Guide - Getting a preowned / 2nd hand car

song77

1. brand new Altis

2. brand new Civic

3. 2yo A3.

I will take brand new Civic.

I would do the same,but TS wanted something with a better Image & Status...that is why He/She wanted an Audi.

↡ Advertisement

I would do the same,but TS wanted something with a better Image & Status...that is why He/She wanted an Audi.

Honestly no point asking when he/she made up his/her mind even before asking..

Just like many of my girlfriends/ex.. asked just to make sure i agree with them.. they are not accepting any other view.. they just want you to support their decision.. be it good or bad!  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am a newbie in getting a second hand car.

Visited a some dealers from Ubi, and some of them told me that must pay deposit then can test drive, is it really the norm for dealers?

Also after we have chosen the car we liked and done some checks on the exterior and interior of the car, all ok. so what happens? how to proceed on? 

1. Get insurance first?

2. Who will settle the transfer?

3. Loan matters?

4. Normally how long to have the car ready to drive?

Thank you.

Twincharged
(edited)

Hi,

Visited a some dealers from Ubi, and some of them told me that must pay deposit then can test drive, is it really the norm for dealers?

Also after we have chosen the car we liked and done some checks on the exterior and interior of the car, all ok. so what happens? how to proceed on? 

1. Get insurance first?

3. Loan matters?

Thank you.

If you really like the Car,pay a Deposit to Test Drive,2nd Hand Dealers don't want to clock extra Mileage....because alot of People "Test for Fun"...like going to Agent.....Deposit could be refund back,if you can find fault with the Car...Happy with the Car,the rest of the Paper work leave it to the Dealer,they will Settle for You,just pay $$$ will do.

Edited by ER-3682

to pay deposit to test drive?

walk away please. In my decades of driving and buying cars, no such practice.

Maybe i gangster face, they dont dare to take from me. :excl:

• Praise 3

(edited)

If you really like the Car,pay a Deposit to Test Drive,2nd Hand Dealers don't want to clock extra Mileage....because alot of People "Test for Fun"...like going to Agent.....Deposit could be refund back,if you can find fault with the Car...Happy with the Car,the rest of the Paper work leave it to the Dealer,they will Settle for You,just pay $$$ will do.

honestly that 10 to 15 minutes of test drive at moderate slow speed won't affect a person buying decision.

I won't pay deposit merely for test drive.

the most important is to get the car inspect either won workshop or those authorised test centre.

if really do want to try out the suspension, wheel base and handling can either rent that model for a day or two to test it out. Or go to AD if model still exist.

Edited by Kopites

(edited)

Hi,

1. Get insurance first?

3. Loan matters?

Thank you.

seem like you are pretty new.

the dealer can do all the paperwork for you.

important on your part is not to part with the full sum before all the paperworks are done and sighted. you do need to make an advance deposit so the dealer can go ahead to do up the paperwork for you.

if everythings go according to plan it can be done within a day to a year! or maybe years! hope you get my point.

Edited by Kopites

I don’t agree we as consumers need to pay a deposit first before we can test drive a pre owned car, these farkers are in this business for so long and I am sure they can tell if a person is sincere in buying.

When you sell your car to quotz, they will plug in the scanner and check for fault codes, dents, signs of gearbox leaking, they will even test drive your car to make sure the alignment is straight. Any faults picked up will be duly recorded and these will be used to press down the bidding price.

On a side note, the state lease of the AML building ( where Quotz and most used car dealers is located) is 30 years from 1995, let’s see if URA will extend their lease.

Neutral Newbie

So there is really no need to pay for the deposit for test drive?

The issue here is not paying for test drive  although its down right dodgy to do so.

It is getting back the deposit if you do not find the test drive satisfactory.

would a cat give you back the fish after you enticed him with one. Its the same analogy.

Neutral Newbie

The issue here is not paying for test drive  although its down right dodgy to do so.

It is getting back the deposit if you do not find the test drive satisfactory.

would a cat give you back the fish after you enticed him with one. Its the same analogy.

Yes, you are correct.

I was really afraid that once i really did put down a deposit and after the test drive the car performance was not satisfactory, the dealer would not do a refund.

Supersonic

You buy used car meh ?

Never heard of.

You buy used car meh ?

Only had one new one in 2003 where I sold it at half the price I  bought after 3 yrs of use.

Thereafter I only buy used  one's.

• Praise 1

For me, I have a regular and reliable workshop that I have been going to for the past 20 years, and all my cars servicing and repairs (less tyre change) are done with them. They are very experienced.

The last 2nd hand car I had, I got an agreement with the dealer, apart from test drive, to have the car inspected by my car workshop, will purchase only if the workshop cleared it....worked out well !

The joke I had with the mechanic during the inspection when he asked if I am interested to check with him....my answer was no “I use and drive the car, you service and repair it.....if the car is a lemon, it is your problem to repair and sweeten it ! :-)

For me, I have a regular and reliable workshop that I have been going to for the past 20 years, and all my cars servicing and repairs (less tyre change) are done with them. They are very experienced.

The last 2nd hand car I had, I got an agreement with the dealer, apart from test drive, to have the car inspected by my car workshop, will purchase only if the workshop cleared it....worked out well !

The joke I had with the mechanic during the inspection when he asked if I am interested to check with him....my answer was no âI use and drive the car, you service and repair it.....if the car is a lemon, it is your problem to repair and sweeten it ! :-)

Workshops like people of your type . You offer yourself for them to chop you. There are no honest workshops in Singapore anymore.
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Neutral Newbie

Workshops like people of your type . You offer yourself for them to chop you. There are no honest workshops in Singapore anymore.

So normally where you go do your car servicing?

If you have nothing constructive to say...SHUT UP ! Nobody will say you are dumb if you keep quiet !
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

If you have nothing constructive to say...SHUT UP ! Nobody will say you are dumb if you keep quiet !

I am merely stating the facts. If you trust 100 per cent what people say, you will be at the losing end.
↡ Advertisement