Tyre Rotation every 10k?

Dannnn

Thanks just wanna know more, its not about cost since rotating cost $10-30.. but if my theory/thinking make sense or not. As rotating is to wear the tyre evenly, so first rotation at 10k, next at 30k and change tyre at 40k.

I guess it makes sense mathematically but you'll miss one cycle of balancing and checking for defects. Also, different parts of the tire wear differently: the inside wears more than outside. By missing one cycle, you will wear the inside more. Edited by mengami
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

When I first got my car, I was a diligent supporter of rotating wheels.

After I got my van, when money was tight, I just go with changing tyre set by the axle. Between the van and my current PH rental car, I've put in probably about 1mil km. No tyre rotation, nothing happens.

If you're finding uneven tyre wear on the inside or outside, you should go for a wheel alignment instead. Uneven wear is usually caused by excessive toe in/out. Rotating tyres without fixing the toe problem, simply passed the defect around, eventually all 4 tyres will wear unevenly.

• Praise 4

After I got my van, when money was tight, I just go with changing tyre set by the axle. Between the van and my current PH rental car, I've put in probably about 1mil km. No tyre rotation, nothing happens.

If you're finding uneven tyre wear on the inside or outside, you should go for a wheel alignment instead. Uneven wear is usually caused by excessive toe in/out. Rotating tyres without fixing the toe problem, simply passed the defect around, eventually all 4 tyres will wear unevenly.

Actually that sounds like a good time to check for suspension setup base on tyre wear pattern. Thanks for the reminder that wear pattern reflects other things too!

Turbocharged

Exactly true.

Back then I was also religiously rotating my tyres every 10k until one day I was so busy I overlooked.. actually done at about 20k..

There wasn't any uneven wear. That got me to rethink.. since then, I never done it. No issues.

Normal street cars won't have much of uneven wear issue unless there are alignment and suspension issues.

IMO it's exaggerated by workshops for an extra buck.

Tyre rotation is a must and I only do it twice.

Assuming 45-30k km of usage, i cross rotate after 30k.

Personally I see no merit in doing 10k religiously.

IMHO and experience,  the necessity and method of rotation depends on where the vehicle is parked and the time it was used.

These conditions will determine the uneven wear rate. For some, the uneven wear rate will be '"outside" of the front left tyre. 

a) Vehicles that clock high mileage have higher overall wear rate that makes the uneven wear rate less obvious. 

b) Vehicles that parked at MSCP-Level 1 or open air usually have less of uneven wear vs those parked at higher level of MSCP.

At the upper level of MSCP,  certain portion of the surface is rougher and that contributes to more wear especially when turning up or down the different level.   One can see it as rougher surface provides more traction or the rougher surface is more durable, the surface wear less but the tyres wear more.   [laugh]

c)  On the time of use,  the contact area of the tyre to the ground will be more during early morning before sunrise vs after sunrise due to the different temperature. 

As there are many HDB dwellers, b) + c)  will contribute to uneven wear. 

I equate tyre rotation to cost and safety,  while it maybe overall cheaper (I dunno) that by doing tyre rotation to achieve all tyres evenly worn out and maximising the use of the tyres to the limit,  would I want to do that when I know that as it will diminish the traction over time?

In the end, I use the front left tyre uneven wear as an indicator and do the forward cross rotation i.e.  when the front left wear out,  I bring the back to the front and replace the back with new. 

Also, let's say I have another "sports" car that I dun use often that has got big rims plus super performance tyres (read expensive) and I always park in a single lot at the highest level of the MSCP.  If the front left tyre worn out,  it may makes sense to do tyre rotation often. 

[cool]

just share my views

Rotation = routing maintainance = Preventive maintainance

some think rotation is just to even up the 4 tire wear and tear , Simple ? 

i personally think it  can do many more than just 1 stated above.

Tire manufacturers strongly recommended it :

1)basic = even up your 4 tires because of road and surface conditions.

2) allow the tire shop to do  Visual inspection of your tire for any foreign objects or cut or bulge especially the inner part which cannot be seen without remove them from your car. 

3) to re confirm the tire out of balance after W&T (out of balance wheels can cause uneven wear to your tire not just vibration)

4) they will help you to check pressure and refill for you 

5) check for any punctured before you notice them which can be too late.

6) check for any rim damaged or Warp, which could lead to damage your Suspension system.

7) check for any out of wheel alignment . 

8) any one got more to share?

Modern car equipped with electronic TPMS does help you to certain extend but they not 100% substitute .

We all want our Journey SAFE and Nice.

especially we cars are getting more Power and our road are Journey are longer and we drive faster.

early days mind set no longer enough for modern day road.

My Slogan = Pirelli = Power is nothing without Control  

Control = we must do what is within our control =Good Quality tire = Preventive Tire maintenances = Safe trip.= Some cost 

What is not within our Control = road conditions = Other Road user = Authority regulations = Weather = any more to share

• Praise 1

just share my views

Rotation = routing maintainance = Preventive maintainance

some think rotation is just to even up the 4 tire wear and tear , Simple ? 

i personally think it  can do many more than just 1 stated above.

Tire manufacturers strongly recommended it :

1)basic = even up your 4 tires because of road and surface conditions.

2) allow the tire shop to do  Visual inspection of your tire for any foreign objects or cut or bulge especially the inner part which cannot be seen without remove them from your car. 

3) to re confirm the tire out of balance after W&T (out of balance wheels can cause uneven wear to your tire not just vibration)

4) they will help you to check pressure and refill for you 

5) check for any punctured before you notice them which can be too late.

6) check for any rim damaged or Warp, which could lead to damage your Suspension system.

7) check for any out of wheel alignment . 

8) any one got more to share?

Modern car equipped with electronic TPMS does help you to certain extend but they not 100% substitute .

We all want our Journey SAFE and Nice.

especially we cars are getting more Power and our road are Journey are longer and we drive faster.

early days mind set no longer enough for modern day road.

My Slogan = Pirelli = Power is nothing without Control

Control = we must do what is within our control =Good Quality tire = Preventive Tire maintenances = Safe trip.= Some cost 

What is not within our Control = road conditions = Other Road user = Authority regulations = Weather = any more to share

Eh... my AD check tyre condition and pressure every 10k service and suspension system every 20k service.  

Eh... my AD check tyre condition and pressure every 10k service and suspension system every 20k service.

Yes... Brake pad condition too.

to me that's not sufficient .

as mentioned in my post, some problem can not be seen from outside of the tire without remove from your car,like dented wheels , tire cut on the inside wall , wheels out of Balanced especially Rear wheels (you wont notice vibration unless travelling at high speed).

and it will be too late after tire is worn unevenly and could shorten the life span of your suspension system and wheel Bearing .

.just to Highlight wrong perception just to Balance front 2 wheels only .

All wheels MUST including spare Balance before put it to service. prolong out of balance cause uneven wear on your tire and vibration.

as mentioned in my post, some problem can not be seen from outside of the tire without remove from your car,like dented wheels , tire cut on the inside wall , wheels out of Balanced especially Rear wheels (you wont notice vibration unless travelling at high speed).

and it will be too late after tire is worn unevenly and could shorten the life span of your suspension system and wheel Bearing .

All wheels MUST including spare Balance before put it to service. prolong out of balance cause uneven wear on your tire and vibration.

But it seems like its the norm for workshop to just balance the tyres going to the front.

Labor at $15-20 is rather expensive. 2 yrs rotate 4x; top up a bit can already get 2 new tires (depend on size) . Nothing beats new tires, comfort, noise and grip.

• Praise 1

Eh... you one year how much mileage and how many time you balance as per above?

I should think my AD got check.  The car already jack up so high, just use torch shine here shine there. 

My outside workshop also got check.

Edited by Kklee

In recent years, I tend to balance & rotate every tire every 10kkm.

First 10kkm Front Rear Swap.

Next 10kkm Cross Rotate

Paying RM28 for 4 X Balance & Rotate do help extend my tire quite a bit lor. About and extra 15kkm

I usually will do komputer wheel alignment for every new tires set change lor as it is quite ex at RM48 lor Or failed LTA side slip test during VI then bobian.

If Fuel consumption is OK or normal than I will skip wheel alignment ....

Edited by Apple-Tree
  • Praise 1

Eh... you one year how much mileage and how many time you balance as per above?

I should think my AD got check.  The car already jack up so high, just use torch shine here shine there. 

My outside workshop also got check.

average 1 year 20,000km 

We always liek to witness how work done before me .

would you think they uses torch can see all your wheels thorougly ? i doube 1 can see properly without removing from ther car.

↡ Advertisement