The (trade) war has started

Civic2000

Supersonic

in the super long run, the only real enemy for the USA is China. that's a clash of civilisation, for hegemony. NK is a side show by contrast.

China is currently the only threat to USA's position as the only superpower in the world today.
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

US farmers stressed, angry at trade wars

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/us-farmers-stressed-angry-at-trade-wars

[NEW YORK] US farmers find themselves in the crosshairs of a trade war with China and others launched by President Donald Trump, who was elected with the support of many in rural America.

On Friday, Mr Trump announced long-threatened trade tariffs on tens of billions of dollars worth of Chinese goods, sparking an immediate retaliation from Beijing on an equivalent of US products including agricultural goods, notably soy.

"For American farmers, this isn't theoretical anymore, it's downright scary," the Farmers for Free Trade lobbying group said of the prospects for escalating tariffs.

"It's no longer a negotiating tactic, it's a tax on their livelihoods."

China is the largest buyer of soy beans, buying US$12 billion in 2017, about 30 per cent of the US harvest.

"We were already in a depressed market. These trade uncertainties add a lot of stress to this situation," said Jamie Beyer, a farmer in Wheaton, Minnesota who grows soybean, corn, sugar beets, wheat and alfalfa.

"We feel these tariffs are very damaging to our agricultural economy."

Farmers are the most at risk in this trade battle, as their incomes already were falling, declining by around 50 per cent since 2013, and this year expected to reach the lowest level since 2006.

EASY TARGET 

The sector already was shaken up by the difficult negotiations on the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta) with Canada and Mexico, two major importers of agricultural products.

On her family farm in Oklahoma, Hope Pjesky raises cattle and grows winter wheat, and says she is "very nervous" about recent developments.

"Unfortunately, agriculture seems to be the industry that they hit back on when there is retaliation. I just wish there were a better way to go about addressing that issue," she said.

That is according to plan, since US trading partners have singled out American products from states strongly supportive of Mr Trump, in hopes of increasing the pressure on him to reconsider.

But Ms Pjesky noted that "there are a lot of people who voted for him that still have faith that it is just going to end up well."

It is difficult to quantify the precise cost of Chinese sanctions, but Missouri corn and soybean farmer Blake Hurst said he already is seeing an impact on prices.

The weather remains the main factor influencing the price of corn, wheat, soybeans and cotton, but the threat of renewed tensions between Beijing and Washington hit the market hard this week and the soybean price fell by more than six per cent.

"It will affect our profitability" and cut the number of acres cultivated, he said.

TRUMP SUPPORT

Roger Johnson, who leads the country's second largest agricultural union, the National Farmers Union, said the group supports the White House goal of reducing the US trade deficit.

"But our organisation grows increasingly concerned that this administration does not have a plan to ensure family farmers and ranchers aren't thrown under the bus for the sake of these goals," he said.

Even so, few blame Mr Trump directly.

Mr Hurst said many in Missouri are still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, he cautioned, "if we don't see any success, then patience will wear thin."

• Praise 1

(edited)

amdk want to have the cake and eat it

for the longest time they complained about cheap import from prc and undervalue rmb that makes US product expensive and uneven playing field

now what?

Edited by Wt_know

let's see if the farmers, auto workers will finally recognise that Trump is bad for them 

But i doubt so  [:p]

Ironically i was reading that Democrats are generally in support of Trump's move whereas the Republicans were cautious/negative.

[laugh]

Can buy australia/new zealand stock. They make dairy and meat

Soybeans i think mostly come from USA. Other than that, is brazil?

Wheat i think Russia is a big producer as well.

You are right again.  [thumbsup]

Of all the stupid things written about about Trump

only you always get him right.

Trump takes the best ideas of the Dems and

combines with the best ideas of the Reps to

make American grate again.  [scholar]

:D

• Praise 1

amdk want to have the cake and eat it

for the longest time they complained about cheap import from prc and undervalue rmb that makes US product expensive and uneven playing field

now what?

Actually the Americans are sorta justified. Chinese companies do steal a lot of IP from them. And the American companies been sucking hind tit for years. But problem is that punishing the Chinese now hurts American company revenues

Actually the Americans are sorta justified. Chinese companies do steal a lot of IP from them. And the American companies been sucking hind tit for years. But problem is that punishing the Chinese now hurts American company revenues

You are right again.

They are very justified.

Chinese companies stole all the IP

and use it to make thing cheaper and

sell back to the US what they stole from

them.

The trouble with Trump is he doesn't know

how to explain things as simply as you do.

The way you put it we all understand and can

see its the right thing to do. So Trump doesn't

look like the stupid idiot he looks now with a

"silly" trade war.

You explain things better that this dumb lady.

I will be asking Trump to sack her and you can

take over if you like. You are doing a far better

job than her even now.  [thumbsup]

:D

Sarah%20Huckabee%20Sanders%20by%20Alex%2

Ya .. Majority of Chinese (younger ppl who work in IT, MNCs or travelled overseas aside) don't even know the existence of Amazon, Ebay, Google, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, .. They just wonder how foreigners can do anything online without Taobao, Alipay, WeChat, Weibo the great Chinese "inventions".

Amazon is in China mkt la.

Ppl who had studied overseas know Google, FB, IG, Twitter & etc.

Once they return, cannot use.

Turbocharged

It is wrong to steal somebody pattern but to prevent improvements and make huge profit from pattern is also wrong.

Free trade is the only way to go for the good of mankind.

• Praise 1

It is wrong to steal somebody pattern but to prevent improvements and make huge profit from pattern is also wrong.

