Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

22 hours ago, Kusje said:

Yes of course.

But if he does well, what's the incentive for him to come back? Take photos with hsien loong is not an incentive.

By your definition of no incentive to come back if a sportsmen does well, this could apply to a lot of sportsmen n even artists as well shld they be allowed deferment. Point I’m trying to make is that if the authorities have this mindset then might as well dont allow deferment across the board since there is a flight risk. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

22 hours ago, Lala81 said:

By 2024, there will be 30% less NSF per year.
Deferring, downgrading etc is not going to be as easy as anymore.

It’s true that manpower shortage will be a reality so it would be up to the authorities to prioritise n cut their cloth accordingly. U can’t have your cake n eat it which is what I feel Singapore as a whole tends to do eg U can’t expect to be top in productivity n yet be courteous at the same time as they are often contradictory. 

So u can’t expect to play at WC standards n serve your NS obligations at the peak of your sporting age as it’s contradictory as well. Countries who set sporting goals often have the whole govt machinery behind them but obviously this is not the case here. 

• Praise 7

On 9/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, Spring said:

It’s true that manpower shortage will be a reality so it would be up to the authorities to prioritise n cut their cloth accordingly. U can’t have your cake n eat it which is what I feel Singapore as a whole tends to do eg U can’t expect to be top in productivity n yet be courteous at the same time as they are often contradictory. 

So u can’t expect to play at WC standards n serve your NS obligations at the peak of your sporting age as it’s contradictory as well. Countries who set sporting goals often have the whole govt machinery behind them but obviously this is not the case here. 

I agree. It's stupid that the relevant stakeholders and authorities cannot see that they have contradictory aims and goals. Say so much want to achieve this and that yet never coordinate together.

I think it's clear where Singapore's priorities lie though. They can talk so much about wanting to do this and that in sports, but we know in the end is just lip service. At the end of the day other things take precedence. 

I just feel that we as a country should be just honest with itself and admit it. Not all countries excel in sport, it's fine. But don't come up with bulls**t targets and waste everybody's time when in the end nothing will be properly done to achieve it. If want to do it, then please take it seriously.

• Praise 3

On 9/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Kusje said:

Yes of course.

But if he does well, what's the incentive for him to come back? Take photos with hsien loong is not an incentive.

Come on, don't say you wouldn't want a photo with this charming cheerful cherub of a man? 😂 😂 😂 

lhl-laughing.jpg

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:06 AM, Benarsenal said:

I agree. It's stupid that the relevant stakeholders and authorities cannot see that they have contradictory aims and goals. Say so much want to achieve this and that yet never coordinate together.

I think it's clear where Singapore's priorities lie though. They can talk so much about wanting to do this and that in sports, but we know in the end is just lip service. At the end of the day other things take precedence. 

I just feel that we as a country should be just honest with itself and admit it. Not all countries excel in sport, it's fine. But don't come up with bulls**t targets and waste everybody's time when in the end nothing will be properly done to achieve it. If want to do it, then please take it seriously.

Not just sports, recycling and environment too. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

I'd rather he play for England, but it's OK. Thailand also can. He's far too good for Singapore.

Good luck mate. All the best.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ns-defaulter-ben-davis-named-thailands-provisional-sea-games-football-squad

I hope Thailand and SG are in the same group and Ben Davis scores the winner goal which kicks sigapore out of the tournament

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

I hope Thailand and SG are in the same group and Ben Davis scores the winner goal which kicks sigapore out of the tournament

Wait till his plane breaks down and is forced to land in SG.

If they arrest him, international incident. 

If they do nothing, accusations of being balls-free. 

Personally I'd rather they march onto the plane and seize him.

They don't even need a breakdown just a routine stop or a connecting flight, but I doubt that he'll be stupid enough to consider those options knowing what can happen.

If I were a defaulter I wouldn't travel anywhere near Singapore.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

On 9/28/2019 at 11:47 PM, Turboflat4 said:

They don't even need a breakdown just a routine stop or a connecting flight, but I doubt that he'll be stupid enough to consider those options knowing what can happen.

Has he accepted that offer?

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Davidtch said:

You sound like sour grapes 

Not at all. I mean no sarcasm whatsoever. I really hope he goes out there and shames Singapore for letting a talent like him go.

• Praise 3

53 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Not at all. I mean no sarcasm whatsoever. I really hope he goes out there and shames Singapore for letting a talent like him go.

Frankly, what's there to shame Singapore for?

He's always had the option to change citizenship. 

We wish him well but we are not at his mercy to be proud or ashamed. 

You elevated him too high. Its just football. Not god or saviour to our well being.

So many promising and aspiring Singaporean sportsmen to bring us greater glory. And these are true blue citizens.

We should cherish these and let them excel. Not someone who dangled a pair of boots that's really nowhere anywhere yet. 

No fame especially in sports is forever. Everyone grows old and gets replaced. 

Still, its his personal decision to represent whoever can give him the opportunity to excel in his love for the game. That decision may change if he should decide another country can up the opportunity for him. Who knows what the future holds.

No shame at all. 

He's only 1 NS defaulter. Always be remembered as such. By me.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/footballer-ben-davis-no-plans-return-singapore-thailand-fulham-11995954

Read carefully. Even if he gets deferment from serving NS, he's NOT representing Singapore but England.

How's that for so called impression of playing to represent Singapore. No intention.

Besides he's got NO REGRETS and always felt in his blood he belongs to these 2 countries, England and Thailand.

And he's playing for Thailand because it will make his mother happy.

Period.

What shame to Singapore? Aiyo.

Safe ride

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 7

On 9/28/2019 at 11:47 PM, Turboflat4 said:

potential defaulter (reservist) spotted 

• Praise 1

Born in Thailand to a British father and a Thai mother.  Moved to SG at age 5,  became citizen 4 yrs later at age 9. 

From age 9 to 15, make use of his SG citizenship to get subsidies education in local school.  Enrolled into sports school as a citizen paying citizen rate.  Move to UK before completing his DSA obligations in DSA admission to sports schools. 

Called up to represent SG but not filled. 

Refuse to serve NS. 

So how local is Ben Davis?  Besides making used of SG to give him subsidies education and football training by means of a citizenship,  isn't he just another imported FT given citizenship? 

At least those imported FT players given citizenship did their part for SG.  Ben Davis? 

It's quite common for gov to even things out, you became citizen with an agenda. You will have to pay for it in some way. Serve NS to offset what you have gain as a citizen,  fair enough? 

Here we have an imported FT,  making use of SG as a stepping board,  enjoying benefits of local born citizens,  but not willing to perform duty of a local citizen. 

And now he is saying he had not feeling and no attachment to SG.  Well we cannot fault him for saying so,  because SG was always only being made use of as a stepping borad and a bridge . 

And we have locals cheering for him.  Can someone explain to me why? 

Are we really so happy to be made suckers? And cheer for ppl who make us look like suckers? 

Ben Davis a local football talent?  Really? Seriously? 

• Praise 8

become SC liao can still convert back to Thai citizen?

since default NS, what if ah gong does not release the SC revoke?

just like PRC become SC and ultimate destination is for the kid to become AMDK American or Brit ... [confused]

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement