2018 Volvo S60 (3rd Gen) & V60 (2nd Gen)

Carbon82

46 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Sales guy said even T6 non foldable. You flipped a lever or unbolt/unscrew the seat backs? 

There is a catch in the boot to do so without unbolting/unscrewing anything.

Thor hammer S90s in SG (regardless of engine variants), without the electric seat folding buttons, unfortunately can only fold 40% of the rear seats.

Thor hammer S60s in SG (regardless of engine variants) can fold all the rear seats.

Edited by Jtsjv
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
22 hours ago, Calvin8808 said:

Ha ha. Well I think it's almost impossible to get it below $120K.

Given that the new car is listed at $170K and maybe after all discounts selling at $150K.

I highly doubt they will give a $30K discount for this. 

Even during the CB days, $129K offer is for management car, test drive car and some new cars.  

In recent COE, open cat lower than cat B alrdy indicate weakness in nearby demand for 2L cars. 

According to an internal friend, dealers are usually using open cat to sell as other cats have longer shelve life of 6mths which they will use as a hedge to sell with "special promo" esp coming end of year, and it'll get even more enticing when coe expecting to rally knowing new hedges will enter to secure price for couple of new models next year. 

So they actually have much more reason to sell cheap by end of year - 

1. To clear ageing stocks 

2. To clear expiring coe 

3. To mitigate competitior risk given new entrance of many new tech on 2021 models. Electric car will take over by next 2 years and prices will become normalize. 

4. S60 to manufacture in Malaysia will also turn many heads away - previously made in US

5. Car sales are simply not moving even with ongoing promo. If when mgmt car has no taker, the sign is very clear. 

So it is very possible to have price better than CB. Don't you worry, dealers have way bigger margin than anyone of us can expect. 🤑

5 hours ago, Wo2wo said:

In recent COE, open cat lower than cat B alrdy indicate weakness in nearby demand for 2L cars. 

According to an internal friend, dealers are usually using open cat to sell as other cats have longer shelve life of 6mths which they will use as a hedge to sell with "special promo" esp coming end of year, and it'll get even more enticing when coe expecting to rally knowing new hedges will enter to secure price for couple of new models next year. 

2. To clear expiring coe 

3. To mitigate competitior risk given new entrance of many new tech on 2021 models. Electric car will take over by next 2 years and prices will become normalize. 

4. S60 to manufacture in Malaysia will also turn many heads away - previously made in US

5. Car sales are simply not moving even with ongoing promo. If when mgmt car has no taker, the sign is very clear. 

So it is very possible to have price better than CB. Don't you worry, dealers have way bigger margin than anyone of us can expect. 🤑

Made in Malaysia? Wow that's a game changer man... Conti branding with proton standard?🤔🤔🤔 Lk that the jap/Korea cars would be even better? 

1 hour ago, Benben0202 said:

Made in Malaysia? Wow that's a game changer man... Conti branding with proton standard?🤔🤔🤔 Lk that the jap/Korea cars would be even better? 

Should be CKD for local market, not for export

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Lotr said:

Should be CKD for local market, not for export

Looks like novelty of volvo has deteriorate tremendously, now under a Chinese company and also made in Malaysia. Not sure how much "continental" value is remaining as it seems like an Asian car to me now. 

7 hours ago, Benben0202 said:

Looks like novelty of volvo has deteriorate tremendously, now under a Chinese company and also made in Malaysia. Not sure how much "continental" value is remaining as it seems like an Asian car to me now. 

It is the same across the board for other European makers too lah. If you serious look at it, only a handful are actually made in their native countries. (Plenty in Hungary, S Africa, Mexico, USA, etc)

At least for now the cars they made are better under Geely than Ford. 

Edited by jammer_sg
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Benben0202 said:

Not exactly sure what is the novelty of Volvo?  I thought they just built premium cars highly focused on safety.  Also, the design of their recent models such as the S60 and XC60 looks very good  to me.  I have also tested the S60  and the feel of driving a continental car is definitely there. 

While it is true that the S90 and XC60 are made in China, I also heard that the upcoming BMW's iX3 aka the full electric version of the X3 will also be made in China and exported here. 

• Praise 5

On 10/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, Wo2wo said:

2. To clear expiring coe 

1) Not sure how much of the ageing stocks Volvo have cleared during the CB. The S60s are manufacture in 2019 for the CB deals and you are right they do need to clear them. In fact few weeks back they were also running promo to clear the 2020 stocks as well as we head into 2021 soon.

2) From what I understand they do not have any expiring COE which is why even though on paper they are making a loss on the CB deals, they proceed to secure CAT B COE at $40K for us. (Resulting in cost to them on paper of $134K and selling price of $129K)

3) Singapore's infrastructure is not ready for mass market electric cars in the next 2 years. 

4) In fact S60 had already been assembled in Malaysia. From Volvo you have XC40, XC60, XC90, S60 and S90, even Honda city, BMW 3 series, 5 series, 6 series, & series, X1. X3 and X4 are assembled (CKD) in Malaysia. But only for local sales not for export.

5) I can't comment on this for Volvo, whether it's moving but I know they sell very well for S60 during CB deals and the fact COE did not crash, I don't think they are not moving. But I can'tt say for sure if it's enough for them? 

My friend did wanted to buy the S60 after seeing my car 2 weeks ago and I called up my SC to find out what's the best price they can offered him, and was quoted $148K.

It's based on this I strongly doubt a few days old car with 2K on the mileage can be nego to below $120K. 

Also the premium brands have a reputation to protect. They can't lowered their price below a certain threshold to damage their brand.

• Praise 2

23 hours ago, jammer_sg said:

It is the same across the board for other European makers too lah. If you serious look at it, only a handful are actually made in their native countries. (Plenty in Hungary, S Africa, Mexico, USA, etc)

At least for now the cars they made are better under Geely than Ford. 

Yup I agreed. With the Chinese investment they do have the financial power. In my opinion the SPA platform models are so much better then previously under Ford.

I'm just glad that S60 was built in USA though.

I was pondering between S60 and S90. S60 being built in USA compared to S90 being built in China play a part  

On 10/25/2020 at 1:50 AM, Benben0202 said:

Well at least the car built and quality still very continental to me and made in Malaysia is actually assembled in Malaysia and have been around for many years. BMWs do have lot of models assembled in Malaysia. They are not for export though, just like Volvo.

Might not be a bad thing to have a plant that assembles a particular model right next door like Malaysia. I am guessing if a replacement part is required, it might not take as long for the part to come. 

1 hour ago, jammer_sg said:

Might not be a bad thing to have a plant that assembles a particular model right next door like Malaysia. I am guessing if a replacement part is required, it might not take as long for the part to come. 

In fact I know of some Volvo owners that visited the AD for Volvo in JB before the lockdown to get parts as it's cheaper.

Anyone knows whether Wearnes is bringing in V60 T4 next year? I asked them today and they only have T5 R-Design which is $170k. My budget $150k tops.

13 minutes ago, Fitmugen said:

Anyone knows whether Wearnes is bringing in V60 T4 next year? I asked them today and they only have T5 R-Design which is $170k. My budget $150k tops.

Did you check with your SC? They should be able to tell you.

If not can consider the S60? Only difference is the boot size with more headroom but cheaper. I was told V60 will be more noisy due to this design

↡ Advertisement