Free trade is the only way to go for the good of mankind.

every 1 is stealing from every 1.

as if US dun hack or steal from others.

i think wat they are not happy is more about US company build factory in china have to bring the tech over.

something like that . 

but wat i feel is if u want to do business in other ppl land, u follow their law, or u go somewhere else.

like the ZTC case. china need to buy from US , so they follow US law, or any other company .

if not they kenna ban or fine. 

if china say u want build factory here, u follow A,B,C , then u follow , if not u go somewhere else loh

right bo??

• Praise 1

i think wat they are not happy is more about US company build factory in china have to bring the tech over.

something like that .

but wat i feel is if u want to do business in other ppl land, u follow their law, or u go somewhere else.

like the ZTC case. china need to buy from US , so they follow US law, or any other company .

if china say u want build factory here, u follow A,B,C , then u follow , if not u go somewhere else loh

right bo??

On IP, EU also complain hor

https://www.theepochtimes.com/european-union-files-wto-complaint-against-china-on-unfair-intellectual-property-practices_2548925.html

For ZTE, it breaches UN sanction le.

Sg co also get penalty for export to NK.

Yeah there are many ways to block you.

USA and Europe have right to be aggrieved. But China's history with angmoh corporations started with east India company and opium. There's no way they are going to treat foreign firms on truly level playing field until they are well and ready.

something like that .

right bo??

You are not wrong. I think a few companies like alphabet/Google just gave up the business over there. Similarly Uber retreated

Similarly Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese firms can jiak sai anytime depending on the geopolitical situation

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Overhead one rider in my car grumbling (he was talking quite loudly over the phone) about chinese dirty tricks.

Something about negotiation, payment, contracts.

If you deal with mainland chinese, you just have to be careful, they will screw you without a 2nd thought if they can.

(edited)

Overhead one rider in my car grumbling (he was talking quite loudly over the phone) about chinese dirty tricks.

Something about negotiation, payment, contracts.

If you deal with mainland chinese, you just have to be careful, they will screw you without a 2nd thought if they can.

This is already a well-known fact for China not only today. That said, the cases I know are mostly entrepreneurs trying to hit on the China market thinking they can do it themselves. Reality is, you need a well-versed lawyer or secretarial to help you navigate China's operating environment. China is still one of the most corrupted countries in the world...

Edited by Ravinged

Yeah there are many ways to block you.

USA and Europe have right to be aggrieved. But China's history with angmoh corporations started with east India company and opium. There's no way they are going to treat foreign firms on truly level playing field until they are well and ready.

You are not wrong. I think a few companies like alphabet/Google just gave up the business over there. Similarly Uber retreated

Similarly Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese firms can jiak sai anytime depending on the geopolitical situation

Currently, all China internet user data must be housed in China. Even Apple has to built data center in Guizhou. Google/FB etc are blocked as it refused to be subject to PRC control.

Uber is losing $$$. Didi is losing $$$. I believe SoftBank tell Uber to pack up.

• Praise 1

That's the official Chinese perspective, that opium was forced upon the Chinese. Yes and no.

Of course, the opium war was so wrong in every way. The British themselves were a little surprised with the "success" of the opium trade so much so that they need to open a new bank (HSBC) to manage all the money.

On the other hand, the Chinese, including Manchu royalties and Chinese government officials and elites were themselves attracted and addicted to opium. Similar to how they are so addicted to European branded goods today, they have a misconception that it is a symbol of longetivity and prestige, so much so that they even offer opium to foreign dignitaries in their banquets. This was documented in many accounts by embassy officials, and own Chinese scholars. One of the embassy official wrote in his memoir that the Chinese asked "Why aren't you having some opium? It's from Europe, isn't it a big thing in Europe?"

Domestic abuse of power and corruption problems were a much bigger evil than East India Company. Corruption was such a inseparable part of Chinese bureaucracy that even the Empress Dowager reprimanded the emperor and his advisors for "cleaning up" which will likely break the entire bureaucracy system to a halt. I recall her exact words as quoted in one of the old memoirs written by a French-educated Manchu princess was "nobody in the right mind will work for no oil-water".

I believe what the European embassy official said in her memoir, because today I've already witnessed with my eyes when I saw Chinese official asking European host "Why aren't you buying some branded bags for yourself? It is good stuff." and the Europeans just smile only.

In the 1980's, the PRC gahmen for a few years tried to revisit "putting all blame on foreigners" and steer it towards "blame it on the bad Chinese habits, learn from the foreigners". During these years, "learning from foreigners" was at the center of all propaganda. Notice how Leonardo Bertolucci's 'Last Emperor' was not only allowed to re-create a realistic scene of the Cultural Revolution on site, but also with full support of the central gahmen, even the CCP culture minister acted an important role in it. But this short "liberal" exercise failed with what happened in 1989, and the policy turned the 180 degrees. The rest as we know is history.

OK lah. You can't blame the Europeans selling opium to the Chinese who developed an appetite for it. But definitely can blame them for the opium war right lol after that famous official tried to clean up the act.

Currently, all China internet user data must be housed in China. Even Apple has to built data center in Guizhou. Google/FB etc are blocked as it refused to be subject to PRC control.

Uber is losing $$$. Didi is losing $$$. I believe SoftBank tell Uber to pack up.

Lol Japanese control angmoh company.

(edited)

SoftBank also invested in Didi and Grab.

Toyota just invested in grab as well. Haha

Yeah softbank has its fingers in many pies.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement