GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

You will be surprised what actually happened in the market. I personally know of a few cases of high income earner staying in HDB flat and using their money for properties or other investment. 

Case 1: Both husband and wife are holding Director position in private firms, each earning >$10K easily, yet they bought a 3 room resale HDB at Woodlands and stay there with their only son + maid. They invested heavily in shares and funds using their "spare cash". 

Case 2: One of my long time friend, a Marketing Program Director working in a MNC earning a 5 figure salary, even paid his brother in full cash, to buy a BTO 2 room flat for own stay (his brother is working overseas all the while). He then invested his fund in private properties and the amount he made over the past 15 years is enough for him to get a brand new 4 bedder at Tanjong Rhu with full cash.

Case 3: Son of my former neighbor, both husband and wife earn about $14 -  15K in combination, stay in 3 room HDB (resale) when they first got married, with the plan to save up for starting their own company (which they did after 3 -  4 years). FYI, they paid well above market value for the resale flat as they have the financial ability to do so.

So it is not necessary that high income earners would go for bigger flat or EC with the rule change. I agree with others that we are just increasing the demands (and worst, subsidizing their purchases with our tax money) , which might in turn lead to further price escalation, if supply and demand are not managed properly.

You also monthly 5 figure salary?

↡ Advertisement

51 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Sponsoring? Are you referring to the "subsidy", which is clawed back in any case by bonded service?

I have already mentioned that I don't see very much real talent coming from India or China (or the Philippines) into our medical sector. This is after they've graduated from their top local institutions (the only ones to be recognised by the SMC). So, no, I doubt very much they'll be any competition to our locals.

(That having been said, the local medical school intake has had to be greatly increased because the gahmen has screwed up its projections - so it is possible that "less atas" people may be eligible for our med schools (plural) than would've been the case in the past. But I am going to expand on the gahmen screwup that led to all this in my next para).

What the gahmen is doing is bringing in foreign trained doctors whole-sale to supplement the locally graduating cohort. I've already expressed my reservations about the quality of some of these imports, but what I am most perturbed about (and what should concern you) is that this band-aid policy (along with the drastic increase in our own local intake) was a result of the gahmen's own grievous miscalculation about the number of doctors that would be needed.

This gahmen, despite priding itself on its "technocratic nature", has proven to be incompetent in making basic projections like these. So excuse me if I take everything they say or do with a huge pile of salt.

But to get back to your point - your notion of "fairness" is a very skewed one. What I was asking for is fewer (to no) imports in any tertiary course. Not bringing in more foreigners to compete in all the courses.

During my time (because of the gahmen's screwed up projections as I mentioned), many of the very best of the cohort (with straight As) were forced to take up local Uni courses of the gahmen's choosing (as opposed to their own). The ones who really wanted to do Medicine had to do it overseas. I was spared this because of my race - yes, there is a racial quota - and they needed all the minority students they could get - but I had Chinese friends who were exceptional who were not so lucky.

So there were locals who were squeezed out, but at the time it was not because of the FT import policy. It was gahmen incompetence of a different stripe.

But the ones who were squeezed out are mostly settled elsewhere now. It is rather saddening that we are now importing FT doctors (who've never done a day of med school training locally) to take up the jobs that those very bright Singaporeans might otherwise have been doing.

Oh, so they're giving us a moral lesson? In handling adversity or whatever? Fine, let's repay their kindness and give them one in return. Since they pride themselves on calling this a "democracy" and going through the motions as such, let's introduce them to the harsh realities of real democracies worldwide. Like peaceful, lawful regime-change through the voice of the electorate. It's unheard of for politicians in any other democracy to have such uninterrupted job security. Basically, let's vote them out of power and "acclimatise" them to the reality of democracy. Fair?

And not every expression of desire to see social wrongs righted should be dismissed as "complaining".

I am glad you have turned out well, else I am sure the political scene here would have become more vibrant or richer haha.

I am sympathetic to those who might have become doctors but were turned away because of quotas imposed. But I am not going to this quota thingy as I would have gladly become a lawyer or architect or whatever that can earn big bucks, as I am thinking those bright students if they are rejected due to quota issue would not be given a place in engineering instead unless their results are not that good. My apologies for my simple mind. But I really have deep respect for those in the medical field, having gone under a minor surgery just last week and doing another major one next month. This explain why I am so free now.

As for democracy, my thinking is that every country is different due to its history so no standard democracy formula that can fit all situations. If we can still prosper under current climate, then we are getting most of the things right which is good enough for me. We are not living in a perfect world, so I do not think we can have perfect policies all the time. So long as everyone is given opportunities to grow, that would be good enough for me. Focus more on the positive things we have here.

