COE Bidding – 1st Round of July 2018

Carbon82

That's not comparing orange to orange. Take peak car prices from years ago and then say that Elantra is now cheap?

Elantra now is buy 1 free 1 if base on Nov 2013 pricelist 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

That's not comparing orange to orange. Take peak car prices from years ago and then say that Elantra is now cheap?

of course we can't compare fully, different year, different policy, different car models in the market. But generally car pricing has went down a lot due to lower COE. Low COE does equate to lower car pricing but may not go down in-line together. 

• Praise 1

Ya, cannot like tat compare..If like tat compare, 2009 Avante (aka nw Elantra) 37k, compare to 2013, 3 free.  :a-confused:

• Praise 1

4th Gear

The article does make a lot of sense, but the writer did not elaborate.  He's probably not wanting to sound like a broken record by saying "we're not saying anything new here"

I'm also not elaborating much here, but here goes...  Open bidding is one thing, but it's another thing when it's apparent all the dealers know the market very well (even by just observing the number of visitors and bookings every day).  In order to sell, they've to balance the coe prices they're bidding against profits (not just by each car but strategically over a period of time).  So yes in short, of course it's the agents controlling the price level.

I used to think that our G is so noble to control car population (period) but as the number of birthdays keep clicking up, it's apparent collecting revenues is also a top priority.  The agents collectively make sure revenues are smoothed out, easier for financial budgeting.

The other point which was called out numerous times was not just open bidding, but pay for what you bid.  Winner's curse excuse is just a smoke screen - again the purpose of not changing is to make sure revenues is budgeted with accuracy.

There is no collusion.This is a free open bidding!

How can the writer insinuate otherwise!

All along we are brainwashed that the car buyers are willing to pay for the high COE prices. It cannot be the AD that are controlling the COE price level!!!

5. The COE bidding system is flawed
Okay, we’re not saying anything new here. Everyone knows that there’s probably a better way to regulate vehicle growth in Singapore than COE. And I’m well aware that each proposed alternative often comes with its own problems.

But one thing the drop in COE prices tells us is that the dealers really have a significant influence on how expensive your new car will be. Many dealers offer to help you bid for COE, and they have their own agenda regarding how much they’re willing to bid.

This may explain the drop in number of bids compared to previous months. Thanks to the VES, dealers are now incentivised to keep COE low, in order to not turn buyers off by a combination of VES surcharges and high COE prices. One dealer claims that dealers have “systems in place” to prevent a rush to place COE bids at the same time.

Unlike individuals, companies can place multiple COE bids. But let’s be fair to them as well. As another dealer pointed out, “We are the only country that sells new cars without knowing how much profit you are going to make.”

What do you think of the low COE prices? Are you going to wait and see if they will drop further next month?

K3 Elantra not the best selling in Singapore. Here i am talking about the altis.

I strongly believe Altis is no longer the best selling sedan in Spore. I don't find many facelift Altis on the road.

On the other hand, I believe Hyundai/Kia is doing very well. I see many Elantra and K3.

4th Gear

Just clarifying are you saying our G is helping us to own car ?  Below is not targeting at you, but my thoughts...

The last time I heard they're concerned of the people's aspirations was like ages ago.  At the time, they were talking about helping Singaporeans to achieve 5Cs.

AlI I heard in recent years is more money is needed, to fund the military generals and to buy more super duper military hardware, fund PA for political purposes, and for bribing the people (although what bribe is in contention lately).  Any one refuting, please cite me any one taking care of Singaporeans' aspirations (only citizens are called Singaporeans) .  I've passed the aspirations but am not optimistic for the next gen (collectively).

I agreed with the OP that the G is thinking of how to skim more money - all the while in the last 10+ years.

10 years loan will cause coe to go up again. i hope they further tighten the loan or at least in force those low down payment packages provided by PI.

• Praise 1

Those who can afford to wait should not hurry to jump in. If COE drop below 30K, those who renewed earlier when PQP was 50s can seriously consider changing. I am one of them..

There is no collusion.This is a free open bidding!

How can the writer insinuate otherwise!

All along we are brainwashed that the car buyers are willing to pay for the high COE prices. It cannot be the AD that are controlling the COE price level!!!

5. The COE bidding system is flawed
Okay, we’re not saying anything new here. Everyone knows that there’s probably a better way to regulate vehicle growth in Singapore than COE. And I’m well aware that each proposed alternative often comes with its own problems.

But one thing the drop in COE prices tells us is that the dealers really have a significant influence on how expensive your new car will be. Many dealers offer to help you bid for COE, and they have their own agenda regarding how much they’re willing to bid.

This may explain the drop in number of bids compared to previous months. Thanks to the VES, dealers are now incentivised to keep COE low, in order to not turn buyers off by a combination of VES surcharges and high COE prices. One dealer claims that dealers have “systems in place” to prevent a rush to place COE bids at the same time.

Unlike individuals, companies can place multiple COE bids. But let’s be fair to them as well. As another dealer pointed out, “We are the only country that sells new cars without knowing how much profit you are going to make.”

What do you think of the low COE prices? Are you going to wait and see if they will drop further next month?

• Praise 3

Just clarifying are you saying our G is helping us to own car ? Below is not targeting at you, but my thoughts...

The last time I heard they're concerned of the people's aspirations was like ages ago. At the time, they were talking about helping Singaporeans to achieve 5Cs.

AlI I heard in recent years is more money is needed, to fund the military generals and to buy more super duper military hardware, fund PA for political purposes, and for bribing the people (although what bribe is in contention lately). Any one refuting, please cite me any one taking care of Singaporeans' aspirations (only citizens are called Singaporeans) . I've passed the aspirations but am not optimistic for the next gen (collectively).

I agreed with the OP that the G is thinking of how to skim more money - all the while in the last 10+ years.

I am deeply disappointed with the govt. I know I did the right thing by voting opposition . Taking care of its citizens is not a priority, despite the wayang show. Milking its citizens for money is what they are always good at. It is made worse when they have so much support from the people. Close to 70 per cent.
  • Praise 2

Do not be hoodwinked by the so-called "cheap" $20K COE.

VES 2.0 slaps surcharges of $10K to $20K on top of the car's prices, and these surcharges would not be returned in any way; once the car is registered, it's in the coffers of LTA forever.

So to me, $20K COE means actually $40K (inclusive of $20K VES surcharge), with $20K non-refundable.

LTA would not want to be in a position where you scrap a $90K COE and they have to return to you pro-rata when you decide to scrap your car, and pay for a current $34K COE.

Totally agree and this is also why you have to give it to the LTA scholars. They make you feel damn good with a big $20K rebate and they appear damn environmental friendly but in reality, buyer end up paying $10K from their parf.

Anw, 3 pm laio, the horse race has began. The horses got turbo today?

• Praise 1

seems like it will drop big time.. PA only bidded $28.3k for me.. wth

Not to worry on that, dealer can always adjust the bid price. So no worry on that!

(edited)

3.42pm

Cat A engine still cannot start $1.

Cat B like engine stall at $29K.

Looks like a good day for tikam/self bid.

Edited by Matrix0405

Supersonic

seems like it will drop big time.. PA only bidded $28.3k for me.. wth

I can only say you have a very very good chance this round regardless the outcome of coe price.

I can only say you have a very very good chance this round regardless the outcome of coe price.

i buay kam wan let deal jiak 10k profit like this! need at least 32k la!!

↡ Advertisement