Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

(edited)

We all have relied / are relying on public transportation to get around our sunny little island. For most of us, before getting that driving license, the 2 door Mercedes (front door+back door [laugh] ) used to be our mode of transport growing up.

Was reading up on the different types of public buses in Sg and realised that we used to have a much less homogeneous range of public buses in the past, so I'm just posting a few to bring back memories and keep them alive! 

Do feel free to add on and share your fond memories of the buses in your life, and the memories associated with them :)

Mods please merge if there's a similar thread thanks, tried to find but can't 

1. Starting with my fav, which I have taken alot (being a 90s kid) : Mercedes-Benz O405 

This was used by both SBS(1989-2011) and SMRT(1994-2016) in various body types:

TIB832Z, Hispano Carrocera Bodywork (last SMRT O405, retired in sep 2016)

832_963-2-800x445.jpg

SBS O405, Duple Metsec bodywork

2. Volvo B57, introduced by SBS in 1979-1983 (New Zealand Motor Body)

abt_memory_volvob572.jpg

These ran till 1996, and was one of the common sights in the 80s and early 90s

3. Albion Viking EVK41L , in the 1970s when SBS was first formed

abt_memory_albion2.jpg

65206475SLKhal_ph.jpg

Some units were first registered as early as 1967 onwards under the Hock Lee bus company, ran till 1987/88 before it left sg roads

4. Mercedes-Benz OF1413 ,1967 onwards 

abt_memory_mercedes14132.jpg

post-156882-0-35580700-1528186206.jpg

source for above pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/6073688117

Ran till around 1993, early buses were first registered from 1967 under the Green Bus Company 

5. Leyland Atlantean AN68/2R , 1977 onwards

abt_memory_leylandatlantean2.jpg

Ran till 2001, one of the first few double decker buses introduced in Sg, one in the pic is with Alexander L bodywork, registered sometime in 1982-1984

Edited by SiLangKia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 27

Supersonic
(edited)

3. Albion Viking EVK41L , in the 1970s when SBS was first formed

abt_memory_albion2.jpg

65206475SLKhal_ph.jpg

Some units were first registered as early as 1967 onwards under the Hock Lee bus company, ran till 1987/88 before it left sg roads

The above two buses very old sia!

Still updating hahaha gimme awhilee  :XD:

Another bus otaku spotted.  [:p]  Now waiting for Bus otaku DACH to appear in this thread?!   :secret-laugh:

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Realised I accidentally deleted the pic from my initial post , here it is 

Mercedes-benz O405 SBS (Duple Metsec body)

abt_memory_mercedezO4052.jpg

6. Ashok-Leyland ALCOP3/1 1967-1986

abt_memory_ashok2.jpg

First registered in 1967 under the Easy Bus Company, this small-ish bus ran till 1986. The one in the above pic, SBS1184Y, was registered in 1972. 

7. Nissan Diesel U31F 1983-1995 (Bodywork by Fuji Coach) / U31SCN 1985-2001 / U31RCN 1993-2012

U31F.jpg

Finally! A Trans Island + Jap built bus appears! These early models (above pic) ran from 1983 to 1995 (U31F), while the newer

U31RCN / U31SCN ran till as late 2012

U31s.jpg

U31SCN 

U31r.jpg

U31RCN 

Source: https://busesingapore.blogspot.com/2012/01/smrt-buses-nissan-diesel-u31rcn-fuji.html

This were buses I can rmb taking, loved the uniqueness of the japanese buses and the sliding back door [laugh]

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 1

I think I’d taken the rests before except for the OF1413.

Those with slider windows often got jammed and often plenty of empty seats during downpour.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

I think I’d taken the rests before except for the OF1413.

Those with slider windows often got jammed and often plenty of empty seats during downpour.

You mean you also taken before EVK41L bus?

7. Nissan Diesel U31F 1983-1995 (Bodywork by Fuji Coach) / U31SCN 1985-2001 / U31RCN 1993-2012

Finally! A Trans Island + Jap built bus appears! These early models (above pic) ran from 1983 to 1995 (U31F), while the newer

U31RCN / U31SCN ran till as late 2012

U31s.jpg

U31SCN 

I remember bus ride is smooth and comfort on this bus.

I remember bus ride is smooth and comfort on this bus.

Yes , I was really sad when they left the road, missed the feeling of riding in the jap buses

We all have relied / are relying on public transportation to get around our sunny little island. For most of us, before getting that driving license, the 2 door Mercedes (front door+back door [laugh] ) used to be our mode of transport growing up.

Was reading up on the different types of public buses in Sg and realised that we used to have a much less homogeneous range of public buses in the past, so I'm just posting a few to bring back memories and keep them alive! 

Do feel free to add on and share your fond memories of the buses in your life, and the memories associated with them :)

Mods please merge if there's a similar thread thanks, tried to find but can't 

4. Mercedes-Benz OF1413 ,1967 onwards 

abt_memory_mercedes14132.jpg

attachicon.gifOF1413.jpg

source for above pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/6073688117

Ran till around 1993, early buses were first registered from 1967 under the Green Bus Company 

Wah really brings back memories...

[thumbsup]

Of the lot, I only don't remember taking this one leh... even the older-looking ones i remember.

• Praise 1

Wah really brings back memories...

[thumbsup]

Of the lot, I only don't remember taking this one leh... even the older-looking ones i remember.

hahahah maybe it wasn't on the service routes you usually take  [laugh]

Supersonic
(edited)

Yes , I was really sad when they left the road, missed the feeling of riding in the jap buses

Agreed, the gear pickup was smooth and it doesnt really feel much jerking. Back then only TIBS got such buses, maybe thats why i prefer to take TIBS buses than SBS buses. Feel that their bus feel less jerkiness than SBS. 

Edited by 13177

I took that before. No door - or rather, the door is opened and never closed - one, so if raining, and you sit just behind the door area, need to open umbrella to block... [sweatdrop]

hahahah maybe it wasn't on the service routes you usually take  [laugh]

arrh... possiible. if it's 181, it plied bukit merah area? i only ventured there much later in JC till univ days.

I took that before. No door - or rather, the door is opened and never closed - one, so if raining, and you sit just behind the door area, need to open umbrella to block... [sweatdrop]

arrh... possiible. if it's 181, it plied bukit merah area? i only ventured there much later in JC till univ days.

Yeah i think by then most of these were phased out, rerouted so you probablt didn't get a chance, for me I didn't get a chance to sit on most of these I posted so hahahah envy Y'all

Supersonic

I remember last time you can find some bus driver dont like to close the door when the bus was moving de. Not only on this bus that you took.  [sweatdrop]

Yeah i think by then most of these were phased out, rerouted so you probablt didn't get a chance, for me I didn't get a chance to sit on most of these I posted so hahahah envy Y'all

You dont get to sit on most of the buses you posted? Could be you were still very young back then? Lol.

• Praise 2

I remember last time you can find some bus driver dont like to close the door when the bus was moving de. Not only on this bus that you took.  [sweatdrop]

You dont get to sit on most of the buses you posted? Could be you were still very young back then? Lol.

hahaha yeah cos born in the 90s so can only rmb the late 80s onwards buses

3 and 4 I like :grin:

I find them kinda charming, always wondered what it felt like to sit in those, anw hahah when I have time will research and post more so stay tuned  [:p]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

hahaha yeah cos born in the 90s so can only rmb the late 80s onwards buses

I find them kinda charming, always wondered what it felt like to sit in those, anw hahah when I have time will research and post more so stay tuned  [:p]

Born in the 90s, then may not able to ride on those buses in the 70s and 80s.

↡ Advertisement