Number OF elderly suicides at all time high

RadX

Supersonic

Personally I know a close knit family - with parents , sons family with kids staying together under one roof in a big bungalow and here is the situation ; wife gets a major stroke at age around 60 and hubby took care of her everything, including toilet /bathing/ feeding and like about 5-7 years down the road ... he just jumped off a high rise HDB flat after visiting his family member staying there ; he was like just touching 70 ; Finance was not an issue and also had friends and community but the trauma of taking care of loved one became a burden so much that he could not take it no more .... the wife passed away a few years later on.... it’s a cruel fate

Could be due to depression, thats why jumped off. Cause the prolong stress from taking care loved one not everyone can take it de.

↡ Advertisement

those low income single old people staying in rented flat usually dun think of suicide, they will live by the day until one day they either die in their sleep at home or outside.

the old jaywalkers at north bridge road near crawford lane dun bother about incoming traffic, they expect you to stop and wait for them to cross, some with walking stick or walking frame. Regular user of that road will slow down and anticipate these old people. But to them even if you run over and kill them, they have nothing to lose. 

The estate there full of these single old folk, one day i was around the bus stop and saw a few old man at void deck, one of them was head up sleeping while the other chatting, actually i am not surprise it is common that the one sleeping was actually pass away half way.

those low income single old people staying in rented flat usually dun think of suicide, they will live by the day until one day they either die in their sleep at home or outside.

the old jaywalkers at north bridge road near crawford lane dun bother about incoming traffic, they expect you to stop and wait for them to cross, some with walking stick or walking frame. Regular user of that road will slow down and anticipate these old people. But to them even if you run over and kill them, they have nothing to lose. 

The estate there full of these single old folk, one day i was around the bus stop and saw a few old man at void deck, one of them was head up sleeping while the other chatting, actually i am not surprise it is common that the one sleeping was actually pass away half way.

yah, in chinatown there should be a lot. These old people got nothing to do, as they've done their part in life, and they have nothing left to focus on or contribute to... it's just sad. They literally are passing the day, and counting down their time.

If there was something i envied my parents when i was growing up, it was that from about 35 yr ago, they had always invited a group of their good friends to their house on National Day for annual get-togethers. It was without fail, although not everyone would be able to make it every year.

Every year i had to help out, from my student days to NS to working, single till my kids came along and also helped out... From 3-rm flat, to 4-rm flat, to my condo (my parents stay with me now).

It was incredible that the friendship they built up from their twenties (got a few from their teens) could last till their 70s and 80s.

But 天下无不散的宴席,the turnouts dropped from a high of ~25-30 about 10-15 yr ago, gradually to only about 5-6 four years ago... [bigcry]

as one by one they passed away. And then there are also a few who are sick or weak so were not able to make it.

As a result, my folks stopped inviting these long-time (some as long as 60 years') kakis anymore...

a bit OT, but ageing is inevitable...

Supersonic

As you have said, ageing is inevitable. Actually no matter how old the person is, if the person has left nothing to focus or look forward to, its just sad.

i have parked my car there many times and many times a long queue in the void deck formed there below with  large red PE bags of what I believe could be some cooking oil, rice and sugar and some noodle packets being dished out, Seems well organised I must say...... dont know if its by public/private individual giving out or Govt social welfare unit distributing them..... few/some were not that old (maybe like 50's)      

Supercharged

one word .... YOLO

complete your bucket list now before too late ... sitting at the void deck and playing chess from 10am to 10pm

Lol when you mentioned YOLO... i see this

post-25622-0-79297700-1533005912_thumb.png

• Praise 1

As of March 2018, human euthanasia is legal in theNetherlandsBelgiumColombiaLuxembourg,Canada and India. Assisted suicide is legal inSwitzerlandGermanySouth KoreaJapan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont, Montana, Washington DC, and California.... from google of course

Later Singapore also see can make $$ why not join them 

I think it's time to legalize Euthanasia. 

I am all for it. 

Let people die with some dignity rather than committing suicide. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Is that u bro?

Acct hack?

Beautiful bro. Tks for sharing

Yes, appreciate those you love when they are with you and not when they are gone

Tks buddy. Be well

Mod post can praise twice by same acc one ah?

post-25622-0-25252400-1533006018_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

As of March 2018, human euthanasia is legal in theNetherlands, Belgium, Colombia, Luxembourg,Canada and India. Assisted suicide is legal inSwitzerland, Germany, South Korea, Japan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont, Montana, Washington DC, and California.... from google of course

Later Singapore also see can make $$ why not join them

I suggest a one stop service centre since Singapore is all about efficiency.

I walk in, got a counter do all the paperwork and my CPF, walk inside prepare for lethal injection and then cremate.

After that, can either drop all my ashes into the sea behind the building or put my ashes into a urn for family members to collect.

Done.

• Praise 1

I walk in, got a counter do all the paperwork and my CPF, walk inside prepare for lethal injection and then cremate.

After that, can either drop all my ashes into the sea behind the building or put my ashes into a urn for family members to collect.

Done.

i hope this method can be implemented soon   [thumbsup]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=4HD5Gt80H6s

Might as well do away with the coffin. Place body in a temporary container during the wake and follow with the process.

aiya coffin is for the funeral mah, basic rituals still needed.

Supersonic

Done.

If there is such service here, i think the business should be quite good.  [rolleyes]

Supercharged

aiya coffin is for the funeral mah, basic rituals still needed.

Want to be green must all the way liao. coffin is a big waste really. the wood the nails the paint the cushion the cloth all wasted just for that few days.

Want to be green must all the way liao. coffin is a big waste really. the wood the nails the paint the cushion the cloth all wasted just for that few days.

take back to recycle or become coffin rental service  [laugh]   

Personally I know a close knit family - with parents , sons family with kids staying together under one roof in a big bungalow and here is the situation ; wife gets a major stroke at age around 60 and hubby took care of her everything, including toilet /bathing/ feeding and like about 5-7 years down the road ... he just jumped off a high rise HDB flat after visiting his family member staying there ; he was like just touching 70 ; Finance was not an issue and also had friends and community but the trauma of taking care of loved one became a burden so much that he could not take it no more .... the wife passed away a few years later on.... it’s a cruel fate

it is quite sad if a couple is too loving, one will easily go into depression when the other is gone, better not to love your spouse too much   [laugh]

As you have said, ageing is inevitable. Actually no matter how old the person is, if the person has left nothing to focus or look forward to, its just sad.

yup... partly becos of this reason, despite my parents' age, my wife and i still let them help out with some things in the house, like cooking, washing, marketing, laundry, etc.

i was even toying with the idea of letting my father drive my daughter to school every morning 2 yr ago, but didn't proceed with it (I don't let my father drive at night)...

Let them have some routines that they feel they are contributing so that they will continue to feel useful. If everything no need them to do, think will also be a problem...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4