Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/singapore-ben-davis-signs-professional-deal-fulham-football-10528674

https://mothership.sg/2018/07/ben-davis-singaporean-footballer-fulham/

Singapore's Ben Davis signs professional deal with newly promoted Premier League club Fulham.

SINGAPORE: Singaporean footballer Benjamin Davis has signed the first professional deal of his career with newly promoted Premier League club Fulham FC. 

Benjamin, 17, joined Fulham on a two-year scholarship deal in July last year. 

However, his performances for the Fulham Under-18 side were so impressive that the club decided to hand him a new deal. 

He is the first Singaporean to sign a professional contract with a top-tier English club. 

In an announcement on the club website on Friday (Jul 13), Fulham said that the midfielder "accrued a pass accuracy of over 90 per cent" for the U-18s. 

"I was so happy and then excited. I really didn't expect it as I am still in the first year of my two-year scholarship deal although I did have a good second half of the season," the teenager said of his reaction when he learned that the club was offering him a deal. 

"I will enjoy the achievement and success so far, but now it gives me the motivation, drive and desire to push on to achieve the ultimate goal of playing in the Fulham first team in the Premier League." 

Benjamin said his immediate goals are to establish himself as a regular for the U-18 and U-23 team, and push himself to earn a call-up to train with the senior team. 

The former Singapore Sports School student is also yearning for his first full international cap, having already earned a call-upto the Singapore national team earlier in the year.  

Harvey Davis, Benjamin's father, said that he is "proud" of his son's achievements.

He told Channel NewsAsia: "It's fantastic news for Singapore football ... It shows that Singapore can produce footballers who can play at the highest level in the UK.

"He did very well in the second half of last season which led to him being called up for the U-23s.

"It's amazing for Ben to achieve a pro contract only after 12 months of his scholarship. I'm happy he has achieved this and potentially go on and play in the Premier League," the senior Davis added.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Davis_%28footballer%29?wprov=sfla1

hopefully SG quickly gives him his 1st full cap so that he cannot rep England or Thailand ðð

should he serve NS? what do you guys think?

As much as I think it's very very wasted if a Singaporean dream to be a full time pro soccer player is dashed by NS.

No exemptions should be given.

We think it's wasted cos we love soccer.

But dun forget there are many other short term career out there.

Like music? Other sports? 100 of sports.

What make soccer more deserving then other sports?

U give 1 exemption nia. The floodgate will open.

• Praise 7

Supersonic

As much as I think it's very very wasted if a Singaporean dream to be a full time pro soccer player is dashed by NS.

i guess Ben Davis will not be able to meet the conditions for NS deferment?...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ng-eng-hen-schooling-can-continue-ns-deferment-if-he-continues-to-meet-conditions

Supersonic

Maybe become a UK citizen instead if he still wants to continue his dreams there?

Supersonic

Maybe become a UK citizen instead if he still wants to continue his dreams there?

then SG will lose him.

Supersonic

then SG will lose him.

Hmmm...

If he build up his career and profile there and earn millions signing contracts with clubs, would he still want to stay here? 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

How to serve NS when he has to train to become the first 11 in a renowned international club player?? Even defer can defer how long? Until 30?

Supersonic

How to serve NS when he has to train to become the first 11 in a renowned international club player?? Even defer can defer how long? Until 30?

The career of such club players can span up till the mid 30s if they are still fit enough. Their 20s are the crucial period of their careers. 

Supersonic
quoted from the article, as spoken by Davis senior:

"If Ben is not deferred then the message is clear and simple; that there is no chance or opportunity for team sportsmen to compete on the World stage. What message does this send to our children and young Singaporeans who dream of playing professional football in Europe and the EPL or any other team sport."

quoted from the article, as spoken by Davis senior:

"If Ben is not deferred then the message is clear and simple; that there is no chance or opportunity for team sportsmen to compete on the World stage. What message does this send to our children and young Singaporeans who dream of playing professional football in Europe and the EPL or any other team sport."

They only want to make money by playing in overseas FC, dos it mean S-league still got hope?

He can enlist in NS, gets trained and represent SAFSA for soccer first. Time not wasted.

Get trained by who?

Supersonic

He can enlist in NS, gets trained and represent SAFSA for soccer first. Time not wasted.

its the opportunity cost lo... once he ORD he would be 21-22yo, and EPL clubs may not want him any more.

i suppose it makes the debate harder when the sports concern requires a team of players. one super star can't possibly raise the standard of play unlike a golfer or swimmer

↡ Advertisement