Bad Car Design Trends

Eyke

15 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

The cynic in me says that its cheaper for the car manufacturer to plant all minor controls into a touchscreen or a big display panel than to design, engineer and manufacture nice, quality switchgear (stalks, knobs and buttons).

As I have said somewhere else before in this forum, I am ok with the screen being a source of information and perhaps access some not commonly used settings , but to delve into the menus to change fan speed or temperature or radio channel, or in this case, wiper speed, is plain silly and dangerous.

I hope this trend stops.

Touch screen is ok but there also needs to be backup physical switches, ala idrive. 

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

Touch screen is ok but there also needs to be backup physical switches, ala idrive. 

i wonder did the car makers conduct any market survey for such trending? Maybe i am old school and still prefer the turning of an aircon knob to adjust temperature than to navigate through the pages to reach the temperature setting..😉  

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, VDub_Golf said:

i wonder did the car makers conduct any market survey for such trending? Maybe i am old school and still prefer the turning of an aircon knob to adjust temperature than to navigate through the pages to reach the temperature setting..😉  

Confirm yes and means majority of customers do not have issues vs $$$ involved to design physical buttons to work in tandem with the screen. Also to take into consideration customer perception of hightech screen = premium 

Edited by Mockngbrd

46 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Confirm yes and means majority of customers do not have issues vs $$$ involved to design physical buttons to work in tandem with the screen. Also to take into consideration customer perception of hightech screen = premium 

I like physical buttons and knobs.  They costs more to made and wired up. The more the merrier, and more premium.

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I like physical buttons and knobs.  They costs more to made and wired up. The more the merrier, and more premium.

Physical buttons and knobs can be linked via PCB.

A dial that you can quickly rotate to your desired fan speed or temperature, or audio volume.

Now it is replaced by two stupid buttons, one for incremental, another for decremental.

Then you have to click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click  to get to your desired.

If the numerous "click" irritates you just by reading, it already did so on cars that had these buttons.

Just turn it on the knob saves the trouble. They re-invented the wheels. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

A dial that you can quickly rotate to your desired fan speed or temperature, or audio volume.

Now it is replaced by two stupid buttons, one for incremental, another for decremental.

Then you have to click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click  to get to your desired.

If the numerous "click" irritates you just by reading, it already did so on cars that had these buttons.

Renew your COE to avoid this

2 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

must be the touchscreen interface u see is lousy. those I use can just swipe/slide on the screen like ipad, no have clik clik clik clik. 

• Haha! 1

On 8/11/2020 at 2:01 PM, VDub_Golf said:

For a minimalist like me, I do like as few buttons as possible. Nothing like a clean center console.

I guess we have our preferences over form and functions of the car console design. 
It does look good with a clean flat screen.😊

Perhaps, I was thinking along the line where it should be ease of control while I am driving and not take my eyes off the line of sight while using my left hand to turn the aircon knob slightly to change the aircon temperature if the weather is getting hotter. 
If the sleek clean console can incorporate AI such as voice activation and recognition to adjust aircon temperature, it might bring a balance towards form and function and yet not compromise on safety. 
I guess I am more comfortable with turn knobs.😊

On 5/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, Nicholas said:

Can skip to 0:50:

The reviewer says the rear of the CH-R is spacious. 😁 😂 🤣

Yes, it's more spacious than the rear leg room of the Suzuki Swift.

• Haha! 1

yea, think the quest for de-cluttering n that high-tech feel is going a bit overboard with most manufacturers.

idrive n the Kia's setup below don't look too messy n is more functional aren't they?

10-bmw-3-series-touring-2020-rt-dashboar

2020_kia_telluride_dashboard.jpg

here's one design element that i hoped had become a little more common. the TT's climate controls

TtsTs_INT_004_9%20copy3.jpg?itok=-h9v10G

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2