Guide - Getting a preowned / 2nd hand car

song77

Turbocharged
On 2/24/2024 at 8:24 PM, Jamesc said:

People say car dealers why never say doctors?

You sick have to pay for

Doctor consultation fee.

He say don't he don't know you still have to pay consultation fee

and a battery of tests!

He say need operation you have to pay for operation fee!

Then you have to pay for hospitalisation stay!

Then MIL need an aspirin for her headache and they charge me $3 for one pill!

Go shop and $3 can box the whole box!

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 2/25/2024 at 6:15 AM, ER-3682 said:

@Jamescyou forgotten to say Funeral Directors,also everything pay,can ask @RadXfor Details,the Lists are longer than yours.🤦‍♂️

That's why change new car 

more than some people change underwear!

:D

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Makes the spectacles shop look cheap.

Customer says how much are these glasses?

Shop owner says $120 

Customer says ok I'll take it.

Shop owner says that's just for the frame, lens is extra.

Customer: so how much for the lens?

SO says $80 and looks at the customer and if no reaction from the customer

he says: each lens $80.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:10 AM, Ody_2004 said:

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 6:15 AM, ER-3682 said:

@Jamescyou forgotten to say Funeral Directors,also everything pay,can ask @RadXfor Details,the Lists are longer than yours.🤦‍♂️

People say I cannot wait for my MIL to pass away!

They know how expensive to BBQ her or not!

Extra fats on her I think @RadX will charge me extra one.

The worse is he weights her like airlines and charge me for every extra pound.

Next time new thread in MCF

Funeral directors to Weigh victims before BBQing them!

They will say fair what!

So fat ovens need more gas to roast her like sio bak!

image.png.ae7e9550a3187643b0a0e65d3c86d227.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

If free servicing credits at AD is an important selling point for you, better check and double check. My experience: dealer said got 2x AD free servicing, when I called AD to check I was told only got 1 left. Nevermind. Worse is that the servicing credit doesn't follow the car! I was told by the AD service centre that I have to get consent from the previous owner to transfer the servicing credit to me. For whatever reason the used car dealer isn't able to contact the previous owner anymore. Even if I managed to get the consent, I'd still have to pay $50 to complete the transfer of the credit. So effectively the 2x free servicing that was advertised is now zero. Anyway if this is standard practice, then it's just me the mountain tortoise.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:32 AM, Jamesc said:

Makes the spectacles shop look cheap.

Customer says how much are these glasses?

Shop owner says $120 

Customer says ok I'll take it.

Shop owner says that's just for the frame, lens is extra.

Customer: so how much for the lens?

SO says $80 and looks at the customer and if no reaction from the customer

he says: each lens $80.

Want high index lens? 

How muchie? 

$99

Ok

Want multi coated lens? 

How muchie? 

$88

Ok

Want anti fog coating on the lens? 

No monie oredi, anyway how muchie? 

Foc if you get the above 2 added items 

Ok ok lah...on lah

Oh, by the way the additional prices are for one lens...foc item only applies when you buy 2 added items for both lenses...and the foc anti fog coating is only for one lens...another $28 for the other side...😂

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Doctors can make your money.

Lawyers can make your money.

Property agents can make your money.

Even hawkers and coffee shop owners can make your money.

I was at a shopping centre food court and MIL wanted ice lemon tea now weather very hot.

I kenna carrott $3.20 for ice lemon tea!

So why car dealers cannot make your money?

Why only single us out?

Next time go doctor tell him lah - you doctors supposed to help sick people

not milk us until chao tar!

Can or not?

Twincharged
On 2/25/2024 at 9:38 AM, Jamesc said:

People say I cannot wait for my MIL to pass away!

They know how expensive to BBQ her or not!

Extra fats on her I think @RadX will charge me extra one.

The worse is he weights her like airlines and charge me for every extra pound.

Next time new thread in MCF

Funeral directors to Weigh victims before BBQing them!

They will say fair what!

So fat ovens need more gas to roast her like sio bak!

image.png.ae7e9550a3187643b0a0e65d3c86d227.png

NEA's Cremation Fees are Fixed for Adult,Thin or Fat,same Rates,only Person below Age 12 is cheaper.

• Haha! 2

Neutral Newbie

@Jamesci think my issue here is transparency of charges. I like to know all these charges prior to placing a deposit. If i know everything up front and i make my own decision based on that information then that's fine. in my case, i only learned about the extra charges after placing the deposit. naturally, it appears i can't get back the deposit despite me making that decision with limited information. so if i do walk away, i actually do incur a loss. and the time between placing the deposit and trying to walk away is less than an hour. of course, you can argue, the deposit is there for a reason and i would agree placing a deposit is important but that's another topic altogether so we can skip that for this discussion.

i think you can definitely bring up examples of other professions doing that too and i wouldn't disagree, but at the same time, many industries now require clear labeling of charges. in many of the examples you listed above, consumers actually know all the costs in advance and if they don't want to, they can, like you said, walk away with no loss. 

i guess the more important question is: why don't dealers just provide all these information up front? it makes things easier for both buyers and sellers. i'm not trying to attack this industry but i think a simple step like providing transparency can improve this industry, no? and i am certain there are reputable car dealers which do that. thus, if you know of them, please recommend and i will be happy to support in whatever ways i can. 

Hypersonic
(edited)

Terrible people.

Tell us who so we can avoid them too!

On 2/25/2024 at 3:23 PM, caranon said:

@Jamesci think my issue here is transparency of charges. I like to know all these charges prior to placing a deposit. If i know everything up front and i make my own decision based on that information then that's fine. in my case, i only learned about the extra charges after placing the deposit. naturally, it appears i can't get back the deposit despite me making that decision with limited information. so if i do walk away, i actually do incur a loss. and the time between placing the deposit and trying to walk away is less than an hour. of course, you can argue, the deposit is there for a reason and i would agree placing a deposit is important but that's another topic altogether so we can skip that for this discussion.

i think you can definitely bring up examples of other professions doing that too and i wouldn't disagree, but at the same time, many industries now require clear labeling of charges. in many of the examples you listed above, consumers actually know all the costs in advance and if they don't want to, they can, like you said, walk away with no loss. 

i guess the more important question is: why don't dealers just provide all these information up front? it makes things easier for both buyers and sellers. i'm not trying to attack this industry but i think a simple step like providing transparency can improve this industry, no? and i am certain there are reputable car dealers which do that. thus, if you know of them, please recommend and i will be happy to support in whatever ways i can. 

Edited by Jamesc

Twincharged
On 2/25/2024 at 6:02 PM, Jamesc said:

Tell us which dealer so we can avoid them too!

Terrible people.

Comfirmed NOT @JamescUsed Car Pte Ltd.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1