COE Bidding – 2nd Round of July 2018

Carbon82

Hypersonic

Sgcarmart.com has included dealer's premium because there is a demand for this piece of information. LTA's website provides Basic Cost of Cars so that the car market is more transparent and prevents profiteering by car dealers.

So even those who do not bother with car dealer's profit margins when buying new cars will also benefit because for some buyers who do not bother, many do. Market forces will adjust prices with cost transparency made available to the market place. This is not economics 101, this is common sense.

You trust such info 100% .... you know AD overhead .... you know SE commission? How you prevent profiteering by car dealers when each brand/model is priced at different margin?

Next car I will buy the car with lowest profit margin by AD ...... not the one I like most.

↡ Advertisement

According to this list:

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/dam/onemotoring/pdf/Car_Cost_Update.pdf

Lowest margin is Mitsubishi Attrage, followed by Suzui Vitara then Honda City V. Previously, Korean brands used to have very low premiums also but not the case anymore nowadays.

There is an inherent problem about referring to this list. The list price by dealers may not be accurate because how they list the price might be different. For e.g.

The Honda civic shows 97,999. That is pretty close to actual price they will sell.

However, for Audi A3 sportback, it shows 139k. The dealer doesn't sell at this. If you go down to showroom the price they sell will be 119k for example. Or the A4 sedan. They were selling at around 160k (with the virtual cockpit) but the list price is almost 185k.

Therefore unless you have the accurate car prices and tabulate, this is just a reference but not indicative.

Agreed 100%.

That's what I observed when I first saw the list a while back.  Use if for reference only. 

Only you can calculate and derive at the margin (with more accuracy) for the cars you've set target on.  All calculations are public knowledge.

There is an inherent problem about referring to this list. The list price by dealers may not be accurate because how they list the price might be different. For e.g.

The Honda civic shows 97,999. That is pretty close to actual price they will sell.

However, for Audi A3 sportback, it shows 139k. The dealer doesn't sell at this. If you go down to showroom the price they sell will be 119k for example. Or the A4 sedan. They were selling at around 160k (with the virtual cockpit) but the list price is almost 185k.

Therefore unless you have the accurate car prices and tabulate, this is just a reference but not indicative.

↡ Advertisement