The GST Thread

Throttle2

1 hour ago, yishunite said:

Moreover survival consumption for basic necessity is a larger portion of their salary and they have far less savings therefore gst is a larger proportion of their salary too

This is why all economists call gst a regressive tax that hurts the poor

Only in lala land can it be spun into a tool for helping the poor

I think it was suggested before that basic necessities can be taxed at 5% GST, luxury goods etc at 9% GST etc. This should ensure that the really poor don't get hammered by this broad stroke to tax everything at 9% GST.

It was however rejected by Heng Swee Keat on grounds that it will result in unnecessary categorisation. Whatever he means, go figure. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Here it comes.....can you feel the rumble of the impending tsunami?  Those who received financial help(i.e. chicken wing) from Govt during the pandemic will soon have to repay whole chicken. 😁

Public feedback sought on proposed changes to GST Act

The public has been invited to provide feedback on proposed amendments to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Act that include the effecting of the two-step change in GST rate from 7 per cent to 9 per cent. The Ministry of Finance (MOF) is seeking feedback on five proposed legislative amendments, two of which were announced in the Budget statement on Feb 18 this year and for which MOF seeks comments on the legislative drafting, it said in a statement on Monday (June 13). 

The first amendment effects the change in GST rate from 7 per cent to 8 per cent from Jan 1 next year, and from 8 per cent to 9 per cent from Jan 1, 2024.

GST was last raised from 5 per cent to 7 per cent in 2007.

The upcoming increase will bring in about $3.5 billion of revenue annually when the full hike is in place in 2024. The revenue will go towards supporting healthcare expenditure and taking care of senior citizens while other areas of social spending rise as well.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/public-feedback-sought-on-gst-changes-including-two-stage-hike-to-9-rate

• Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Didu said:

Here it comes.....can you feel the rumble of the impending tsunami?  Those who received financial help(i.e. chicken wing) from Govt during the pandemic will soon have to repay whole chicken. 😁

Public feedback sought on proposed changes to GST Act

The public has been invited to provide feedback on proposed amendments to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Act that include the effecting of the two-step change in GST rate from 7 per cent to 9 per cent. The Ministry of Finance (MOF) is seeking feedback on five proposed legislative amendments, two of which were announced in the Budget statement on Feb 18 this year and for which MOF seeks comments on the legislative drafting, it said in a statement on Monday (June 13). 

The first amendment effects the change in GST rate from 7 per cent to 8 per cent from Jan 1 next year, and from 8 per cent to 9 per cent from Jan 1, 2024.

GST was last raised from 5 per cent to 7 per cent in 2007.

The upcoming increase will bring in about $3.5 billion of revenue annually when the full hike is in place in 2024. The revenue will go towards supporting healthcare expenditure and taking care of senior citizens while other areas of social spending rise as well.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/public-feedback-sought-on-gst-changes-including-two-stage-hike-to-9-rate

I guess is just nice can pay for the SportsHub.......😑

Supercharged

Sounds like a lot of people will benefit. In actual fact 1.5 mil is just a small segment of Singaporeans.  [thumbsdown]  Every time Govt give handout, be prepare to return "whole chicken", even for those who did not receive any handout. Are we allowed to say...

mailah-mailah-mailah.gif 

1.5 million Singaporeans to get up to S$300 cash in special GST Voucher payment, all households to get S$100 utilities credit

About 1.5 million Singaporeans will receive up to S$300 cash in a special GST Voucher payment in August, announced Minister for Finance Lawrence Wong on Tuesday (Jun 21). 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/gst-voucher-cash-special-payment-singaporeans-household-utilities-credit-2759761

Twincharged

I understand that the idea is to benefit Singaporeans more than the many foreigners working or coming here by giving out vouchers instead of a tax break for all. 

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Didu said:

Sounds like a lot of people will benefit. In actual fact 1.5 mil is just a small segment of Singaporeans.  [thumbsdown]  Every time Govt give handout, be prepare to return "whole chicken", even for those who did not receive any handout. Are we allowed to say...

mailah-mailah-mailah.gif 

1.5 million Singaporeans to get up to S$300 cash in special GST Voucher payment, all households to get S$100 utilities credit

About 1.5 million Singaporeans will receive up to S$300 cash in a special GST Voucher payment in August, announced Minister for Finance Lawrence Wong on Tuesday (Jun 21). 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/gst-voucher-cash-special-payment-singaporeans-household-utilities-credit-2759761

8 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I understand that the idea is to benefit Singaporeans more than the many foreigners working or coming here by giving out vouchers instead of a tax break for all. 

It shows Govt has more revenue than budgeted.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
11 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Not even one kosong prata

ccb pxp 😁

Actually that means you are doing well. 

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Actually that means you are doing well. 

Can do not well to do... 

Low income maybe get subsidised kosong prata, I low ses have to pay in full price as those high ses...not to mention hnw...i also go c class one hor...not the pointed star but common ward without aircon...😁

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

dont be so happy, you may get this. 

image.png.340cce82223937497ae1004040690b06.png

You stay landed leh.

Leave the $700 for people like me. 😁

• Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

You stay landed leh.

Leave the $700 for people like me. 😁

This screen pops up when I was checking for on behalf of my friend.

• Haha! 4