Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

55 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

I mean, unless it's a two-faced backstabber (which is also possible), I'd like to think most people are grateful if they have truly benefited from support.

For me, Ben Davies never really gained anything from Singapore, so it's OK for me if he feels he don't have to give back.

that's your perspective... but there must be a reason why so many foreigners want our NRIC and passport.....

so i can't agree that he has not benefited from Singapore citizenship 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Let’s hope from this controversy, the relevant ministry will learn and prevent those milkers from tapping into our resources. If only they ever learn and relearn.. nbzzz.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

just a thought.

He plays for thailand, fullham or whatever clubs.

So one day, when his team is scheduled to fly into Singapore for a match, he cannot join?  

Likely... unless his club or country apply in advance.... then may be have chance

this ben davis thingy is only a side show....

i am just wondering if footballers are not given concessions..... why do they even bother to come up with a goal to qualify for world cup.... as the best development years are taken away from footballers.....

don't these agencies discuss things before blowing bubbles?

• Praise 3

Just now, Kusje said:

You're welcome. And we do appreciate you patriots as well. Someone needs to man the front lines and slow down the enemy advance so we have time to get out.

I hope that when the time comes, everyone can think like you instead of forcing us and having us untrustworthy people embedded in the army. I don't understand why you'd want to give guns to someone whom you can't trust and rely on them to cover you in a gunfight 

Because everyone wants to live. If all share the same goal of staying alive, a gun is better than no gun. Only in hands of cowards then dangerous cos can kill own ppl to save own skin.

U are also most welcome. Remember to run very fast. Cos my aim not always good, can hit wrong target too. But rest assured its not intentional or that i was trying to save own skin.

I run away to where? See how countries treat refugees these days. Like dirt and animals. Kept within compounds. Some were emptied mysteriously. All refugees disappeared into thin air 

😂 only 1 life. Good to die with own ppl in own country. Not about being patriotic. Where to run? Money run out? USA? UK? CHINA???? Seek asylum where? Relatives can house u for a season. Their country can dun want u. Human rights?  Haha....

Walau. The thought already make me more determined to stay put and fight. Die also must be worth it. Hero? Zero. Dead liao, nothing else matters.  At least my conscience is clear. 

A personal choice. Your own decision then. Like i said, must have place to run to, money to pave the way and a safe country to welcome u. 

I do not have such a plan or such a place. This little island is my home and all my loved ones are here. But if any of them wants to run, i will not stop them too. Just keep running. 

😂😁 drama. Crossed my mind many times. I cannot run far and fast. Easy decision. Stay put. Maybe confuse the enemy by removing all road signages first. Keep myself useful. 

Yada-ing. I may not live to see a war here ya. Time waits for no one.

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

11 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Because everyone wants to live. If all share the same goal of staying alive, a gun is better than no gun. Only in hands of cowards then dangerous cos can kill own ppl to save own skin.

U are also most welcome. Remember to run very fast. Cos my aim not always good, can hit wrong target too. But rest assured its not intentional or that i was trying to save own skin.

I run away to where? See how countries treat refugees these days. Like dirt and animals. Kept within compounds. Some were emptied mysteriously. All refugees disappeared into thin air 

😂 only 1 life. Good to die with own ppl in own country. Not about being patriotic. Where to run? Money run out? USA? UK? CHINA???? Seek asylum where? Relatives can house u for a season. Their country can dun want u. Human rights?  Haha....

Walau. The thought already make me more determined to stay put and fight. Die also must be worth it. Hero? Zero. Dead liao, nothing else matters.  At least my conscience is clear. 

A personal choice. Your own decision then. Like i said, must have place to run to, money to pave the way and a safe country to welcome u. 

I do not have such a plan or such a place. This little island is my home and all my loved ones are here. But if any of them wants to run, i will not stop them too. Just keep running. 

😂😁 drama. Crossed my mind many times. I cannot run far and fast. Easy decision. Stay put. Maybe confuse the enemy by removing all road signages first. Keep myself useful. 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

Oh. So you are one of those la.

