2018 Volvo S60 (3rd Gen) & V60 (2nd Gen)

Carbon82

2 hours ago, douglassim said:

Yo buddies,

To own a car in Spore, means we are rich. [Especially, own a continental Car] LOL

So can't complain much when petrol price raises and we need to go top up.

Between 95 and 98, price diff is not exorbitant till need to sell kidney. [Body parts or Loan Money] 

I may not spend the time to calculate for 95 or 98 is better in terms of efficiency. [Although I appreciate the thought of suggestion how to calculate]

Besides, higher RON is always encouraged by AD Sales and Car Enthusiast. [I assume]

Overall, I say go with whatever petrol you are comfortable with paying. [95 or 98]

Efficient or not, personal preference or not.

We will need to scrap car at 10years. LOL

Just a penny of my thoughts, I apologise if I may have directly or indirectly hurt anyone with my thoughts. 

Cheers.

Hey not to worry, you hurt no one with your thoughts here!

We are just discussing here and I'm sure we can all afford V-Power too if we want. 

Am also not saying you are wrong. I just curious also cos I do hear people say it both ways as in some say no difference in FC while some do say 98 is better. In fact even the Volvo manual says 98 for better performance and fuel consumption. It's just that when I tried both I feel the FC is about the same.

My friend also told me 98 is better in FC so that's why I ask him if the FC is 20% better cos that's roughly the price difference between between 95 and 98. He told ne FC is only maybe 5% better which is why I told him then why are you paying 20% more for a 5% better efficiency? But in the end he still pump 98 cos he think it could be better for his car.

Last but least I wasn't disputing you or asking you to calculate to the cents, but was just curious as you mentioned that the FC for 98 was better so just curious is it really better as in more than 20% or is it just me that couldn't achieve 20% better FC.

Cheers! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Hey not to worry, you hurt no one with your thoughts here!

We are just discussing here and I'm sure we can all afford V-Power too if we want. 

Am also not saying you are wrong. I just curious also cos I do hear people say it both ways as in some say no difference in FC while some do say 98 is better. In fact even the Volvo manual says 98 for better performance and fuel consumption. It's just that when I tried both I feel the FC is about the same.

My friend also told me 98 is better in FC so that's why I ask him if the FC is 20% better cos that's roughly the price difference between between 95 and 98. He told ne FC is only maybe 5% better which is why I told him then why are you paying 20% more for a 5% better efficiency? But in the end he still pump 98 cos he think it could be better for his car.

Last but least I wasn't disputing you or asking you to calculate to the cents, but was just curious as you mentioned that the FC for 98 was better so just curious is it really better as in more than 20% or is it just me that couldn't achieve 20% better FC.

Cheers! 

Glad to hear you are cool with the discussions, no hard feelings. [Of Course, Main aim is to discuss and share knowledge/opinions]

I am also shocked how come 95, need to top up in 10 days as compare to 98 in 14 days. [Although, I never pump 95 again to monitor]

I may be tempted to pump Vpower during their promo period. LOL

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, douglassim said:

Glad to hear you are cool with the discussions, no hard feelings. [Of Course, Main aim is to discuss and share knowledge/opinions]

I am also shocked how come 95, need to top up in 10 days as compare to 98 in 14 days. [Although, I never pump 95 again to monitor]

I may be tempted to pump Vpower during their promo period. LOL

Ya I think should pump V-Power during this promo. 

I usually only pump 98 once every 2 to 3 months. Maybe can also use this opportunity to pump V-Power

11 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Ya I think should pump V-Power during this promo. 

I usually only pump 98 once every 2 to 3 months. Maybe can also use this opportunity to pump V-Power

If every gear pulls till 4k RPM, it is worth the extra dollar to pump 98 or V-Power.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If every gear pulls till 4k RPM, it is worth the extra dollar to pump 98 or V-Power.

If car not tuned to need 98, then what’s the diff? 

18 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

If car not tuned to need 98, then what’s the diff? 

The ECU will adapt and usually will result is minor HP and torque boost.

Twincharged
2 hours ago, theory_87 said:

The ECU will adapt and usually will result is minor HP and torque boost.

Disagree if the car is tuned for 95, using 98 won’t make a diff. Unless it clearly mentions that 98 is highly recommended but 95 is also ok. 
which means tuned for 98, and will retard timing if 95 is used. However it will not advance timing if 100 octane is used. 

Edited by Mkl22

Just passed my TP, and I'm considering getting a Volvo due to its reputation for safety. Likely second hand too since it's my first car and I'm not sure if I can stomach the pain if I scratch a brand new car lol. 

Since I'm new, I'm more inclined to get a car that's 1.6l. Is the S60 T2 my only option if I prefer a Volvo that's around 4 years or newer? These go for about $80k to $90k depending on mileage and registration date. 

2 hours ago, whyhx said:

Just passed my TP, and I'm considering getting a Volvo due to its reputation for safety. Likely second hand too since it's my first car and I'm not sure if I can stomach the pain if I scratch a brand new car lol. 

Since I'm new, I'm more inclined to get a car that's 1.6l. Is the S60 T2 my only option if I prefer a Volvo that's around 4 years or newer? These go for about $80k to $90k depending on mileage and registration date. 

How about a V40 T2? A practical hatchback for 4 pax, looks modern, and friendlier for new drivers.

if you test drive the s60 t2 and v40 t2, u will find the t2 very well suited for the v40. T2 is 1.5L btw.

• Praise 2

@Jtsjv

3 hours ago, Jtsjv said:

How about a V40 T2? A practical hatchback for 4 pax, looks modern, and friendlier for new drivers.

if you test drive the s60 t2 and v40 t2, u will find the t2 very well suited for the v40. T2 is 1.5L btw.

Thanks for the recommendation! The V40 does look good, but For some reason all the V40 listed currently have high mileage. Will keep a lookout for more! 

3 hours ago, MafiaGeek said:

Probably best to avoid T2, they are ford engine and gearbox (dual clutch).

Huh! Who says??

33 minutes ago, MafiaGeek said:

Says Google

only 2016 onwards T2 is VEA engine.  

And did Wearnes bring in any non VEA T2 engine to SG?

Edited by Jtsjv

@MafiaGeek You're misinformed. The T2 was only available from the VEA Drive-E engines. The Ecoboost smallest nomenclature used was the T3, which wasn't available for our market. The T2 was available from 3rd quarter 2015, and is mated to the TG-71SC Aisin gearbox. 

Edited by Nikos_tan
  • Praise 4

9 minutes ago, Nikos_tan said:

@MafiaGeek You're misinformed. The T2 was only available from the VEA Drive-E engines. The Ecoboost smallest nomenclature used was the T3, which wasn't available for our market. The T2 was available from 3rd quarter 2015, and is mated to the TG-71SC Aisin gearbox. 

sorry I was mistaken.   I though it was mentioned 1.6 engine so lead me to think it has to be ecoboost

• Praise 1