2018 Volvo S60 (3rd Gen) & V60 (2nd Gen)

Carbon82

30 minutes ago, theory_87 said:

My understanding is the mild hybrid version of V/S60 will be launch in Sept.

Yo Buddy,

Correct me if i am wrong.

There will be 2 versions of S60, the T8 and Mild Hybrid version?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, douglassim said:

There will be 2 versions of S60, the T8 and Mild Hybrid version?

sorry for noob question ..

t8 is phev right? 

but if currently someone stays in flats with no convenient access to overnight charging, does that affect the car in any way (except that of course with the battery not charged one cannot use full ev mode for that 50km or whatever distance ..) 

in other words can the car function like a hybrid (like a prius for example) that the batteries are only charged with the car is used on the road? will the life of the batteries be affected?

thanks in advance 🙂

Edited by Mooose

@Mooose Yes , PHEV you can use petrol to power it all the way, but then it will be no point if so.

Extra weight and more costly than lets say T5.

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

@Mooose Yes , PHEV you can use petrol to power it all the way, but then it will be no point if so.

Extra weight and more costly than lets say T5.

yes understand .. but that is 260bhp vs 407bhp .. hahaha

36 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

@Mooose The biggest selling point of PHEV is electric drive.

The battery is 3x bigger than Prius.

yes understand, it does seem like a waste in a way, but was just curious whether feasible to get the 400bhp power without plug in charging ..

just to clarify my question - leaving aside the additional cost/weight .. will using a T8 PHEV like a normal hybrid be detrimental to the car?

i.e with no or little plug in charging but mostly if not almost entirely on filling petrol ..

23 minutes ago, Mooose said:

yes understand, it does seem like a waste in a way, but was just curious whether feasible to get the 400bhp power without plug in charging ..

ECU will ensure that battery is not fully depleted.

On the other hand, electric motor may not be fully utilize as the battery is insufficiently charged

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

ECU will ensure that battery is not fully depleted.

On the other hand, electric motor may not be fully utilize as the battery is insufficiently charged

thank you, this is useful.

i was under the impression that the battery can fully charge (much like a normal hybrid) if one drives long enough ..

1 minute ago, Mooose said:

thank you, this is useful.

i was under the impression that the battery can fully charge (much like a normal hybrid) if one drives long enough ..

You might need to drive from Singapore to KL.

PHEV charging current is low including from wall plug

26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

thank you!

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

How many hour of charging is required for a full charge? 

I remember the ECU capped the charge by using petrol only to 80% or something, forget liao.

thus only plug in can get full charge, if using petrol then no.

unless u r really that power hungry, if not by just using petrol mostly, really is not worth it.

• Praise 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, Mooose said:

just to clarify my question - leaving aside the additional cost/weight .. will using a T8 PHEV like a normal hybrid be detrimental to the car?

i.e with no or little plug in charging but mostly if not almost entirely on filling petrol ..

No issue. Just that you wouldnt be maximising the full potential of the battery.

Without plugging in, there is the option to drive like a normal hybrid (where ur battery charge usually never exceeds 10%, and usually regenerated fr braking), or u can click the charge button to deliberately charge it back to up to 80% charge level. This consumes more petrol, but its useful if u do this on highway drives where engine use is more efficient, and utilise the electric drives in start stop traffic. For the s60 t8, shld be able to achieve 13km/l this way.

But if you charge regularly (everyday at least once) like me, no issues getting between 50-160km/l. Energy (petrol + electricity) costs shld be about 70+% lower than an almost equivalent ICE volvo (eg s90 t6).

• Praise 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, Mooose said:

If you look at drag race videos online, the Volvo T8 reaches about 160+ km/h in about 12-13s. Based on the charge in the battery (even if its quite empty), it shld be able to last this duration. 

the car’s computer will automatically find opportunities to charge back the battery either thru regenerative braking or engine.

to note, the t8’s rear electric motor is de-coupled at speeds beyond 160kph, to avoid overheating. So it’s effectively only 315bhp cars at those speeds.

On 6/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, mersaylee said:

How many hour of charging is required for a full charge? 

Max charging speed for the T8 is 3.7kW. So that’s about 2h 45min fr empty to full.

• Praise 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, Mooose said:

thank you!

I dont think it requires so long a distance . I recall 80-100+km of smooth cruising (with charging mode on) shld be able to get it to approx 80% or 32km electric range. This is based on my t8 driving experiences overseas on the s90 and xc90, where i had little opportunity to plug in and charge.

but the key qn is do we need to deliberately get 32km of electric range if the distance fr exit of highway to the re-entry of the highway is less than 32km.

my experience in sg when battery charge is pretty low, i could gain about 6km of electric range from approx 10km of drive. It will of course get ‘more difficult’ as the battery charge gets fuller.

↡ Advertisement