YouTrip Mobile wallet

Jman888

7 hours ago, Kusje said:

I think all banks/master/visa have some form of mark up of around 3%.

https://milelion.com/2019/08/28/2019-edition-best-cards-for-overseas-spending/

With interchange rate at 3% and a 3% direct rebate without a cap, it is not sustainable, so it will be for a limited period only or they will hand to mark up the exchange rate in the future.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Voodooman said:

With interchange rate at 3% and a 3% direct rebate without a cap, it is not sustainable, so it will be for a limited period only or they will hand to mark up the exchange rate in the future.

I don't worry about sustainable or not. That's for the bank to worry. This ICBC promo has been there for more than 1 year I think.

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

I don't worry about sustainable or not. That's for the bank to worry. This ICBC promo has been there for more than 1 year I think.

Check the exchange rate.

12 hours ago, Kusje said:

It should be the same as other cards. Anywhere, here's a better one I just found. Should be useful for sgd as well. 

https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/promotion/cards-black-cashback

Just don't ask me if sustainable or not.

Haha.... Won't ask you that question.

But once, I swiped 2-3 credit cards on same day while overseas, the exchange rate differential surprised me.  Asked a friend who works in a bank and was told the rates are set by individual banks daily.  Someone in their FX department decides how much is reasonable. 😅

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

If there is balance in the youtrip account after overseas trip spending, how am I able to retrieve the balance?

use it to pay in local retailers for restaurants, it is like another credit card.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

If there is balance in the youtrip account after overseas trip spending, how am I able to retrieve the balance?

Use as ez link card

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

use it to pay in local retailers for restaurants, it is like another credit card.

some currencies like Japan yen can pre-convert before the trip, these can convert back?  

13 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Haha.... Won't ask you that question.

But once, I swiped 2-3 credit cards on same day while overseas, the exchange rate differential surprised me.  Asked a friend who works in a bank and was told the rates are set by individual banks daily.  Someone in their FX department decides how much is reasonable. 😅

I'm not sure your friend is accurate just because he works in the bank. 

I always thought the exchange rate was set by either mastercard or visa. https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html 

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

The discrepency you see in the rates could be due to:

1. Different fees of the different banks

2. Different dates that your transaction was actually posted 

3. Different exchange rates between visa, master or amex (or even unionpay). This seems quite opaque....

Edited by Kusje

11 hours ago, Dafansu said:

some currencies like Japan yen can pre-convert before the trip, these can convert back?  

maybe not to convert to other currency, just load in S$ and use the spot rate at the time of purchase. 

i used the card in JB a few time yesterday, after first use the app was log out and ask for verification vis sms, mean you need to incur overseas charge for sms! 

anyone got log out from the apps when overseas? cos you still need to log in to check and load credit.

7 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

i used the card in JB a few time yesterday, after first use the app was log out and ask for verification vis sms, mean you need to incur overseas charge for sms! 

anyone got log out from the apps when overseas? cos you still need to log in to check and load credit.

was in yesterday as well, done 4 transactions and 2 top up yesterday, so far never log out or done further verification, only key in pin to enter as usual. I'm using local TPG network with free MY roaming. Started using this only last month only less than 10 transactions clocked thus far. My wife just received the card, done few transactions yesterday also no verification via sms.

Edited by Dafansu
↡ Advertisement