Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

3 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Born in Thailand to a British father and a Thai mother.  Moved to SG at age 5,  became citizen 4 yrs later at age 9. 

From age 9 to 15, make use of his SG citizenship to get subsidies education in local school.  Enrolled into sports school as a citizen paying citizen rate.  Move to UK before completing his DSA obligations in DSA admission to sports schools. 

Called up to represent SG but not filled. 

Refuse to serve NS. 

So how local is Ben Davis?  Besides making used of SG to give him subsidies education and football training by means of a citizenship,  isn't he just another imported FT given citizenship? 

At least those imported FT players given citizenship did their part for SG.  Ben Davis? 

It's quite common for gov to even things out, you became citizen with an agenda. You will have to pay for it in some way. Serve NS to offset what you have gain as a citizen,  fair enough? 

Here we have an imported FT,  making use of SG as a stepping board,  enjoying benefits of local born citizens,  but not willing to perform duty of a local citizen. 

And now he is saying he had not feeling and no attachment to SG.  Well we cannot fault him for saying so,  because SG was always only being made use of as a stepping borad and a bridge . 

And we have locals cheering for him.  Can someone explain to me why? 

Are we really so happy to be made suckers? And cheer for ppl who make us look like suckers? 

Ben Davis a local football talent?  Really? Seriously? 

It's not his fault when he was 9 years old.  What does a 9 year old or 15 year old kid know about citizenship and the obligation?  He just follow whatever his parents says.

It's his parents who did all the planning.  Shld blame on them for their hidden agenda. 

Like all FTs (even those got PR and SG citizenship), they all using Singapore as a stepping board.  When they see something better in another place, they will go.  it's a open secret. 

We are made to look like fools. 

if he ever get arrested, he got his parents to blame on. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I put out this hypothetical scenario:

Let's say we force this guy with multiple nationalities to serve. He's unhappy and has a lot of resentment for Singapore because it basically ruined and curtailed his career.

In times of actual war, do you think he will truly, genuinely with his heart fight for this country?

On the flip side, if we as a country wholeheartedly support him, enable him to be successful in pursuing his career. When in times of crisis he will be more than likely to want to defend the country that has backed him and helped him get to where he is.

This kind of things is more psychological than anything. We need to see past more than just physical might.

Just now, Benarsenal said:

Let's say we force this guy with multiple nationalities to serve. He's unhappy and has a lot of resentment for Singapore because it basically ruined and curtailed his career.

In times of actual war, do you think he will truly, genuinely with his heart fight for this country?

On the flip side, if we as a country wholeheartedly support him, enable him to be successful in pursuing his career. When in times of crisis he will be more than likely to want to defend the country that has backed him and helped him get to where he is.

This kind of things is more psychological than anything. We need to see past more than just physical might.

actually you are quite right.

let's get realistic here. 

A person with dual or multiple citizenship, will he actually turn up to report for war in army camp, when the mob activate?  The answer is clearly NO. 

With dual or multiple citizenships, he's the first one to catch the plane to his next country.   

Another scenario is he's already residing in another country when the mob activate, will he actually bother to fly back to report to army camp?  The answer is NO

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Benarsenal said:

Whether they know or don't know, I don't think it's fair to tie down someone who has no intention of being loyal.

They've clearly believed that being Singaporean is detrimental to his football career (which it is). So let them go la. We have no rights to claim him now.

I also have no loyalty to SG and I'm also sure many other singaporeans will be jumping ship if we do get into a war.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

I just think that the bigger picture is, Singapore needs to learn to be bit more flexible on these matters, in today's world.

Yes defence is important. But we already have a dwindling population with many people choosing not to have kids here. If there's yet another disadvantage to having kids here it's not going to help matters.

Look at other countries with conscription. South Korea offers deferment for big name stars, exemption for those who've gotten great achievements. And NS doesn't always have to mean military service. We can get them to do other things to contribute to nation building too, like serving the community or what not.

