Environmental friendly or over done?

Jman888

As the saying in Malay, "Sikit-sikit, lama-lama jadi bukit", while I would not say that KFC or the other organization are over-doing it in the name of being environmental friendly, everyone need to re-look at the definition of "Environmental Friendly".

I read with dismay that McDonald is going to implement paper straw and so are many other calling for replacement of plastic bags with paper. Not too long ago, we are seeing advertisement everywhere advocating the reduction of paper usage... and some of it is not workable in real life (e.g. go digital, and people still print the document on paper for "easy reading")

hp21-pic.jpg

Yes, paper can be recycled, and so are most of the thermoplastics... I do agree that we consumer play a very important role in waste reduction, and education should be the key. BUT please do not waste more material in the process of education, such as using new straw for creating "recycled art"...

01.jpg

014c4900e5476cdcf0dc59248dcd2dc4.jpg

e0321cad3b398a1b50eb07f77d632a36.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Hypersonic
(edited)

We must consume less energy

Energy usage is killing earth

Mother earth has been abused by humans repeatedly lor.

Sometimes natural disaster occurred, I also think we got what we deserved. 

As the saying in Malay, "Sikit-sikit, lama-lama jadi bukit", while I would not say that KFC or the other organization are over-doing it in the name of being environmental friendly, everyone need to re-look at the definition of "Environmental Friendly".

I read with dismay that McDonald is going to implement paper straw and so are many other calling for replacement of plastic bags with paper. Not too long ago, we are seeing advertisement everywhere advocating the reduction of paper usage... and some of it is not workable in real life (e.g. go digital, and people still print the document on paper for "easy reading")

Yes, paper can be recycled, and so are most of the thermoplastics... I do agree that we consumer play a very important role in waste reduction, and education should be the key. BUT please do not waste more material in the process of education, such as using new straw for creating "recycled art"...

01.jpg

014c4900e5476cdcf0dc59248dcd2dc4.jpg

e0321cad3b398a1b50eb07f77d632a36.jpg

I would prefer the ladies not to wear anything, why bother?

Go Natural!

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

(edited)

end of the day, it will just be a cycle. 

Those in their 40s may have some experience with the transition into the plastics era. Was it more of a political or environmental move when we move towards plastics? Or was it more of a cost issue?

I personally think back then it was more politically because of water. 

But when i was in FMCG manufacturing, we decide to switch containers base purely on cost. when oil price goes up we change to metal can, when plastic gets cheaper we switch back. its money talks. 

how much can KFC save by removing the straws and lids, they must have done a calculation already. It will stay if this improve their bottom line, and when others see this, it will be monkey see monkey do liao.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

Aside from more global concerns already cited, keep in mind Singapore has only one functioning landfill at this point in Pulau Semakau. It is slated to reach capacity in the coming decades and a new one will have to be found. Anything that can be done to reduce waste that has to be buried will extend its life longer.

Yes, even space to dump waste is a strategic resource of national concern.

• Praise 2

how much can KFC save by removing the straws and lids, they must have done a calculation already. It will stay if this improve their bottom line, and when others see this, it will be monkey see monkey do liao.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

customer will probably go over to McD or coffee shop to take the free straw   [laugh]  [laugh]

McDonald’s told The Straits Times that it will be testing “straw alternatives” in selected countries.

“We will learn from these tests around the world to develop solutions that are feasible and scalable for us in Singapore,” it said.

at least McD is finding alternative and not just take those away and left customer with no alternative. I can foresee more people flipping the uncover drink in the outlet. Happen to me once in Subway, now i help myself with the lids to cover the drink.

• Praise 1

Was it a group of them in near the SAFRA club there ??

I was walking with my friends at about 930am

I just went to the beach at ecp on Sunday. Really lot of Styrofoam and plastic things floating in the sea and beach. That was after a cleanup event done at the same part of ecp.
I told my kids "that's rubbish". Unfortunately there's more rubbish than real organic things to show them.

I think plastics are great but we really overconsume them. But I think tetrapaks also take a lot of energy to break down.

