2018 Volvo S60 (3rd Gen) & V60 (2nd Gen)

Carbon82

7 hours ago, douglassim said:

Well, i agree with you. Overseas S60 are very well specs.

Not too sure, Volvo in Spore do not have confidence for the sales? so the specs are not too fantastic/attractive. not like other brands, will get a better specs just to push the sales.

I think the T4 is marketed for people like me. Without it, I would happily get the RAV4 instead. Lol

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, jammer_sg said:

No lah. All I knew it was a pretty recent launch. I was happy getting the Avente, Cerato or Altis to fulfil our point A to B commute so long as it is safe and efficient. My co-driver did not fancy Korean (no disrespect or offence) so I told her we would go test drive Altis. She asked how about Volvo. Ok lor Toyota, Volvo, Merc then BMW, all around Leng Kee just nice.

The T4’s offer was appealing. It was less painful on our wallets verse the 3 Series, C Class or for that matter a S60 T5 (the 3 models I shortlisted). So the 2nd stop was our last stop. The sucker punch was when she said to me, “old man, how many more years have you got to drive something that still goes vroom vroom”. Ha ha

Your spouse was so nice. Mine told me to get any car I fancy … as long as I'm not touching her money. 😭

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, jammer_sg said:

Actually from my experience using Eco Drive, my FC also crept up (the smaller the number for L/100Km the more efficient). According to the manual, it changes the gearshift points, engine management and response from the accelerator pedal.

I noticed I had to apply more accelerator to move off from stop (my usual leisure pace) and even to maintain speed for up slopes on expressways. It went up as high as 9L/100Km and since then I stopped using it. I am nursing it about 7.9 (8.0 when my wife drives). But I must say my commute (maybe 50Km per working day) is 80% expressway 20% normal road so that makes a lot of difference too.

You are driving the T4 R model rite? I don't think the M model has Eco mode or does it?

4 hours ago, douglassim said:

I believe, in Spore context. people always go for cheap and good. LMAO

Which was the case for yours truly here ha ha ha.

2 hours ago, firefly20 said:

You are driving the T4 R model rite? I don't think the M model has Eco mode or does it?

Yeap the T4 just like you. It only has Eco Drive which is selectable from the control panel, the same page to toggle Stop/Start.

Just went to the pump today. My last tank of 98, 54.3L got me  672.9Km. Now trying how the 95 will perform. Only my 4th tank. 

17 minutes ago, jammer_sg said:

Which was the case for yours truly here ha ha ha.

Cheaper, better, faster mah

Good, better, betterest

10 hours ago, jammer_sg said:

Yeap the T4 just like you. It only has Eco Drive which is selectable from the control panel, the same page to toggle Stop/Start.

Just went to the pump today. My last tank of 98, 54.3L got me  672.9Km. Now trying how the 95 will perform. Only my 4th tank. 

For my current T4, it was stated that min fuel is 98 RON. Are you sure 95 RON can do the job?

With a FC of over 12km/l, you give me hope (not typo rite). But I'm realistic enough to know that with the daily commute to Shenton Way thru the packed AYE, I won't be getting anywhere near your numbers.

14 hours ago, douglassim said:

I believe, in Spore context. people always go for cheap and good. LMAO

To me, the cheapest and goodest car rite now is the Mazda 6 Executive retailing at $104K. For that amt, you get 2l engine with AT, autonomous front braking, multi-link rear suspension, blind spot monitoring and RCTA (both which are absent in my T4 variant), lane departure warning, Bose sound system and a host of friendly features.

In the end, the main reason I didn't go for this car is bcoz my spouse owned a Mazda 3 before with very similar interfaces, and so I just wanted to try something different.

• Praise 3

With the boredom created by this CB, I'm toying with the idea of stretching a bit to get the XC40 M. Having a taller vehicle would be more convenient in many ways.

Should I do it? Despite the additional paper re-work, I think SE should find it palatable rite, since it's a higher price model from the same brand? I just have to get over the fact that the XC40 is selling at a higher price despite having a lower OMV compared to the S60. 

I'll need to find where I put that biscuit tin under my bed first, to pay for the extra $10K. 😁

Dilemma, dilemma ...

1 hour ago, firefly20 said:

To me, the cheapest and goodest car rite now is the Mazda 6 Executive retailing at $104K. For that amt, you get 2l engine with AT, autonomous front braking, multi-link rear suspension, blind spot monitoring and RCTA (both which are absent in my T4 variant), lane departure warning, Bose sound system and a host of friendly features.

In the end, the main reason I didn't go for this car is bcoz my spouse owned a Mazda 3 before with very similar interfaces, and so I just wanted to try something different.

It's the same for me too, was considering Mazda 6 during Expo show late last year.

However, after family sat inside and closing the doors. They felt a difference between Conti Cars door, so was a no go for Mazda.

They were not interested in the B8 passat too. Was driving B7 previously.

Took a look at Volvo, immediately they fell in love with S90. But I felt the car is too big. 

Went to look at S60 T5 i think, they also like it. But pricing was a bit steep that time.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, firefly20 said:

With the boredom created by this CB, I'm toying with the idea of stretching a bit to get the XC40 M. Having a taller vehicle would be more convenient in many ways.

Should I do it? Despite the additional paper re-work, I think SE should find it palatable rite, since it's a higher price model from the same brand? I just have to get over the fact that the XC40 is selling at a higher price despite having a lower OMV compared to the S60. 

