GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

On 9/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Heartlander said:

Those who have gone through local university, I believe you should have some experience with the foreign students. Frankly they are just on another level altogether as they are so much smarter. They might not be so good in English or communicating, but everything else they beat us locals flat. So this new realization is not something that should make us cry foul because sub-standard students have been admitted into our uni system.

I understand and accept that the English paper for entrance exam should be set lower as most of these foreign students do not read English like us here. But we must look at the overall objective of bringing them here, which is to either boost our standard here or recruiting talent. If we are to set the entrance exam too difficult, which is in English, knowing the language barrier which is not the knowledge barrier, then we are shooting our feet in trying to meet the objectives. The reason for using O level papers might be because they want to make sure the applicants can understand the questions in English. 

I must say I have benefitted from the increased competition from these foreign students, as some had been quite helpful if we are to approach them. They did not seem to study much but always could grasp the concepts very quickly. So this notion of inferior students being admitted is abit absurd.

Anyway I thought this should be common sense? Many things  we do not want to think but we like to talk haha.

More importantly, shall we not try to politicise this issue?

I've encountered foreigners in local U. Some are really good like you suggest.

But there are also some that are absolute shit (and they are on scholarship).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

More Singaporeans going abroad, but are no less Singaporean for it
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/commentary-more-singaporeans-going-abroad-but-are-no-less-9134122

Nearly 1 in 5 young Singaporeans want to emigrate: survey

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/nearly-1-5-young-singaporeans-want-emigrate-survey-090830259.html

• Praise 7

3 hours ago, Showster said:

Ask again, why is Singapore so expensive? 

And yet, why do people still want to come in?

Cheaper, surrounding us, there are dozens of options.

Expensive, but few really want to leave even if they could. Why?

To suck the living daylights out of us until dry?

To take advantage of the exchange rates like 1 change to 3 etc? I know a few friends from across who come in to earn as much as they could then quietly disappear to retire or to start small comfortable business and stay in GCBs back in their homeland.....most are not here to sing Majulah Singapura with us for the long haul...merely to exploit the temporary $$$ benefits...then...bye bye...

Search your inner feelings...use the force..and you know this is the truth...

Edited by Kyrios
  • Praise 5

2 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/commentary-more-singaporeans-going-abroad-but-are-no-less-9134122

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/nearly-1-5-young-singaporeans-want-emigrate-survey-090830259.html

can imagine the mental gymnastics they need to go through to make sure nothing bad is said by the respondents...

2 hours ago, Kyrios said:

To suck the living daylights out of us until dry?

To take advantage of the exchange rates like 1 change to 3 etc? I know a few friends from across who come in to earn as much as they could then quietly disappear to retire or to start small comfortable business and stay in GCBs back in their homeland.....most are not here to sing Majulah Singapura with us for the long haul...merely to exploit the temporary $$$ benefits...then...bye bye...

Search your inner feelings...use the force..and you know this is the truth...

Our education syllabus is so tough, all of us are struggling in our studies whereas "they" obtain their education from their home and come here   Pity our kids.

Saddest one is the compulsory NS for our boys whereas for them is optional. 😢

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 9

17 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

Survey target is 19-30 years old.

I remember that once upon a time, I also wanted to emigrate.

But once you have kids, and understand better how the whole mechanism works, there is no other place I want to be.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Showster said:

Survey target is 19-30 years old.

I remember that once upon a time, I also wanted to emigrate.

But once you have kids, and understand better how the whole mechanism works, there is no other place I want to be.

20% of sinkies wanna emigrate! I'm married with kid and yes i would certainly wanna live in my choice country if not for my aged parents who refuses to leave SG with me.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

spore is like any major cities such as new york, london, tokyo, seoul, etc

you want to cheong there but you never want to retire there

gotta take 170 to JB to cuci teeth liao ... [sweatdrop]

2019-09-13_113849.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

spore is like any major cities such as new york, london, tokyo, seoul, etc

you want to cheong there but you never want to retire there

gotta take 170 to JB to cuci teeth liao ... [sweatdrop]

2019-09-13_113849.jpg

$ingapore got retirement one meh? I 1st time hear le. Must b fake news🤭 

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 6

1 hour ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

$ingapore got retirement one meh? I 1st time hear le. Must b fake news🤭 

Must work until you die cos the retirement age keeps increasing and not enough CPF payout.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Fu11thr0tt1e said:

20% of sinkies wanna emigrate! I'm married with kid and yes i would certainly wanna live in my choice country if not for my aged parents who refuses to leave SG with me.

Wise parents.

• Praise 2

Lets go for the simple things. A clean environment that the on the ground MP can do something about.

Obviously, its akin to the PMD issue, dont bother about the peons. Vastly different party from days of yore father and mother.

Its pretty obvious when you take the elevator and you see dirty stuff hanging between floors for the five years before the election.

The volunteers/3 legs ....

The foreign worker quarters are a third world hovel...those town council cleaning workers. WHO would serve warrant of arrest for neglect.

Dirty carparks for so many years that suddenly get washed five times in as many months this year.

I tell you. The least of us is the weakest link and party standard.

Its not about accepting donations from dodgy businessmen but to show face via posters. Rather than old school guy who still walked around on 'four' legs. I still remember him fondly. The teochew guy is no standard next to him man.

I like the guy with the camera. 

• Praise 2

On 9/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, Hoseyboh said:

She took almost 3 years to realise her 'mistake'! 🙄

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ministers-rejoinder-to-no-flat-no-child-belief

• Praise 4

30 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Wrong.... It takes looming GE for her to realize her "mistakes" .....just like the rest of her brethrens in white. 

Preparing artificial tears nao..... 

Just announced child care centres going to up price.. maybe she actually saved some people ..🙄

There are problems, deep rooted problems in our current system. Either this is changed or we are doom like HK. However, riot will not help us. Hope the Lee family can share more during the coming election. Nothing beats from the horses mouths.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1