GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

11 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Of every rich success story, there are also poor and need help story. So well.. 

Yah true.. it's inspirational to read those successful stories, but let's not forget those who did not make it and fall through the cracks

End of the day, if can live reasonably well, with enough to eat, no much debts, happy and contended with life.. it's considered very fortunate already... no need to be among the best and richest in this rat race

Edited by Scion
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

9 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

Whether to return the entire farm is ones choice. I hope u understand what i'm saying.😉

I always take chicken wings but I always try to don't let them take back chicken farm every election but majority is ok with it so I got no choice. Hope you get what I mean also. 😉

• Praise 3

It’s always easier to blame others and claim righteousness.

Easy to criticise but not easy to suggest good solutions.

But once you lost the whole chicken farm, you can forget about even getting chicken feet, much less wings!

• Praise 4

I always accept that we are living in an imperfect world, there is no need to be perfect as that is totally impossible. So long as most of the things are working, I am ok with it.

An example is every Sunday when I enter HDB carparks that are free parking, I always feel frustrated that the gantry still operate even though it is not collecting money. Why not just let it be in upright position throughout the whole day to conserve some energy and reduce mechanical tear and wear? But I can accept this imperfection so I will not cast my vote to oppo party of my town just to voice my displeasure. If I really cannot tahan, I will write in to my town council. Maybe it will happen one of these days as it really make no sense haha.

• Praise 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, Carbon82 said:

You will be surprised what actually happened in the market. I personally know of a few cases of high income earner staying in HDB flat and using their money for properties or other investment. 

Case 1: Both husband and wife are holding Director position in private firms, each earning >$10K easily, yet they bought a 3 room resale HDB at Woodlands and stay there with their only son + maid. They invested heavily in shares and funds using their "spare cash". 

Case 2: One of my long time friend, a Marketing Program Director working in a MNC earning a 5 figure salary, even paid his brother in full cash, to buy a BTO 2 room flat for own stay (his brother is working overseas all the while). He then invested his fund in private properties and the amount he made over the past 15 years is enough for him to get a brand new 4 bedder at Tanjong Rhu with full cash.

Case 3: Son of my former neighbor, both husband and wife earn about $14 -  15K in combination, stay in 3 room HDB (resale) when they first got married, with the plan to save up for starting their own company (which they did after 3 -  4 years). FYI, they paid well above market value for the resale flat as they have the financial ability to do so.

So it is not necessary that high income earners would go for bigger flat or EC with the rule change. I agree with others that we are just increasing the demands (and worst, subsidizing their purchases with our tax money) , which might in turn lead to further price escalation, if supply and demand are not managed properly.

1. Peer pressure - people are "wired" to can't wait to show success by the ONLY yardstick society is familiar with ..... Money and Material Things (eg diamond encrusted coffin).

2. Today many don't believe in killing themselves to protect their future or because they don't believe they can work hard to live like T2 and play on have-nots trying to haolian.

3. Some go to the extreme and live life at or below the poverty line but can live like Enye with $700K because they are mentally wired to accumulate wealth.

I don't believe there is a right or wrong because it depends on what you believe and what you can live with but at the end you have to answer to yourself

I believe some here are more than high net worth individuals while a few may be living from hand to mouth.

At the of the day, a. the grass is always greener the other side; b. your decision affect your future with consequences sometimes with vengeance; c. life is NEVER Fair; d. Be grateful for what you have; e. it doesn't matter - as long as if you should die today you can say I have no regrets

PS: I wondered 7th months over but why some or at least one more is still around. Recently the AWOL fellow send me whispers. Basket.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

I always accept that we are living in an imperfect world, there is no need to be perfect as that is totally impossible. So long as most of the things are working, I am ok with it.

An example is every Sunday when I enter HDB carparks that are free parking, I always feel frustrated that the gantry still operate even though it is not collecting money. Why not just let it be in upright position throughout the whole day to conserve some energy and reduce mechanical tear and wear? But I can accept this imperfection so I will not cast my vote to oppo party of my town just to voice my displeasure. If I really cannot tahan, I will write in to my town council. Maybe it will happen one of these days as it really make no sense haha.

They can't let the gantry be in upright position cos otherwise, some who have parked overnight or worse still over a few days will then leave for free without paying. So it's down for a reason.

• Praise 9

8 minutes ago, Spring said:

They can't let the gantry be in upright position cos otherwise, some who have parked overnight or worse still over a few days will then leave for free without paying. So it's down for a reason.

The carparks near my house have those small humps before the gantry that slows down the car considerably to capture the IU when entering and exiting, so that should do the job of charging the cars when leaving the carpark. Tweak the system that any unpaid charges will be recorded in the system, or log in the IU, such that when the car enters another carpark, it will be deducted immediately or gantry lowered to prevent the car from leaving the carpark till the charges are paid.

Just need to pay once for tweaking the algo which should not be expensive and it can be applied to al public carparks, why not? We are going towards being a smart nation, what is this that cannot be solved? 

i guess the car park gantry issue is consider minor as compared to not generating enough quality job for local. 

