Tyre and rim change in Sg Or MY

idtunknown

Hi all, I am currently driving an Elantra on 15” stock tires. I have been reading both HWZ and MCF on this topic and would like to get everyone’s opinion:

1. The reason why I am considering upsizing my tire from 15” to 16” is to allow me to choose more tires. Currently based on the stock tires (195/65/15), I don’t have much choices. Based on some recommendation and my current tire, I am considering CPC5. But if I upsize, I can consider Primacy or PSS (I know the 2 types are totally different type). Should I upsize my tire? If I shouldn’t upsize, the next question wouldn’t be valid.

2. Based on what I have read, tires below 16” will be cheaper to get in MY. However, I am worried if I upsize, I will need to change my rim as well and I believe the rim will be the main cost of upsizing.

Apologies for this troublesome question. If anyone can help me on this, it will be very very helpful.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, I am currently driving an Elantra on 15” stock tires. I have been reading both HWZ and MCF on this topic and would like to get everyone’s opinion:

1. The reason why I am considering upsizing my tire from 15” to 16” is to allow me to choose more tires. Currently based on the stock tires (195/65/15), I don’t have much choices. Based on some recommendation and my current tire, I am considering CPC5. But if I upsize, I can consider Primacy or PSS (I know the 2 types are totally different type). Should I upsize my tire? If I shouldn’t upsize, the next question wouldn’t be valid.

that is plenty of choice of 15" tires in your market, CPC5 is 1 of the good choice made by continental tire German.

is it truth that by upsizing to 16" will be able to performance tire 205/55/16.(also tons of choice in the market)  

2. Based on what I have read, tires below 16” will be cheaper to get in MY. However, I am worried if I upsize, I will need to change my rim as well and I believe the rim will be the main cost of upsizing.

not all tire are cheaper over the neighbor, 1 thing for sure is the business cost there is lower over there, 

Apologies for this troublesome question. If anyone can help me on this, it will be very very helpful.

if compare price alone , dun need  compare, i think MY win hands down with the exchange rate.

esp for this type of common tyres.

changing from 15-16 michelin i dun think  u can get PSS, ( i believe they dun make )

should be primacy 3 st. (205.55.16)

but i would recommend u to upsize to 17' (215/225.45.17)

wat for spend 1k over and just upsize 1'??

if any downside about changing rims/ tyres in MY compare to sg , its the troublesome aftersales.

esp when u have 0 knowledge on these stuff.

after u come back , then u found out why dun have this and this, why here in, here out, why vibrate,

if this and that normal?? alot of question u wanna ask, u need to go back.

instead,, ask price around in sg also, and compare the different. then u decide worth the trouble or not..

and back to your first reason for changing rims, cannot find options for 195.65.15?? cannot be,this is 1 of the most common size in sg, some shop easily carry 4 different brand for this size alone.

• Praise 1

Thank you both gentlemen. I Guess my research hasn’t been as complete as I thought I had done.

Will double check

• Praise 2

Thank you both gentlemen. I Guess my research hasnât been as complete as I thought I had done.

Will double check

For the same tyres, sg should be cheaper if u search around. Readon is msia import tax. So just do it in sg. Some tyre shops will also have good used 16". Good light weight 16" not only saves fuel but improves handling.

You can try Bridgestone MY-02 series of tires.

Manfactured there.

For the same tyres, sg should be cheaper if u search around. Readon is msia import tax. So just do it in sg. Some tyre shops will also have good used 16". Good light weight 16" not only saves fuel but improves handling.

Neutral Newbie

the conti tyres are decent. plus why spend so much just to upsize 1 size and if you change tyres often like me, that 1 size bigger will mean a 20% increase in price of tire next change or more.

Hi all, I am currently driving an Elantra on 15â stock tires. I have been reading both HWZ and MCF on this topic and would like to get everyoneâs opinion:

1. The reason why I am considering upsizing my tire from 15â to 16â is to allow me to choose more tires. Currently based on the stock tires (195/65/15), I donât have much choices. Based on some recommendation and my current tire, I am considering CPC5. But if I upsize, I can consider Primacy or PSS (I know the 2 types are totally different type). Should I upsize my tire? If I shouldnât upsize, the next question wouldnât be valid.

2. Based on what I have read, tires below 16â will be cheaper to get in MY. However, I am worried if I upsize, I will need to change my rim as well and I believe the rim will be the main cost of upsizing.

15" tyres in MY should be cheaper.

(edited)

the conti tyres are decent. plus why spend so much just to upsize 1 size and if you change tyres often like me, that 1 size bigger will mean a 20% increase in price of tire next change or more.

Actually, that was also one of my consideration. E.g 15” CPC is 95-98 but 16” is 110-120.

However, like Qaz20 was saying, upsizing by 1 May also help to improve FC. so I am hoping that the cost will cancel out by the FC improvement. But the keyword here is light, which means more expensive rim.

Personally, i was contemplating of upsizing is also that 16” give more tyre choices with newer range. I may be wrong but it still just some thought.

Anyway, I think I will stick to the same size and look around since it’s much cheaper.

Edited by idtunknown

A wise choice to stick with the original size, there are other ways to cut fuel cost (eg, pump RON 95 fuel instead of 98). 

Actually, that was also one of my consideration. E.g 15” CPC is 95-98 but 16” is 110-120.

However, like Qaz20 was saying, upsizing by 1 May also help to improve FC. so I am hoping that the cost will cancel out by the FC improvement. But the keyword here is light, which means more expensive rim.

Personally, i was contemplating of upsizing is also that 16” give more tyre choices with newer range. I may be wrong but it still just some thought.

Anyway, I think I will stick to the same size and look around since it’s much cheaper.

Internal Moderator

Hi bro. It really depends on your preference. I know ppl who actually downsize also.  It will give a more planted ride. 

And yah. It need to be light to have the fuel saving part. But don't really worry about the fuel saving part. It won't be a drastic differences.

For me, I think wheels are like shoes. So I prefer to go for aftermarket rims to change the looks for my car. For tyres wise, I only see tyre thread pattern. Sporty can already. Pattern like Bridgestone RE003, Kumho KU31 and Dunlop Sport Maxx 050+ are sporty and affordable. I don't really drive fast also. So all the UHP tyres that I buy, I won't maximise the potential also. So i won't really consider. And if daily normal driving, You don't get to change tyres so often. Maybe 1 & 1/2 to 2 years then you get to change a set of tyres.

But I will still recommend you to go for 16" lah. Bigger wheels will look for sporty. Hahha.

↡ Advertisement