GE2020: Singapore General Election - 10 July 2020

Picnic06-Biante15

44 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

I actually wondered why they highlighted the case.

To be honest... I am in favour of taking a heavier approach to hoarders.. they are public fire and health hazards. 

So I tot the article was praising ahtc 😂😂😂

Edited by Playtime
Add
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

I will remember you, went give out goodies 

you want packet of chicken rice or bryani

Just a wefie photo with the honorable General Chan is more than I can ask for.😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

might as well just say bar them from election...

this is disgusting

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/national-development-minister-lawrence-wong-orders-ahtc-to-limit-powers-of-two-wp-mps-in

SINGAPORE - Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong has issued an order requiring Aljunied Hougang Town Council to restrict the powers of Workers' Party MPs Sylvia Lim and Low Thia Khiang in making certain financial decisions at the town council.
The Ministry of National Development (MND) said in a statement on Friday (Dec 3) that this was to guard against a repeat of the financial irregularities at the town council which were caused by the duo. As elected MPs of Aljunied GRC, they also serve as town councillors in AHTC.
The order under section 43D(2)(b) of the Town Councils Act mandates that they shall not have authority to:

- unilaterally incur or approve expenditure on behalf of AHTC
- unilaterally accept or waive any quotation or tender for any stores, services or works on behalf of AHTC
- serve as cheque signatories for AHTC

MND added that this does not affect the other functions and duties of Ms Lim and Mr Low at AHTC and they can continue to discharge their duties as elected members of the town council, including taking part in discussions and voting as part of committees.

The Straits Times has contacted WP for comments.
The order comes after Parliament voted in favour of a motion in November calling on Ms Lim and Mr Low to recuse themselves from all financial matters at AHTC.
This followed a High Court verdict in October which found the two WP MPs had breached their fiduciary duties and also acted dishonestly in hiring a managing agent without calling a tender. The two are challenging the High Court's decision.

Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat, who introduced the motion in November, had said the opposition must hold itself to the same standards that it rightly applies to the Government.
In response, Ms Lim said Mr Heng's motion was "premature", disclosing that she and her fellow WP MPs planned to file an appeal against the judgement.
AHTC later discussed the issue of recusal at its quarterly meeting and voted 17 to 1 against it.
The MND, which oversees town councils, then asked AHTC to explain its decision and also asked if it intended to implement other interim measures or safeguards. AHTC responded on Dec 13.
In its statement on Friday, MND said it had carefully considered AHTC's letter.
"We note that the reasons provided by AHTC for not requiring Ms Lim and Mr Low to recuse themselves from all of AHTC's financial matters do not relate directly to, and more importantly, do not detract from the grave and serious Court findings on Ms Lim's and Mr Low's conduct," added the ministry.
"Further, while we note the measures that AHTC has put in place, it is not apparent - and AHTC has not demonstrated - how they would be effective to guard against a recurrence of irregularities arising from the acts of dishonest Town Councillors."
The ministry said that it would review the order after the Court of Appeal hears and decides on the appeal against the High Court judgement.
Besides Ms Lim and Mr Low, WP chief Pritam Singh and five other parties were also held accountable for improper payments made by AHTC in the civil case brought against them by the town council, which was seeking damages over a sum of $33.7 million.
High Court Judge Kannan Ramesh said in a judgment released on Oct 11 that Ms Lim and Mr Low had breached their fiduciary duty towards the town council, while Mr Singh, Mr Kenneth Foo and Mr David Chua Zhi Hon had breached their duties of skill and care.
The case centred on their role in awarding contracts to FM Solutions and Services (FMSS) and FM Solutions and Integrated Services (FMSI) without calling for tenders.
Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council had also sued to recover its share of losses incurred when Punggol East constituency was run by AHTC from 2013 to 2015.
Almost all parties are appealing against the judgment, save for AHTC.

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 2
  • Angry 1

55 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Oh, AHTC , so cannot “ it’s a honest mistake, let’s move on “

Oh they moved on from AIM and the special scorched earth ops to take down the TC... is just the definition of "honesty mistake" not clear 🙄

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, RH1667 said:

Oh, AHTC , so cannot “ it’s a honest mistake, let’s move on “

When TC lost millions in lehman brother investment, that is honest mistake. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Playtime said:

might as well just say bar them from election...

this is disgusting

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/national-development-minister-lawrence-wong-orders-ahtc-to-limit-powers-of-two-wp-mps-in

