Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

Supercharged

I somewhat find the korea ns excemptions and defferments for the sportmen better.

We have those studying medical already on deferrement to complete their studies n contributing by becuming medical officers.

Cant we do something at least for this boy.

A simple few yrs defferment only

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

I somewhat find the korea ns excemptions and defferments for the sportmen better.

We have those studying medical already on deferrement to complete their studies n contributing by becuming medical officers.

Cant we do something at least for this boy.

A simple few yrs defferment only

medical studies more important than playing in EPL ok... :XD:

Well that being said, NS enrolment will drop about close to 30% starting in i think 2021-2022.

So SAF is already struggling to cope with less manpower meeting operational requirements.

i don't run HR lol.

30% is quite a big drop... looks like SAF got to streamline their unit deployments and duties... maybe call off NDP [lipsrsealed]

He can serve his NS with the SAF Warriors..

He can share his valuable inputs on how a professional club runs their the club and bring local soccer level to another level n so On...

Really dun know what the hell Mindef is thinking abt.....

Hope there will be some leeway for this case..

serve NS with the warriors? 

you want him give up soccer is it? lol

Supercharged

medical studies more important than playing in EPL ok... :XD:

30% is quite a big drop... looks like SAF got to streamline their unit deployments and duties... maybe call off NDP [lipsrsealed]

They r doing good by allowing them to defer and complete their medical studies. This one is good and theres no debate in stopping this.

So hopefully for special sportsman they can do something better.

Prob defer a few yrs. Let this boy make it good

Supersonic

They r doing good by allowing them to defer and complete their medical studies. This one is good and theres no debate in stopping this.

So hopefully for special sportsman they can do something better.

Prob defer a few yrs. Let this boy make it good

i think in general most of us here are hoping for some sort of exception on SAF part for Ben Davis. its deferment, not total exemption.

serve NS with the warriors?

you want him give up soccer is it? lol

Pls read my post properly..

To serve as an advisor to revamp the current club set-up and hopefully can improve the club’s regional performance..

IMHO, it’s considered as an act of contribution to nation ...

• Praise 1

Pls read my post properly..

To serve as an advisor to revamp the current club set-up and hopefully can improve the club’s regional performance..

IMHO, it’s considered as an act of contribution to nation ...

you mean after deferment or before?

Twincharged

This arms race I support - if parents want to groom the next Fandi, Schooling, Joscelin Yeo, rather than simply buy them in, we can hold our heads high on the world sporting stage.

Its not as though we have 50 young men with Premier League credentials, that one more or one less makes no difference.

One more or one less NSman - yes you can call it a national duty. But don’t cut your nose off to spite the face.

I think it all ends with one criteria : the award must go to Singapore.

if the boy was going to play for SG, I think there should be no problem. in Schooling's case, the medal is labelled under SG. so what if he trains in US ? Results simply matter more than means.

but he is playing for a foreign club, why wud SG govt support it ?

playing the devil's advocate here, he may be born here but actually has no roots here since both his parents are not born here also.

and as many have said, life here in SG is tough ... and chances are that if he can make it in England with football there, he would be better off not coming back here. why come back here and do NS then work a job paying his maybe $3k a month only when he has a chance at the millions like the pro players in other countries ? even if he become a coach here, the pay here will be a fraction of what he could get elsewhere.

furthermore, there is no guarantee that he can help our national (part-time) team even if/when he returns from his stint.

so to "play safe" the govt wants him to repay his debt to the SAF before he leaves the country .... maybe for good.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

but he is playing for a foreign club, why wud SG govt support it ?

playing the devil's advocate here, he may be born here but actually has no roots here since both his parents are not born here also.

Precisely the case I was thinking, with no roots here from either parent, why did he or his parents choose this path? Whatever, now that it is decided, just have to live with the consequences. I mean, that's life.

Anyway it's not the end of the world even if the EPL chance is missed, how many of us also face the same situation of one door of opportunity - could be overseas posting, good job etc. - permanently shut in our face in the early part of our life, but are still doing okay now?

Life has many alternative pathways to success and happiness (ultimately, the most important thing), not just one that die die you must take.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Precisely the case I was thinking, with no roots here from either parent, why did he or his parents choose this path? Whatever, now that it is decided, just have to live with the consequences. I mean, that's life.

Anyway it's not the end of the world even if the EPL chance is missed, how many of us also face the same situation of one door of opportunity - could be overseas posting, good job etc. - permanently shut in our face in the early part of our life, but are still doing okay now?

Life has many alternative pathways to success and happiness (ultimately, the most important thing), not just one that die die you must take.

like some one said ... just awol lor ...If I can get millions in another country which has parts of my roots, why not just stay there ?

Turbocharged

He can enlist in NS, gets trained and represent SAFSA for soccer first. Time not wasted.

Lol. Don't make me laugh. SAFSA is for those chao keng NSFs trying to siam real army training. I know cos many of my guys always attached out to SAFSA.

Meanwhile DPM Tharman praise France's football system in supporting their youngsters to pursue their dreams.

SINGAPORE: Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Monday (Jul 16) congratulated France on winning the World Cup, hailing the country's football system where "every young person is encouraged and supported in developing his or her strengths".

Pointing out that much of the French team grew up in "poor, mainly immigrant neighbourhoods", Mr Tharman said in a post on Facebook that the victory showed what was possible when young people were encouraged to develop their talents.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/france-world-cup-win-football-tharman-10534170

Supercharged
(edited)

the reply from mindef spokesman is that they don't grant deferment to ns enlistees in order for them to pursue their career and development.  so why president scholar and some other scholars can defer?   they are more selfless and do so not for their career development but for the country?  i know most likely the rebuttal from MINDEF will say these scholars are talented and if we don't grant them defer we will suffer a brain drain to other countries.  so scholastic talent is valued high and we are afraid of losing them but sporting talent is valued much lower and if they don't represent national team, they don't deserve any deferment because our system is not so afraid of losing them .

Edited by Acemundo
  • Praise 1

Its because Ben Davis is not a whitehorse.

the reply from mindef spokesman is that they don't grant deferment to ns enlistees in order for them to pursue their career and development.  so why president scholar and some other scholars can defer?   they are more selfless and do so not for their career development but for the country?  i know most likely the rebuttal from MINDEF will say these scholars are talented and if we don't grant them defer we will suffer a brain drain to other countries.  so scholastic talent is valued high and we are afraid of losing them but sporting talent is valued much lower and if they don't represent national team, they don't deserve any deferment.

the reply from mindef spokesman is that they don't grant deferment to ns enlistees in order for them to pursue their career and development. so why president scholar and some other scholars can defer? they are more selfless and do so not for their career development but for the country? i know most likely the rebuttal from MINDEF will say these scholars are talented and if we don't grant them defer we will suffer a brain drain to other countries. so scholastic talent is valued high and we are afraid of losing them but sporting talent is valued much lower and if they don't represent national team, they don't deserve any deferment.

Academic achievement will not affected by age.

But sporting achievements will be affected by age.

At top level sports, there is no room to play catch-up.

Since local sports talent is not appreciated, don’t waste taxpayers dollar to buy foreign talent.

In fact, whatever league should be scrapped and Zero funding should be provided to sports

• Praise 4

(edited)

But if u allow more exemptions, then it will become another arms race for parents and son to achieve NS deferment for these particular activities.

But not many can attain these kinda level of achievement. Will it really become an arms race? Remains to be discovered. But I'm personally supportive of him to get British PR and get out of our sporting sh**ho**. Edited by Buadongdong
↡ Advertisement