing and pumping of freon gas. The whole process took about 4 hours. 

He mentioned that he has replaced the valve and pumped in the gas and suggested that it has something to do with cooling coil/condenser/fan of which he couldnt pin point on the spot exactly as he needed to dismantle the car. He also mentioned that it will be cold when the car is moving but not so when it is stationary and proceed to suggest that he will not bill me this time round.

Right after it was cold as the arctic but about 2 days later i began smelling the "dead rat" smell. After about a day after the weird smell, the coolness wore off. The air-con began to hiss and was not cold when in stationary mode. When driving it was slightly cooler (not much) and the hissing sound was gone.

Coincidentally, just when the coldness wore off I received a text from the mechanic asking me what's the status of the air-con. I told him it wasnt as cold and he suggested that i come down to the WS for a full inspection. 

Went down the 2nd time for inspection and was told that there were several issues like: condenser hoses and pipe jam and "many other items to change" if i want the ac problem fixed. Quoted me an estimate of 1k-2k to which I declined as I need more time to research and gather 2nd and 3rd opinion. 

Right after 2nd inspection, I was billed about $220 for flushing of aircon, the change in valve and labour cost associated with the 1st inspection. The car was cold for the first 1 -2 days but then totally fell apart. Now the hissing sound is back regardless of whether it is stationary or moving and totally fail to emit any cool air.

Thanks for making it thus far. Would appreciate some advice from the kakis as to whether or not what the WS said was legit and that the costs are justified. I will attach some pictures here as well, many thanks! 

photo6206253856577399388.jpg

photo6206253856577399389.jpg

photo6206253856577399390.jpg

photo6206253856577399391.jpg

Which dealer you buy from?

10 hours ago, katoshka said:

Hi all,

Go to Kim Aircon and let them troubleshoot. Look for the boss. 

11 hours ago, katoshka said:

Hi all,

It might be the condenser leaking, which is a common problem for ageing cars.

Hi all, 

Thanks for your prompt responses. 

@RogerNg_185295 

it was from a direct owner. I did a general inspection of the car myself but didn’t manage to go so in-depth. On hindsight should’ve sent for a thorough inspection.

@Fcw75

thanks for the recommendation, will definitely shortlist them

@awhtc

Thank you, indeed. Seems in line with the diagnosis so far. 

Any kind kakis able to provide advice on whether 1-2k to fix this is justified. As far as I’ve read or researched thus far the max people have forked out is only about $500 or so. 

Thanks! 🙂

↡ Advertisement