SINGAPORE - Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong has issued an order requiring Aljunied Hougang Town Council to restrict the powers of Workers' Party MPs Sylvia Lim and Low Thia Khiang in making certain financial decisions at the town council.
The Ministry of National Development (MND) said in a statement on Friday (Dec 3) that this was to guard against a repeat of the financial irregularities at the town council which were caused by the duo. As elected MPs of Aljunied GRC, they also serve as town councillors in AHTC.
The order under section 43D(2)(b) of the Town Councils Act mandates that they shall not have authority to:

- unilaterally incur or approve expenditure on behalf of AHTC
- unilaterally accept or waive any quotation or tender for any stores, services or works on behalf of AHTC
- serve as cheque signatories for AHTC

MND added that this does not affect the other functions and duties of Ms Lim and Mr Low at AHTC and they can continue to discharge their duties as elected members of the town council, including taking part in discussions and voting as part of committees.

The Straits Times has contacted WP for comments.
The order comes after Parliament voted in favour of a motion in November calling on Ms Lim and Mr Low to recuse themselves from all financial matters at AHTC.
This followed a High Court verdict in October which found the two WP MPs had breached their fiduciary duties and also acted dishonestly in hiring a managing agent without calling a tender. The two are challenging the High Court's decision.

Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat, who introduced the motion in November, had said the opposition must hold itself to the same standards that it rightly applies to the Government.
In response, Ms Lim said Mr Heng's motion was "premature", disclosing that she and her fellow WP MPs planned to file an appeal against the judgement.
AHTC later discussed the issue of recusal at its quarterly meeting and voted 17 to 1 against it.
The MND, which oversees town councils, then asked AHTC to explain its decision and also asked if it intended to implement other interim measures or safeguards. AHTC responded on Dec 13.
In its statement on Friday, MND said it had carefully considered AHTC's letter.
"We note that the reasons provided by AHTC for not requiring Ms Lim and Mr Low to recuse themselves from all of AHTC's financial matters do not relate directly to, and more importantly, do not detract from the grave and serious Court findings on Ms Lim's and Mr Low's conduct," added the ministry.
"Further, while we note the measures that AHTC has put in place, it is not apparent - and AHTC has not demonstrated - how they would be effective to guard against a recurrence of irregularities arising from the acts of dishonest Town Councillors."
The ministry said that it would review the order after the Court of Appeal hears and decides on the appeal against the High Court judgement.
Besides Ms Lim and Mr Low, WP chief Pritam Singh and five other parties were also held accountable for improper payments made by AHTC in the civil case brought against them by the town council, which was seeking damages over a sum of $33.7 million.
High Court Judge Kannan Ramesh said in a judgment released on Oct 11 that Ms Lim and Mr Low had breached their fiduciary duty towards the town council, while Mr Singh, Mr Kenneth Foo and Mr David Chua Zhi Hon had breached their duties of skill and care.
The case centred on their role in awarding contracts to FM Solutions and Services (FMSS) and FM Solutions and Integrated Services (FMSI) without calling for tenders.
Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council had also sued to recover its share of losses incurred when Punggol East constituency was run by AHTC from 2013 to 2015.
Almost all parties are appealing against the judgment, save for AHTC.

if there is any criminal element as suggested by parliament and Ministry, then why not charge them. What is the police doing?

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Pappy better shut the freaking up

More they speak the more despicable they would look

Actually I hope they continue, the more they try to make WP look bad, the more it will backfire on them. Who knows, some case/ event / incidents waiting to be uncovered 😁

• Praise 2

81802809_10159824610268849_4515434749057040384_o.jpg

Saw this.

Actually I think both are important,  correct and looking at different angle. 

To pofma is plain manipulation. 

Edited by Playtime
  • Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/4g-leadership-will-build-future-of-hope-and-progress-dpm-heng

4G leadership will build future of hope and progress for Singaporeans: DPM Heng Swee Keat

SINGAPORE - Amid challenges such as inequality, economic disruption and a growing generational divide, the fourth-generation leadership will "make every effort to build a future of progress" for Singaporeans, said Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat on Monday (Jan 20).

Painting a vision of how he - who is expected to take the helm as Singapore's next leader in the coming years - and his colleagues intend to lead the country, Mr Heng spoke of his team's "unwavering commitment" to build a future where all Singaporeans have the opportunities to succeed, where no one will be left behind if they give their best, and where everyone will pull together as one.

He also hinted that plans are afoot to give more help to lower- and middle-income Singaporeans.

"We are now studying how we can better help lower- and lower-middle income Singaporeans, including current and future seniors, to meet their retirement needs in a sustainable way," said Mr Heng, who is also Finance Minister. "I will provide more details in the coming Budget."

