Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

Yes. I know the terminals are at Sin Ming, St Michael's, Prince Edward, Chulia Street and Kallang. Not sure where the depot where they kept the buses. Only 10cents for students then. So my brother and i would take the various CSS buses from end to end. Sometimes, the driver/conductor give us free return ride so save us 10cents to buy 3 hacks sweets.

OT a bit . . . talking about tickets, last time always try to collect those with 1111, 2222, 3333 . . . . .  [laugh]

Once I missed by one number and ask conductor whether can buy next ticket, he said cannot!  [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The 1st generation double-decker buses were terrible.

Bottom deck seats at the end were damn stuffy and hot!  [sweatdrop]

I remember my dad taking us for the first ride on bus 159(?)

All passengers on upper deck were so fearful when the bus made a turn . . . like going to topple  [laugh]  

Any picture on this double decker?  [confused]  I find last time buses more variety, thats why i like to take buses cause can sit in different type of bus model. Unlike now, majority of bus model is about the same.

Do you guys have taken any bus model from last time until today which find uncomfortable and not nice ride de?

OT a bit . . . talking about tickets, last time always try to collect those with 1111, 2222, 3333 . . . . .  [laugh]

Once I missed by one number and ask conductor whether can buy next ticket, he said cannot!  [bigcry]

Why cannot buy next ticket, you just pay for two tickets lo?! Lol.

Any picture on this double decker? [confused] I find last time buses more variety, thats why i like to take buses cause can sit in different type of bus model. Unlike now, majority of bus model is about the same.

Do you guys have taken any bus model from last time until today which find uncomfortable and not nice ride de?

Yes, there is one model, the engine is right in front with the driver. The engine casing is next to the front door so the front has very narrow walkway. Super noisy when the bus accelerated. I dont know the model. I only know it was SBS bus number 125 where i used to take from St Michael's to Telok Blangah.

Also very hot inside as the engine is right there. Never liked the bus.

(edited)

how come no one post the picture of those single desk yellow colour bus.

Their fare the cheaper amongst all buses.

Oh my mama........ this surely brings back serious memories of childhood. Damn, I remember taking these in 70s when I was living in Bukit Merah and started studying in Jurong West while waiting for our new HDB flat.

I can still remember the sound of coins dropping and the ticket machine...

bus 111 bus conductor I don't think coin machine yet.

I have kept stack of those colourful bus ticket. from 5 cents upward.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Yes, there is one model, the engine is right in front with the driver. The engine casing is next to the front door so the front has very narrow walkway. Super noisy when the bus accelerated. I dont know the model. I only know it was SBS bus number 125 where i used to take from St Michael's to Telok Blangah.

Last time many SBS buses engine sound super noisy and hot when sitted near the engine de. Unlike TIBS buses more comfortable. Even currently the Scania KUB is the worst bus to ride in. Seems like SBS not very good in purchasing buses.

Turbocharged
(edited)

65206475SLKhal_ph.jpg

Wow... makes me nostalgic.

That bus under #3... bus no. 111.

This type i remember well.

There is a strip of doorbell near the door which usually doesnt work, and primary school me was too short for the roof strip bell, so i had a wooden ruler sticking out of my bag which i use to press the bell :D

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 5

There is a strip of doorbell near the door which usually doesnt work, and primary school me was too short for the roof strip bell, so i had a wooden ruler sticking out of my bag which i use to press the bell :D

Oh yah, Totally forgot about the bell strip!!!!!

Supersonic

Last time these buses the doorbell always on the roof de, so feel very stressful when getting down the bus if no one is getting down as well, cause cannot reach the roof strip bell. Lol.

• Praise 1

Oh yah... that one. Ever kanna before bus got dunno what problem, then the driver stopped the bus, and opened up that big big metal casing covering the engine. Of course at that time i didn't know any better but was just curious what the driver uncle was doing...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Oh yah... that one. Ever kanna before bus got dunno what problem, then the driver stopped the bus, and opened up that big big metal casing covering the engine. Of course at that time i didn't know any better but was just curious what the driver uncle was doing...

Dont know can find any picture on this type of buses with big big metal casing covering the engine with a super long gear stick?

Last time these buses the doorbell always on the roof de, so feel very stressful when getting down the bus if no one is getting down as well, cause cannot reach the roof strip bell. Lol.

Bell stripes were also on the side panels...but still too high up for me so I always needed kind souls to press for me.

Turbocharged

There is a smallish company TS did not include maybe? Operated near macritchie reservoir route? The buses unique.

3/4 yup

Any picture on this double decker?  [confused]  I find last time buses more variety, thats why i like to take buses cause can sit in different type of bus model. Unlike now, majority of bus model is about the same.

I think he keeping for himself  <_<

If you all oldies can remember  [laugh] there was this special bus which has a seat and counter for pregnant bus conductress. She sits there and commuters Q up to buy tickets. Yes, inside the bus.  [grin]

The 1st generation double-decker buses were terrible.

Bottom deck seats at the end were damn stuffy and hot!  [sweatdrop]

I remember my dad taking us for the first ride on bus 159(?)

All passengers on upper deck were so fearful when the bus made a turn . . . like going to topple  [laugh]  

Oh sorry, it was service 138 from Shenton Way to Ang Mo Kio.

Scared like hell . . .  [laugh]

Memorable indeed!

(edited)

Got photo of CSS bus? The one where the door is at the rear of the bus. The last row is a bench seat next to the exit/entrance. I used to seat the last row, cos easier to alight the bus.

11. CSS British-Leyland 900FG, Bodywork by Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

1975-css3.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find pictures of the rear so I'm not sure if this is the one with a rear opening door, but this is one of the better pictures of old CSS buses available. The 900FG was a small sized bus used by CDD from 1975-1987, dunno if anyone remembers it  [laugh]

12. CSS Mercedes-Benz O309, Bodywork by Chua Heng & Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

holland-road-bus-terminal-1975.jpg

The bus in this pic, CSS102D, was the first O309 registered under CSS in 1975 and they ran on CSS service till 1987 [:)]

Edited by SiLangKia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3