I bring my own chopsticks and reusable containers to eat my salads. Only sometimes eat oily food or soups then throw away the containers.
Plastic bags I have too many (I always forget to bring my own bag cos I go ntuc after I finished work) but sometimes ask the cashier use less plastic bags also doesn't work lol. Think I will get a big IKEA bag to bring next time.
Look like Chinaman but longer lasting than those fibre like reusable bags who tend to tear.

Sharing my little contribution.

When my meal comes with cutleries, I use the spoon or knife to stir my coffee. Don't neeed to take the plastic stirrer.

Little steps.

• Praise 6

So far have used them in the good 'ol days..... so far I never kenna one 

Maybe the new fellows...... dont know strawberry type never  tilt slowly and must sip little little or like  "kiss kiss"  not buaya the tongue out  [:p]

Just to be contrarian here for sake of discussion. 

Rafia strings also not biodegradable. The amt of plastic used for the strings might be very close to that of straws. 

The washing of the cans after each use, the amount of water and detergent used cannot be good for water conservation and environmental efforts too. 

The number of injuries from the jagged sharp metal lids will improve the economy for sure when the users have see the doctors for stitches. 

• Praise 1

Go back to the good 'ol days at least the tin can can be recycled and not harmful to the enviro too 

Singapore really scores top in plastics use , really when compared to US or for that fact even India (even though they still have to go a long way of not littering) ; Even in restaurants  here they give water in  disposable cups, plates and even when they serve chilli paste they give it in so small like 1inch diameter plates..... aiyoh so flimsy 

Restaurants / Hawker Centres cant get workers no more...... 

Where to draw the line.........          ???? 

Our lives are becoming like plastic disposables too

....... and China does not want to import waste products like paper/plastics and E-waste no more too;  I guess others will follow suit too  

All the major super markets like ShengShiong, NTUC, Giant........ not even forgetting Mustafa too....... [laugh] 

i found that Mustafa's bags are the huge- est 

Tin can recycle and make cars  [thumbsup]

Underneath is milo can?

:D

Proton_Persona_Cutout-15-2-630x420.jpg

• Praise 3

customer will probably go over to McD or coffee shop to take the free straw   [laugh]  [laugh]

at least McD is finding alternative and not just take those away and left customer with no alternative. I can foresee more people flipping the uncover drink in the outlet. Happen to me once in Subway, now i help myself with the lids to cover the drink.

exactly!!!!. [laugh]  [laugh] 

I think for KFC is cost, let the big M go find the other alternative, old colonel can always copy later. Meanwhile, no problem with customers go coop straws from else where. I am sure KFC not going to put up a sign " no straws allowed".   [:p]

• Praise 1

Sharing my little contribution.

When my meal comes with cutleries, I use the spoon or knife to stir my coffee. Don't neeed to take the plastic stirrer.

Little steps.

same same.

i wont say i environmentalist,

but when tabao makan, i dun take plastic fork n spoon.

normally will bring own bag for shopping.

• Praise 4

(edited)

Instead of banning straws we need to think bigger.

We need more efficient cars and ways to make car

more efficiently.

Edited by Jamesc

i  really salute a NUS professor friend of mine, doesn't own and drive any car, because he and Mrs care for the environment. family of 3 kids btw.

"salute"

• Praise 1

Supersonic

i really salute a NUS professor friend of mine, doesn't own and drive any car, because he and Mrs care for the environment. family of 3 kids btw.

"salute"

Well, can start getting a electric car, since more and more charging ports are installing around Singapore in the coming years.

Supersonic

What you mean Giant give out the most plastic bags? I find NTUC also give out many plastic bags lo.

Yes, GIANT gave the most plastic bags.

Sometimes when I buy those packeted or bottled drinks, they like to put an extra one as a support, or put many of those small items into many different bags.

I just tell them just pack all in one bag if possible and no need the extra bag, since I'm just carry it from the cashier to the car park nearby and put the groceries in the boot, and not all the way home. Can don't use so much plastic bags, then don't use.

• Praise 2

Is that your friend Jibby's car or Rosie's?? ... like kenna cavity search [laugh]

Tin can recycle and make cars  [thumbsup]

Underneath is milo can?

Proton_Persona_Cutout-15-2-630x420.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2