Laos dam collapse - hundreds dead

Lala81

Turbocharged

building dams are in principle good for them. however, if they are poorly constructed, they will bring more harms than good.

first thing that came to me when reading this report is, who is involved? I am sure many without prior knowledge of this project will link it to china. therefore, i feel report should clearly state who are involved. these people building such infrastructure must be taken to task when they undertake such projects.

• Praise 2

building dams are in principle good for them. however, if they are poorly constructed, they will bring more harms than good.

first thing that came to me when reading this report is, who is involved? I am sure many without prior knowledge of this project will link it to china. therefore, i feel report should clearly state who are involved. these people building such infrastructure must be taken to task when they undertake such projects.

Apart from construction or maintenance issues like structural integrity and or sudden surge in pressure built up , sedimentation ...... it could be mother nature too ..... I don’t know when it was built and what’s the life of a dam ...... everything has its ups and downs
  • Praise 2

The US$1.2 billion dam is part of a project by Vientiane-based Xe Pian Xe Namnoy Power Company, or PNPC, a joint venture formed in 2012 between a Laotian, a Thai and two South Korean companies, according to the project's website

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/hundreds-missing-in-laos-after-hydropower-dam-collapses-10558270

No Chinese this round. 

• Praise 2

Mother Nature gets the flak whenever the authorities did not make use of existing scientific knowledge and methods to do a comprehensive land survey, rainfall and weather prediction models, geological computer simulation of various rainfall situation to see if the auxiliary damn that was used to divert rainwater would hold up. All these cost money. 

In summary, money is always at the root. Not the means or the will. 

Remember our once in 50yr ponding? 

Apart from construction or maintenance issues like structural integrity and or sudden surge in pressure built up , sedimentation ...... it could be mother nature too ..... I don’t know when it was built and what’s the life of a dam ...... everything has its ups and downs

• Praise 3

Mother Nature gets the flak whenever the authorities did not make use of existing scientific knowledge and methods to do a comprehensive land survey, rainfall and weather prediction models, geological computer simulation of various rainfall situation to see if the auxiliary damn that was used to divert rainwater would hold up. All these cost money.

In summary, money is always at the root. Not the means or the will.

Remember our once in 50yr ponding?

Ok so the dam is fairly new still maybe like less than 4-5 years ........ our ponding not so bad after all ..... 50 years

This is what caught my attention

"Laos has been keen to turn itself into "the battery of Southeast Asia" with a series of massive hydropower projects that has sparked opposition in downstream Mekong nations like Vietnam and Cambodia, who fear it will disrupt vital ecosystems, fisheries and their own river systems.

Communist authorities in Laos keep tight control on information and are often opaque about business deals and development projects. The media is state-controlled and the government vigorously pursues dissent or protesters.

The country has around 10 dams in operation, 10 to 20 under construction and dozens more in planning stages.

"Once they cast themselves as the battery of Asia, exporting electricity became one of the major revenue sources, so it's basically selling natural resources such as water," Toshiyuki Doi, Senior Advisor at Mekong Watch, told AFP."

Turbocharged

SAF on the way...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/laos-dam-collapse-flood-disaster-scdf-saf-relief-10564738

SINGAPORE: A Singapore contingent of officers from the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) departed for Laos on Thursday afternoon (Jul 26) to assist with flood relief efforts in Attapeu province.

the team loaded up humanitarian supplies and equipment, including tents, meal rations, bottled water, medical supplies and rubber dinghies for the relief efforts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3