I'll need to find where I put that biscuit tin under my bed first, to pay for the extra $10K. 😁

Dilemma, dilemma ...

i am not into SUV, but having friends converted from Sedan to SUV. They want to continue getting SUV again. Comparing XC40 to S60 in terms of interior space S60 is superb. Never Test drive SUV before, so i can't help much.

if your family is fine with a maybe smaller interior then go get it if budget is not an issue. What about XC60?

• Praise 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, firefly20 said:

Dilemma, dilemma ...

actually go with your heart. if you prefer the xc40, 10k more you can take it, why not?

better than bought s60 liao but keep looking at other's xc40.

xc40 is nicer in size compared to xc60(too bulky), i feel.

Edited by Dannnn
  • Praise 1

I jumped on the SUV wagon 11 years ago and traded it in after less than 2 years. 

I feel most SUVs are just jacked up hatchbacks that offers not much significant extra space as compared to a sedan in the same class. 

the benefits are higher driving position, boot space for loading stuff.. that’s about it.

i didn’t like it when I had to pay $1 more for petrol car wash as an SUV, even when mine is just a compact one. Yeah u can say it’s just $1 but I can’t take it when a bigger car like E Class is charged lower than mine 🤪

And that my tyres is not those common size ones (it has a much higher profile) so it costs more compared to a sedan one. I can pay more for better tyres but I don’t like to pay more because of lack of demand thus the higher price levied.

thay said, I like the XC40 very much and I feel it’s nicer looking than the S60, which itself is also handsome.

ive had the first gen 2010 S60 2.0t and I can safely say Volvo’s got the best comfortable seats in the business.

Just that Wearnes’ pricing of the cars is ridiculously higher for the Low OMV.

go with your heart if SUV is what you want but don’t buy one just because “every other person is jumping on the SUV wagon”

• Praise 10

(edited)
3 hours ago, firefly20 said:

For my current T4, it was stated that min fuel is 98 RON. Are you sure 95 RON can do the job?

With a FC of over 12km/l, you give me hope (not typo rite). But I'm realistic enough to know that with the daily commute to Shenton Way thru the packed AYE, I won't be getting anywhere near your numbers.

No, no typo lol. I log the mileage and amount pumped each visit.

The manual says minimum is 95. Good enough for normal drive. It says 98 should give better performance and millage. Initially pump better fuel the since brand new. We shall see come next top up.

Edited by jammer_sg
Addition

3 hours ago, firefly20 said:

Dilemma, dilemma ...

5k difference in  omv? Of course Xc40 less vfm based on omv.

Some will say get what you like /afford/suits you etc. Some will say don't be a carrot etc

Unfortunately, only you can decide. Still it is a good problem to have.

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, douglassim said:

i am not into SUV, but having friends converted from Sedan to SUV. They want to continue getting SUV again. Comparing XC40 to S60 in terms of interior space S60 is superb. Never Test drive SUV before, so i can't help much.

if your family is fine with a maybe smaller interior then go get it if budget is not an issue. What about XC60?

For the XC40, I can still tank that extra $10K if I really like the car. But for the XC60, I will have to dig out more than 1 biscuit tin in my house, or sell blood. 

Nah, I really should live within my means … still need to keep some biscuit tins for rainy days. And I don't want to be collecting can drinks as a form of exercise during my retirement. 😁

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Dannnn said:

actually go with your heart. if you prefer the xc40, 10k more you can take it, why not?

better than bought s60 liao but keep looking at other's xc40.

xc40 is nicer in size compared to xc60(too bulky), i feel.

Yes I could stomach that increase if I want to. Just that when I look at the OMV between the 2 models, I a bit beh song at the profit margin for the XC. Does anyone else look at OMV when buying cars like me? When I was younger, I didn't bother. Now older and wiser, I learned that it matters due to PARF. It's also money refunded to buyers in the end rite?

I was this close to getting the RAV4 ($122K for guaranteed COE when I enquired). All happy and set to go. Then the Volvo promo came up and I saw that the selling price of the S60 was just a few Ks above the cost price. That was what changed my mind (that kiasu syndrome). I mean even if the COE drops to $20K tomorrow, the S60 will still a good buy for me. Anything below $20K, I get the rebate. So I can't lose (I think). 

But it's a different ballgame with the XC40.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I jumped on the SUV wagon 11 years ago and traded it in after less than 2 years. 

I feel most SUVs are just jacked up hatchbacks that offers not much significant extra space as compared to a sedan in the same class. 

the benefits are higher driving position, boot space for loading stuff.. that’s about it.

i didn’t like it when I had to pay $1 more for petrol car wash as an SUV, even when mine is just a compact one. Yeah u can say it’s just $1 but I can’t take it when a bigger car like E Class is charged lower than mine 🤪

And that my tyres is not those common size ones (it has a much higher profile) so it costs more compared to a sedan one. I can pay more for better tyres but I don’t like to pay more because of lack of demand thus the higher price levied.

thay said, I like the XC40 very much and I feel it’s nicer looking than the S60, which itself is also handsome.

ive had the first gen 2010 S60 2.0t and I can safely say Volvo’s got the best comfortable seats in the business.

Just that Wearnes’ pricing of the cars is ridiculously higher for the Low OMV.

go with your heart if SUV is what you want but don’t buy one just because “every other person is jumping on the SUV wagon”

Thanks for the sincere sharing, Theo. Really learned from your experience. One personal reason to get a SUV is that my mum finds it more difficult to enter/exit sedans as she gets older. She suffers from weak knees and it will only get worse.

And if I'm being totally honest, the other reason is novelty. I've never owned a SUV before. It has always been sedans after sedans.

So yah, difficult choice.

↡ Advertisement