But you really relish replying with WOT haha. I will stop here as not really my business to answer on behalf of the government which must have some good logic at that point in time but looks bad now on hindsight, which everyone seems to have one now. Lets not get too fixated on the discussions here. I am pulling myself out haha. Have a good day.

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

I am glad you have turned out well, else I am sure the political scene here would have become more vibrant or richer haha.

I am sympathetic to those who might have become doctors but were turned away because of quotas imposed. But I am not going to this quota thingy as I would have gladly become a lawyer or architect or whatever that can earn big bucks, as I am thinking those bright students if they are rejected due to quota issue would not be given a place in engineering instead unless their results are not that good. My apologies for my simple mind. But I really have deep respect for those in the medical field, having gone under a minor surgery just last week and doing another major one next month. This explain why I am so free now.

As for democracy, my thinking is that every country is different due to its history so no standard democracy formula that can fit all situations. If we can still prosper under current climate, then we are getting most of the things right which is good enough for me. We are not living in a perfect world, so I do not think we can have perfect policies all the time. So long as everyone is given opportunities to grow, that would be good enough for me. Focus more on the positive things we have here.

But you really relish replying with WOT haha. I will stop here as not really my business to answer on behalf of the government which must have some good logic at that point in time but looks bad now on hindsight, which everyone seems to have one now. Lets not get too fixated on the discussions here. I am pulling myself out haha. Have a good day.

No worries. I am ever-ready to defend local talent (simply because I've seen a lot of it). I have friends who are now in politics, and obviously more of them are affiliated with the ruling party. It saddens me to see how some of them have turned away from idealism. 

I have respect for engineering, especially electrical engineering. Don't forget I used to be a tech geek when I was younger. I used to do electronics as a hobby. I've designed and electrolytically etched PCBs myself. I was headed to Caltech on a PSC OMS until my dad advised me to stay here and become a doctor. So engineering gets a lot of respect from me.

With regard to democracy, what we have here isn't. Not really. But we have the power to right that as well. 

I'll end by saying better I be WOT than our gahmen be WOL (L = legs). Also if you're pulling out, remember to squirt in a considerate fashion. 😜

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I was headed to Caltech on a PSC OMS until my dad advised me to stay here and become a doctor. So engineering gets a lot of respect from me.

Wow... that's a huge gamble giving that up. 😳

4 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

HDB housing grant suddenly increase...

Good things suddenly happened.

COE likely to plunge this 2 months, those who need a new car better buy now!

Very caring Gov we have! 👍

I think Elite must have done some survey and found many are not happy with them ...... 😅

• Praise 7

2 hours ago, Angcheek said:

I think Elite must have done some survey and found many are not happy with them ...... 😅

election year must give out chicken wings

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

You will be surprised what actually happened in the market. I personally know of a few cases of high income earner staying in HDB flat and using their money for properties or other investment. 

Case 1: Both husband and wife are holding Director position in private firms, each earning >$10K easily, yet they bought a 3 room resale HDB at Woodlands and stay there with their only son + maid. They invested heavily in shares and funds using their "spare cash". 

Case 2: One of my long time friend, a Marketing Program Director working in a MNC earning a 5 figure salary, even paid his brother in full cash, to buy a BTO 2 room flat for own stay (his brother is working overseas all the while). He then invested his fund in private properties and the amount he made over the past 15 years is enough for him to get a brand new 4 bedder at Tanjong Rhu with full cash.

Case 3: Son of my former neighbor, both husband and wife earn about $14 -  15K in combination, stay in 3 room HDB (resale) when they first got married, with the plan to save up for starting their own company (which they did after 3 -  4 years). FYI, they paid well above market value for the resale flat as they have the financial ability to do so.

So it is not necessary that high income earners would go for bigger flat or EC with the rule change. I agree with others that we are just increasing the demands (and worst, subsidizing their purchases with our tax money) , which might in turn lead to further price escalation, if supply and demand are not managed properly.

Of every rich success story, there are also poor and need help story. So well.. 

23 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

election year must give out chicken wings

I think is this year liao. Give out some chicken wings, after election take back whole chicken farm. 

• Praise 6

2 hours ago, Angcheek said:

No need survey de lah.

So many unpopular decisions to make just to keep the little red dot alive and kicking.

Sure many are unhappy. It’s just that nobody has an actual better set of ideas that work beyond just garnering popular support or potential bounced cheques.

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Angcheek said:

No need do survey lah.

Also no need conduct experiment we also know when sugar thrown on table, ants will happily appear.

How to resist the food on table?😅

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

I think is this year liao. Give out some chicken wings, after election take back whole chicken farm. 

Whether to return the entire farm is ones choice. I hope u understand what i'm saying.😉

• Praise 6