But don't worry, our aim also not very good so if we are compelled to "serve" because of such threats, also cannot promise where the bullets end up. But rest assured it also isn't intentional.

4 minutes ago, Kusje said:

Oh. So you are one of those la.

But don't worry, our aim also not very good so if we are compelled to "serve" because of such threats, also cannot promise where the bullets end up. But rest assured it also isn't intentional.

Yeah, another "cockeyed marksman".

Definitely different with jump ship ppl. 

Anyways, enjoy your stay here. So glad u ready to leave anytime there's real trouble. 

😁😂😂😂 safe ride

Cheers 

• Praise 1

30 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Safe ride 

Cheers 

to be fair, if whole family overseas.... i am not too sure if many will come back....

but if family is here..... much higher possibility of coming to fight

same for those that say won't come back fight.... he/she is assuming flights are operating as per normal or they rich / white enough to secure a place on the plane....

• Praise 4

I suppose we can go on and on about this till the cows come home and we will nvr agree.

I sum it up as follows: First camp likely sports supporters (including myself) who feel a talent has gone down the drain and to us, we don't question a sportsman's loyalty as long as he plays for our club, country, he has our support. We feel age 18 to early 20s are the peak of a sportsman's best years and so NS has disrupted this and the sportsman concerned will have gone backwards and be behind his peers from other countries who don't have conscription to slow them down.

Second camp feels no excuses, NS and our nation's defence takes priority and so every male citizen has to pay his dues and so serve. Sporting ambitions can continue after NS. Nothing wrong with this philosophy but just that priorities are different. 

I don't think we want to go down the road of FT milking us etc cos there are lots of egs both in the Sporting World as well as the non Sporting World of this happening n I think it's not fair to label Ben or anyone else for that matter as "milkers" only who are just after the pot of Gold. Yes, there are some milkers but let's be honest, professional sportsmen make a living out of competitive sports so for them to try maximise their pot of Gold is not wrong per se. Anyway, it's always a case of willing buyer, willing seller so in this case, willing participant, willing recipient. No pointing of guns to anyone's head.  

At end of day, Singapore/MINDEF has made their stand and so has Ben. No hard feelings on both sides. We move on and let's not let this be another FT bashing thread.

• Praise 9

1 hour ago, Spring said:

I suppose we can go on and on about this till the cows come home and we will nvr agree.

I sum it up as follows: First camp likely sports supporters (including myself) who feel a talent has gone down the drain and to us, we don't question a sportsman's loyalty as long as he plays for our club, country, he has our support. We feel age 18 to early 20s are the peak of a sportsman's best years and so NS has disrupted this and the sportsman concerned will have gone backwards and be behind his peers from other countries who don't have conscription to slow them down.

Second camp feels no excuses, NS and our nation's defence takes priority and so every male citizen has to pay his dues and so serve. Sporting ambitions can continue after NS. Nothing wrong with this philosophy but just that priorities are different. 

I don't think we want to go down the road of FT milking us etc cos there are lots of egs both in the Sporting World as well as the non Sporting World of this happening n I think it's not fair to label Ben or anyone else for that matter as "milkers" only who are just after the pot of Gold. Yes, there are some milkers but let's be honest, professional sportsmen make a living out of competitive sports so for them to try maximise their pot of Gold is not wrong per se. Anyway, it's always a case of willing buyer, willing seller so in this case, willing participant, willing recipient. No pointing of guns to anyone's head.  

At end of day, Singapore/MINDEF has made their stand and so has Ben. No hard feelings on both sides. We move on and let's not let this be another FT bashing thread.

Agree.

I still feel there's always room for flexibility in these things, but since MINDEF and this boy have already made their positions clear, let's just move on.

2 hours ago, Galantspeedz said:

i am just wondering if footballers are not given concessions..... why do they even bother to come up with a goal to qualify for world cup.... as the best development years are taken away from footballers.....

Exactly. As long as the position of MINDEF is status quo, we set whatever Goal 3000 also no use. It will never happen.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Galantspeedz said:

Maybe that agency tries to rally public support to pressure the relevant govt agency.

• Praise 1

they are always talking about wanting to be in world cup..blah..blah..blah.

then they do something like this to chase potentials away.