In his keynote speech at the Institute of Policy Studies' annual Singapore Perspectives Conference, Mr Heng extended an invitation to "all Singaporeans to work with us, and with each other" to tackle the challenges facing the nation.

"My 4G colleagues and I are committed to go beyond just working for you, to working with you, to build our future Singapore," he said.

Just as the founding political leaders fostered a sense of nationhood by introducing policies such as home ownership that gave the people a stake in Singapore, Mr Heng said the "Singapore Together" movement launched last year "will be our new cornerstone of nation building".

New platforms like the Citizens' Panel and Citizens' Workgroup have already engaged Singaporeans on their ideas about making different aspects of life better, such as ways to improve work-life harmony and encourage household recycling, said Mr Heng.

Singaporeans are also being involved in the development of Singapore's landscape such as the Somerset Belt, the Geylang Serai cultural precinct and its parks.

"What we see forming is a new model of partnership, between Government and Singaporeans in owning, shaping and acting on our future," Mr Heng told an audience of students, academics and policymakers on Monday.

"In this process, government agencies are learning to develop and deliver policy solutions in a more collaborative manner."

This collaborative approach is Singapore’s way forward in a world marked by differences and uncertainty, he said.

He noted that many countries have seen their political consensus fracture over the past decade, brought about by changes such as technological disruption, growing inequality and rapidly ageing populations.

Many people have become anxious and resentful, and come to view their governments and institutions with distrust.

While Singapore has fared better than most, it is not immune to the same divisive forces that have washed over many societies, he said.

In fact, there are already some semblances of nativist tendencies here, such as some of the public discourse around foreigners, he added.

“If we do not act decisively, and if we allow these forces to creep up on us, our hopes and concerns can be exploited to create fear and anger,” he cautioned.

“Our diversity can be turned against us. Our unity can fray, and our society can wither.” 

Mr Heng stressed the importance of making sure differences do not become entrenched, and cautioned against the dangers of political parties using divisive rhetoric to gain support in a fractured landscape.

Amid these disruptive forces, strong sense of unity is key to keep Singapore successful, he said.

“Our improbable success was made possible by exceptional governance – capable leaders, working together with a united people.”

He pointed to how the Republic’s founding fathers introduced policies that gave people a stake in the country, and built trust between people and the Government.

Singaporeans trusted their leaders because they saw their lives improve in real ways and had a strong sense of optimism about the future, he said. This gave them confidence to make sacrifices for the greater good and for future generations.

“This is the formula behind our success, and this has kept Singapore exceptional,” he said. “This approach must remain core to the Government’s mission, especially as we grapple with longer-term issues facing us.” 

But in a society that is increasingly flooded by information and misinformation, it is critical to find ways to deepen understanding and relationships among people, he noted.

“We must reject extremist views that will fray our social fabric, and be discerning about falsehoods and irresponsible promises that cannot be fulfilled.

“Most importantly, we must find new ways to come together, reaffirm what we hold in common, and work collectively towards a shared future.”

That is why he launched the Singapore Together movement last year, Mr Heng added. 

As a small nation buffeted by such forces, Singapore needs to work with like-minded nations, while maintaining its unity as a people and cohesion as a nation, he said.

Having bigger role in shaping policy will also help Singaporeans gain a deeper appreciation of the challenges and trade-offs involved, understand different viewpoints, distinguish truth from falsehoods and find a way forward amid diverse and often-conflicting opinions, he noted.

At the same time, the Government will continue to exercise leadership in areas it is expected to, such as in security and defence to ensure Singapore plans and acts for the long term, said Mr Heng.

"I am confident that our partnership efforts to date will set the foundations for the work of a generation," he said.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

Guess both will never join politic ...🤔

Shengwu Li
17 mins
The AGC has made a new press release that contains more allegations against me. These are, as usual, false and spurious.

The AGC demands that I give them the identities of my Facebook friends. My position is this: Who my friends are is none of their business. My friends have a moral right to privacy.

Since I'm declining to engage further in these court proceedings, I will not dignify the AGC's allegations with a detailed response.

To my friends and family at home in Singapore: I miss you, and I hope that we can meet under happier circumstances.

at9gjszn4jc41.png

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I wonder if erection will be delayed to later this year. Or will it be held in May still, since virus sexperts say the outbreak will be less jialat by then.

30 minutes ago, QSZA said:

I wonder if erection will be delayed to later this year. Or will it be held in May still, since virus sexperts say the outbreak will be less jialat by then.

I guess should be delay, dont think GE will go ahead despite the virus situation is not stable?!

↡ Advertisement