Mahathir disappointed over second national car

Soya

I would suggest to Madhatter to go for new energy vehicles.  Given Malaysia is in the tropics with plenty of hot sunshine, harness this free energy and put them into heated compressed cylinders to power his new Nasional Kar.

ie his new national cars running on hot air! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

He only want a government OWN brand like Proton used to be, not those private own brand in the country.

You reminded me of UMW, although it's not a Malaysian car brand, it assembles Toyota cars in Malaysia.

Supercharged

the last item in his bucket list  :D

before he........ :a-rip: ?

If one day SG decided to produce a SG national car, I think this lao ma will... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

RecentFocusedArieltoucan-size_restricted

our national car will have a merlion logo ... cool right?

• Praise 1

(edited)

If he is so super keen/patriotic, why not he set up his own company in Malaysia to manufacture car?

No funds? Then go for crowdfunding loh.

What's the point of sulking & grumbling no supporters for this national car scheme... Just Do It!

Edited by Sci10213

a businessman with a bit of sense will not buy in his idea of having another national car program.

1. is a long process to establish a car brand

2. technology is not going to develop overnight and is the accumulation for years

3. does Malaysia has the talents to do the jobs

4. do they have any talented engineer? I think most of them are "near engine"

5. when ppl get richer, car become part of their status, they will go for establish brand

6. where is his major market for his 2nd national car?

the old man just want his last wish to be fulfilled lah, just re-open the old factory and use the proton saga blueprint and manual to make another proton car lah, keep the CAPEX as low as possible cos it is for show only   [laugh]

Supersonic

the old man just want his last wish to be fulfilled lah, just re-open the old factory and use the proton saga blueprint and manual to make another proton car lah, keep the CAPEX as low as possible cos it is for show only [laugh]

To be fair, Proton does have some achievements lah

It existed since 1985

It produced crap cars then

Fast forward to 2018

It still produces crap cars

Consistency is in the company’s DNA

Now, surely that’s gotta count for something....

Supercharged

Creator of 1st multi-$million-losing failure asking pple to support the creation of 2nd one?

Yeah, seems legit...

• Praise 2

(edited)

To be fair, Proton does have some achievements lah

It existed since 1985

It produced crap cars then

Fast forward to 2018

It still produces crap cars

Consistency is in the company’s DNA

Now, surely that’s gotta count for something....

I hate to say this, but even crap is useful if you harness it the right way, which the malaysian was too weak to think about it.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/business/article/2103308/why-malaysias-national-car-499pc-owned-chinese-driving-election

From a Proton Lotus perspective, it could have developed into a Jag XE platform given the right direction and know how.

The problem then is the "don't know how"

Edited by Sdf4786k

I always like to compare Proton with Hyundai. In the 90s, these two makes have same progress and proton had an edge over Hyundai. I then considered Proton a better build car than Hyundai after side by side comparison.

Late 90s, I see that Hyundai is picking up, with new design, improvement in build, though still using engines with Mitsubishi DNA.

Post 90s, things are pretty much a consistent progress and improvement for Hyundai, and their range started expanding.

And till date, Hyundai is one of the biggest and modern manufacturers. Proton? Still stuck with those same range. Still enploying rebadged other makes technic. For over nearly over 30 years, even with their government assistance financially, what break through they have? They are still the same.

Dr M shouldn't be disappointed with their national car project, he should be disappointed with the mindset of the people running Proton. If proton hasn't been sold to Geely, give them another 30 years, they are still the same. In short, it's in the mindset.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

what is with his fetish on having a national car?

ATM for cronies & friends

Supersonic

I always like to compare Proton with Hyundai. In the 90s, these two makes have same progress and proton had an edge over Hyundai. I then considered Proton a better build car than Hyundai after side by side comparison.

Late 90s, I see that Hyundai is picking up, with new design, improvement in build, though still using engines with Mitsubishi DNA.

Post 90s, things are pretty much a consistent progress and improvement for Hyundai, and their range started expanding.

And till date, Hyundai is one of the biggest and modern manufacturers. Proton? Still stuck with those same range. Still enploying rebadged other makes technic. For over nearly over 30 years, even with their government assistance financially, what break through they have? They are still the same.

Dr M shouldn't be disappointed with their national car project, he should be disappointed with the mindset of the people running Proton. If proton hasn't been sold to Geely, give them another 30 years, they are still the same. In short, it's in the mindset.

Probably he needs to find some Ang Mos to head his new company.

I share the same thot as you..

is the mind set of people..

one work hard looking for improvement, another waiting money drop from sky (government)...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1