How many of those jobs that is being offered to foreigner now ,are truly jobs that Singaporean does not want ? or jobs that Singaporean are not qualify? 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

Life without the whites in charge sure die.. the entire island to will sink. Typical kiasu kiasi sinkie mentality.

Many say D Trump cannot make it though... 

https://countryeconomy.com/gdp/usa

Oh my word!

D Trump should be paid in Trillion!🤭

The GDP improvement has more or less due to current economy cycles and more with past policies from previous administration. Can you name any policy from Trump that has helped the US economy?

If you have followed development there closely, you will come to this conclusion that Trump is a complete idiot when it comes to governing the country! His current trade war with China is another glaring example. He thought he could force China to pay the tariffs by acting tough, now end up China imports from other countries and US farmers becoming the biggest losers. And he bailed the farmers out this year by paying them billions thinking can get them from the tariffs collected but as not happening, so the country is further in debt of the billions. He cannot be giving the farmers billions next year as US people will sure wise up to this smart guy who is really dump and vengeful. Look at his petty and ignorant behavior this past week.

Would you be ashamed to have this as your Prime minister? I am sure USA will be brought to its knees if it is to have Trump for another term.

10 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

i guess the car park gantry issue is consider minor as compared to not generating enough quality job for local. 

How many of those jobs that is being offered to foreigner now ,are truly jobs that Singaporean does not want ? or jobs that Singaporean are not qualify? 

I have stated before that I am not the government. If you have burning issues that keep you awake at night, why not approach the correct entity to post your questions? You can send the questions by emails or approach your town council to seek for appointment with the MP to have face-to-face chat. I do not believe in voting for opposition just because you are not happy with the current policy, as there is no guarantee that who you voted in will be able to do a better job. Why not try to channel the energy to right the 'wrongs' properly.

There is never ending to changing government if you are just looking for a perfect party that can make a prefect government that only make perfect policies. Agree? Put in effort to participate if you are really righteous to right the 'wrongs', and not just easy way out to vote for the oppo and hope for a miracle to happen. Has anything significant improved since WP took over Aljunied GRC?

36 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I have stated before that I am not the government. If you have burning issues that keep you awake at night, why not approach the correct entity to post your questions? You can send the questions by emails or approach your town council to seek for appointment with the MP to have face-to-face chat. I do not believe in voting for opposition just because you are not happy with the current policy, as there is no guarantee that who you voted in will be able to do a better job. Why not try to channel the energy to right the 'wrongs' properly.

There is never ending to changing government if you are just looking for a perfect party that can make a prefect government that only make perfect policies. Agree? Put in effort to participate if you are really righteous to right the 'wrongs', and not just easy way out to vote for the oppo and hope for a miracle to happen. Has anything significant improved since WP took over Aljunied GRC?

oh, i thought since you brought up issue of imperfection, i also just voice out my concern. 

Sure, i know you are not the government, let's just agree to disagree on our political view point or action each should be working on. 

• Praise 6

Just now, Heartlander said:

The GDP improvement has more or less due to current economy cycles and more with past policies from previous administration. Can you name any policy from Trump that has helped the US economy?

If you have followed development there closely, you will come to this conclusion that Trump is a complete idiot when it comes to governing the country! His current trade war with China is another glaring example. He thought he could force China to pay the tariffs by acting tough, now end up China imports from other countries and US farmers becoming the biggest losers. And he bailed the farmers out this year by paying them billions thinking can get them from the tariffs collected but as not happening, so the country is further in debt of the billions. He cannot be giving the farmers billions next year as US people will sure wise up to this smart guy who is really dump and vengeful. Look at his petty and ignorant behavior this past week.

Would you be ashamed to have this as your Prime minister? I am sure USA will be brought to its knees if it is to have Trump for another term.

So what does $ingapore's 0-1% GDP tells us?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapore-slashes-2019-gdp-growth-forecast-after-sharp-q2-contraction

We have a very competent government?! 

I'm not saying they are incompetent, at least they made us top the chart for not 1 or 2 but 5 consecutive years! 

https://www.businessinsider.sg/most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-2019-1/

An achievement even our very competent late founding father didn't come close!

Its really a new milestone achieved! 👍👍

With them, I'm pretty sure we have many more 'good' years to come!

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 8

Ask again, why is Singapore so expensive? 

And yet, why do people still want to come in?

Cheaper, surrounding us, there are dozens of options.

Expensive, but few really want to leave even if they could. Why?

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

So what does $ingapore's 0-1% GDP tells us?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapore-slashes-2019-gdp-growth-forecast-after-sharp-q2-contraction

We have a very competent government?! 

I'm not saying they are incompetent, at least they made us top the chart for not 1 or 2 but 5 consecutive years! 

https://www.businessinsider.sg/most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-2019-1/

An achievement even our very competent late founding father didn't come close!

Its really a new milestone achieved! 👍👍

With them, I'm pretty sure we have many more 'good' years to come!

I would not want to read too much into this GDP thingy. There are many external factors that we cannot control, always be mindful that we are just a small country so we cannot control how the world goes but do try to do what seems right and keep our fingers crossed that nothing bad will change the course. The ongoing trade war is sure to cause damage so can expect it to go worse.

I would not be too unhappy if we are not that worse off compare to the countries around us.