Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

It's a tough call.

Especially for sportsmen or performing artists cos u can't buy youth/physical ability and the accelerated learning at this young age. 

↡ Advertisement

How come Fandi Ahmad's 3 sons can study overseas, do football and come back do NS w/o kicking up so much fuss ah?

AMDK is it? [laugh]

which european club want to sign them? As far as i know they only keep going on trials

But if u allow more exemptions, then it will become another arms race for parents and son to achieve NS deferment for these particular activities.

• Praise 1

At the same time, since they are not supportive of soccer, they should just cancel the league...waste of money and resources

But if u allow more exemptions, then it will become another arms race for parents and son to achieve NS deferment for these particular activities.

no difference in rat race ba.... singapore want be first in everything so might as well start young...

isn't that the reason why they bring in United Nations 

singapore-lions-pic-from-afp.jpg

This is also part of a reason Why I do not want to do donate $$$ to any SG gov organised events.    [furious]

Kiam Ka Na .... :omg:

Will the whole SAF collapse for just 1 asking for deferment ... :slow:  

Even if 50 of them ask for deferment also won't rock the boat. They are identified with sport talents that would represent & bring names to SG in world stage ......   :we-all-gonna-die:

He is asking for deferment and not exempted from NS. :yuush:

• Praise 1

Supersonic

i rather they arms race on sports/arts than just academic studies...
  • Praise 1

This arms race I support - if parents want to groom the next Fandi, Schooling, Joscelin Yeo, rather than simply buy them in, we can hold our heads high on the world sporting stage.

Its not as though we have 50 young men with Premier League credentials, that one more or one less makes no difference.

One more or one less NSman - yes you can call it a national duty. But don’t cut your nose off to spite the face.

(edited)

i rather they arms race on sports/arts than just academic studies...

Well that being said, NS enrolment will drop about close to 30% starting in i think 2021-2022.

So SAF is already struggling to cope with less manpower meeting operational requirements.

This arms race I support - if parents want to groom the next Fandi, Schooling, Joscelin Yeo, rather than simply buy them in, we can hold our heads high on the world sporting stage.

Its not as though we have 50 young men with Premier League credentials, that one more or one less makes no difference.

One more or one less NSman - yes you can call it a national duty. But don’t cut your nose off to spite the face.

i don't run HR lol.

Edited by Lala81

i agree.

At the same time, since they are not supportive of soccer, they should just cancel the league...waste of money and resources

no difference in rat race ba.... singapore want be first in everything so might as well start young...

(edited)

I guess only those who have proven himself like Joseph Schooling is given special deferment automatically.

schooling got  defer very good already.

i remember got 1 sg kid just got 2nd place in yoyo in some tourament.

and we got a bunch of great E.sports kids around too,

wat about these ppl??

and if talented ppl got benefit.

wat about the less unfortunate . dun they deserve more of these benefit??

we like schooling cos we are expose to him, we know him.

wat about those talent that we dun know, just because they never appear in our papers??

is it bias if they are not given the same treatment??

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

(edited)

He is already 26 year old ? I think in Korea, they are a little more flexible with deferment. I've known many Koreans who serve their NS on in their mid 20's.

So in the SG case, if they allow all Singaporeans a broader range to register for NS, say 17-25 .. more people can go for their overseas stint at the age of 18, and many more can serve their NS after university.

However, majority of NSF could be, by our civil servant standards, 'over-qualified' over their commanders, many of whom would not be graduates. 

I re-entered NS after medical school.

We got NSF LTA for our sorta PC during MOCC.

Even we went OCS, the regular PCs/sect com were slightly younger than us also. Not really a big deal lah.

Similarly the PSC scholars come back at age 24-25 to finish up OCS and their rest of NS liability.

Edited by Lala81

One more or one less NSman - yes you can call it a national duty. But donât cut your nose off to spite the face.

Got entrenched problem you know..

This kind of arms race, poor SES ah seng son who's a world class footballer can expect exemption or deferment.

but high SES ah tan son use to be able to just claim defence scientist.. how to expect him to actually prove himself in the football field, swimming pool, race track etc to claim his once easy exemption? Not fair he will say..

schooling got  defer very good already.

i remember got 1 sg kid just got 2nd place in yoyo in some tourament.

and we got a bunch of great E.sports kids around too,

wat about these ppl??

and if talented ppl got benefit.

wat about the less unfortunate . dun they deserve more of these benefit??

we like schooling cos we are expose to him, we know him.

wat about those talent that we dun know, just because they never appear in our papers??

is it bias if they are not given the same treatment??

I think the issue isn't just about whether Mindef approve the deferment or not. But also the reaction from regular folks who had served NS aka green-eyed monsters. Remeber Meivyn Tan the pianist? Ppl buay song he's just given a fine for defaulting NS. When it comes to arts or music how many Singaporeans know about his career in classical music? They just bash him online.

It shouldn't be a big deal. In fact, more people can make better contributions with their higher qualifications. Usually more mature, less safety issue but could be less "obedient". Remember they will be going to BMT, not MOCC. Imagine a recruit just politely questioning a stupid idea of OC or CSM, usually don't end very pretty.

True. It is true that older NSF are more defiant haha. We were more defiant as well, just that we are smarter about the way we do it  [laugh]

Got entrenched problem you know..

This kind of arms race, poor SES ah seng son who's a world class footballer can expect exemption or deferment.

but high SES ah tan son use to be able to just claim defence scientist.. how to expect him to actually prove himself in the football field, swimming pool, race track etc to claim his once easy exemption? Not fair he will say..

yeah that cb kia got the immortal status of golden unicorn.

Actually altho serving NS is every citizen duties, we seriously lack flexibility here. For cases like this, we can jus ask  him do the 3 months BMT first and complete on the rest in batches. During season and summer breaks come back to do the balance, as long as he complete the cycle, no issue with how long it takes. Jus allow them to complete BMT and return to their sports/arts/studies whatever, can always pay back time later. Our G cannot and will not think out of the box. We in SG only live by the Rules, set by them, blindly follow and strictly enforces. .....policed state.....

singapore-lions-pic-from-afp.jpg

He can serve his NS with the SAF Warriors..

He can share his valuable inputs on how a professional club runs their the club and bring local soccer level to another level n so On...

Really dun know what the hell Mindef is thinking abt.....

Hope there will be some leeway for this case..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1