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, Galantspeedz said:

They needs to speak something when comes to meeting with Sport Ministar mar.

If not how to justify their bonuses .... [sly]

So speak for the sake of presenting, can fulfill or not is another thing ... :we-all-gonna-die:   

That's why the target date set in 2034 and by then someone else doing the dirty work not the one opening his mouth cos could have retired ... :wut:

Why can't 2026 or 2030 ?   

• Praise 2

18 hours ago, Spring said:

agree with you on your observation

then we have the following:

1. sacrifice - we got to see the greater priority, if we want our very own boys and girls to excel in sports as a country without "buying (millions of dollars)" sportsman from overseas, then we need to "sacrifice" to allow those with potential to do what they do eg football, swimming. 

2. Deferment for NS includes for some individuals doing local Medicine university course and government scholars. Why deferment for a selected group? You mean a sportsman life is lesser than a scholar? If so why do winning sportsman or sportswoman get photo shoot with politicians and some get to go to parliament to be glorified. Do we see graduating doctors of government scholars having the same treatment.

3. we really don't treat those locals working overseas fairly, many Singaporeans whom I met informs me, their children follow them but when they return to Singapore, they do not enjoy the children concession in public transport including recreation (cinema) because they do not have a local student card but have overseas student card even they got a Singapore passport do not count. Their children have to pay adult fares and adult tickets.

4. Today unless the child is born in that country it is extremely difficult to obtain an overseas passport unlike other nationalities. Officially, it is possible but reality it is different altogether. 

side-track, we have very funny arrangements - LGBT is illegal and punishable by law, but the law is not enforced, hence the existence of LGBT is not recognize by the law as a legal entity but yet a minister recently say they will protect the LGBT, public can be very confused and a LGBT may live in fear.

Currently, my personal take is, yes everybody has obligations, but sometimes we as a community needs to allow a few who are TRULY talented to excel. In our population, have a few or tens individuals deferring their NS obligation (NOT exempted) will NOT affect our NS system. If we are so hard-up for every boy to do NS, then we should not put many  returning overseas boys for NS obligations to mainly civil defense, police etc and apparently some race had been complaining not been given higher and sensitive appointments. Many of them would return to their adopted country after the NS. Their loyal cannot be questioned because they practically live their lives in another country. Basically, it appears wanting to extract the pound of flesh for every being called a Singaporean. 

In Ben's case, we all know his legal obligations but then because Ben is NOT an entity like AIMS or Town Council, there are moral issues to consider too. 

• Praise 4

15 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

2. Deferment for NS includes for some individuals doing local Medicine university course and government scholars. Why deferment for a selected group? You mean a sportsman life is lesser than a scholar? If so why do winning sportsman or sportswoman get photo shoot with politicians and some get to go to parliament to be glorified. Do we see graduating doctors of government scholars having the same treatment.

this is the hardest part, how to treat every 1 fairly. like u say medicine is as important as sport.

then ppl with family problem, they need work to feed family, he say wtf soccer is more important then family?

what about less popular sport that win medal at sea games. like wushu. water polo can imagine all these ppl asking for deferment, and they got better achievement then soccer.

once u open the gate all will swamp in, and u cannot close anymore. i doubt they will make major changes anytime, unless they can cover up for the numbers.

thats why last time i mention we need more regulars 

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this is the hardest part, how to treat every 1 fairly. like u say medicine is as important as sport.

then ppl with family problem, they need work to feed family, he say wtf soccer is more important then family?

what about less popular sport that win medal at sea games. like wushu. water polo can imagine all these ppl asking for deferment, and they got better achievement then soccer.

once u open the gate all will swamp in, and u cannot close anymore. i doubt they will make major changes anytime, unless they can cover up for the numbers.

thats why last time i mention we need more regulars 

that's not his point lar... have to read between the lines..... ben or fairness is the least of his concern 😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

13 minutes ago, Galantspeedz said:

that's not his point lar... have to read between the lines..... ben or fairness is the least of his concern 😂

KNNBCCB PAP is the direct aim hor?  I say for him better....[:p][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2