Eclipse time!

therock

It's time to get your cameras out!

An eclipse of the century is due!

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/longest-total-lunar-eclipse-of-the-century-to-occur-on-july-28-morning-in-singapore

SINGAPORE - Astronomy enthusiasts can mark their calendars for July 28, when the longest total lunar eclipse of the century will take place in Singapore.

The total eclipse will last an hour and 43 minutes, and will be the longest in the 21st century, according to science website EarthSky.

The eclipse, also known as a blood moon, will be mainly visible from the Earth's eastern hemisphere, which includes Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia.

In Singapore, the lunar event will start from 1.14am, with a total eclipse at 3.30am that will last until 5.13am.

This total lunar eclipse is especially long because the moon will be passing through the central part of the Earth's shadow.

According to EarthSky, the longest possible lunar eclipse is 1 hour and 47 minutes.

This was almost achieved in 2000, on July 16, when a total lunar eclipse lasted for 1 hour and 46.4 minutes. At that time, the moon aligned almost perfectly with the centre of the Earth's shadow, the website added.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Any cheap equipment to recommend?

Bino? Telescope? Handheld Viewer? Eclipse glasses?

lunar lei....not solar! You will oni need 2 matchsticks to keep your eyes opened.....

I love eclipses :inlove:

Any meet-up? :secret-laugh:

Normally I would say yeah.. but I am afraid of meeting Dracula

Twincharged

Between 1:14am to 3:30am, I think most people here will be zzzzzzzzzzzz

"In Singapore, the lunar event will start from 1.14am, with a total eclipse at 3.30am that will last until 5.13am."

will anyone be able to tell between the eclipse and the usual darkness at night ??

"In Singapore, the lunar event will start from 1.14am, with a total eclipse at 3.30am that will last until 5.13am."

will anyone be able to tell between the eclipse and the usual darkness at night ??

Hmmmm?

Let me predict how it will look like....  :D

nintchdbpict000380216132.jpg

Ok... Now everyone can go back to sleep..  :D

not this?

Cc_5zcKUsAAKcJ-.jpg

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Red colour moon.

Supersonic

Let me predict how it will look like.... :D

nintchdbpict000380216132.jpg

Ok... Now everyone can go back to sleep.. :D

Maybe redder?

Any cheap equipment to recommend?

Bino? Telescope? Handheld Viewer? Eclipse glasses?

I will have my 600mm lens ready :)
↡ Advertisement