Again, there's no point in forcing. Otherwise it will just build up a lot of resentment and will eventually backfire.

i agree that we can consider doing what SK do in terms for deferment but disagree with the doing other things like community part

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

if he is successful in his career... why will he come back and fight 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Galantspeedz said:

i agree that we can consider doing what SK do in terms for deferment but disagree with the doing other things like community part

those sk super pop stars all serve their ns.

even son heung min won SK  an asian gold to be granted expemption.

and its not like mindef totally refuse to grant ben deferment. just that ben refuse to corporate and ask too much.

16 minutes ago, Kusje said:

I also have no loyalty to SG and I'm also sure many other singaporeans will be jumping ship if we do get into a war.

Thank u for yr honesty. 

I know who to avoid in times of troubles or war in my country. 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Galantspeedz said:

if he is successful in his career... why will he come back and fight 

Because the country has supported him. Without the country's support he wouldn't be successful.

It goes two ways.

7 minutes ago, Beregond said:

and its not like mindef totally refuse to grant ben deferment. just that ben refuse to corporate and ask too much.

No, he never got that option.

South Korea are very flexible in granting exemptions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_South_Korea#Exemptions

6 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i guess both also at fault... ben want open cheque.... mindef not happy he went press to air his grievances

if both have sat down and come to a agreement that has a timeline and by xx age, this has not been done, he has to come back for  NS

if the approving officer is EPL or Fulham fan then may help also lol

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Because the country has supported him. Without the country's support he wouldn't be successful.

It goes two ways.

you see here... how many successful people.... how many say they will come back.... do a poll....

• Haha! 1

Just now, Galantspeedz said:

you see here... how many successful people.... how many say they will come back.... do a poll....

I mean, unless it's a two-faced backstabber (which is also possible), I'd like to think most people are grateful if they have truly benefited from support.

For me, Ben Davies never really gained anything from Singapore, so it's OK for me if he feels he don't have to give back.

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Are u from HK?

Cos i recalled someone asked u under HK thread but u neither confirm nor disagree.

If u are, i wonder why u so keen about our NS.

If u are not but a Singaporean, then pls continue to be so keen about our NS. Apologises too.

😂😂 these days, many hidden dirty hands trying to stir shxt. 

Btw i am fine with NS.

Especially in light of HK crisis. No own army to contain rioters. HKPF not enuff manpower.

They want also cannot. That's why Taiwan wants an army.

We should keep NS. Those who dun want just leave. Dun come back pls.

Own courtyard say so much dun want to protect. Expect others to but own son or sons cannot. Why? NS will scare the shxt out of the boys?

Loyalty? Pls lah. Just saying only. No discipline and training where to birth loyalty. Its natural or born already got ah?

The reasons for NS then and now not changed. Cos "friendly" neighbouring countries also no change.

Heck, even the Sultan of Johore has his personal army or many many many bodyguards in his own state. Cos cannot trust own ppl not to be very greedy.

Haiz

Regardless the govt of the day, NS must be a pillar of our society. It is a duty. Not a tikam tikam i like i tick. I dun like i dun tick. Playing masak? War comes u jump ship. War no come u play hero. Better still, say 1 hydrogen bomb come down all die, no need NS.

U think enemy stupid? They want our wealth. Bomb liao where wealth go? 

😂😂😂 thats my tots. 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

I wish Ben all the best.

When an opportunity in a lifetime presents itself to you, you better consider very carefully for your own future.

Definitely, not a 3rd party like mindef should affect your considerations.

• Praise 1

52 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Thank u for yr honesty. 

I know who to avoid in times of troubles or war in my country. 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

You're welcome. And we do appreciate you patriots as well. Someone needs to man the front lines and slow down the enemy advance so we have time to get out.

I hope that when the time comes, everyone can think like you instead of forcing us and having us untrustworthy people embedded in the army. I don't understand why you'd want to give guns to someone whom you can't trust and rely on them to cover you in a gunfight 

• Praise 1

just a thought.

He plays for thailand, fullham or whatever clubs.

So one day, when his team is scheduled to fly into Singapore for a match, he cannot join?  

1 hour ago, Benarsenal said:

No need him to serve in SAF. We can make him serve in Home team also. He can be a fire fighter or paramedic.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2