YouTrip Mobile wallet

Jman888

Sharing the usage of my YOUTRIP Debit Card in JB - 

TOP up S$300 to my YOUTRIP Debit Card before leaving for JB this morning.  Btw, TOP up was done using CITI Credit Card.

Did 2 transactions in JB:

1st transaction : RM10 - TOP up my Maxis prepaid card.  S$3.33 was deducted from my YOUTRIP Debit Card.  This works out to S$1=RM 3.003.  Very good rate as compared to the rate from $$$ changer which was $1= RM 2.985 this morning

2nd transaction: RM71.20 - S$23.69 was deducted from my YOUTRIP Debit Card. This works out to $1 = RM 3.005.  ( $$ changer ex rate at JB was $1 = RM 2.97) .

My biggest spending was RM700 plus on buying of durians, but unfortunately, my YOUTRIP Debit Card can not be used for the purchase as the durian stall there does not accept payment via Debit Card.

post-16380-0-86884000-1535628869_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 5

TOP up S$300 to my YOUTRIP Debit Card before leaving for JB this morning.  Btw, TOP up was done using CITI Credit Card.

1st transaction : RM10 - TOP up my Maxis prepaid card.  S$3.33 was deducted from my YOUTRIP Debit Card.  This works out to S$1=RM 3.003.  Very good rate as compared to the rate from $$$ changer which was $1= RM 2.985 this morning

2nd transaction: RM71.20 - S$23.69 was deducted from my YOUTRIP Debit Card. This works out to $1 = RM 3.005.  ( $$ changer ex rate at JB was $1 = RM 2.97) .

My biggest spending was RM700 plus on buying of durians, but unfortunately, my YOUTRIP Debit Card can not be used for the purchase as the durian stall there does not accept payment via Debit Card.

mean you just need to top up the card in SGD but able to use it in different country where they will do the conversion base on the spot rate?

or do i need to exchange then keep the foreign currency in the card?

Turbocharged

when i was going through their website, i had this impression that the FX rate is fixed as and when you top up the S$300 into your account. Assuming then spot rate was 3x, you would be credited with RM900 in your account and then when you spend in RM, the corresponding amounts (RM81.20 in your case for 2 transactions) would then be debited from RM900, leaving a balance of RM818.20.

Turbocharged

when i was going through their website, i had this impression that the FX rate is fixed as and when you top up the S$300 into your account. Assuming then spot rate was 3x, you would be credited with RM900 in your account and then when you spend in RM, the corresponding amounts (RM81.20 in your case for 2 transactions) would then be debited from RM900, leaving a balance of RM818.20.

i went back to re-read their site.

seems like there are 2 ways: 

1 is what you have illustrated - top up in S$ and when you transact overseas, the spot rate then is applied.

2 is what i mentioned above - you lock in a rate and keep the $ in foreign currency equivalent. Only question is whether you can exchange leftover foreign currency back to SGD (prob at the then spot rate).

• Praise 1

Need to top up before going overseas, or can this be done thru their app? Going Thailand soon, so may apply for this if it sounds so attractive

• Praise 1

mean you just need to top up the card in SGD but able to use it in different country where they will do the conversion base on the spot rate?

or do i need to exchange then keep the foreign currency in the card?

There are 10 currencies whereby you can exchange before your overseas trip (These 10 currencies are shown on the App). However, as RM is not one of the 10 currencies that you can exchange before your trip, you just need to top up your card with SGD, so when you do your oversea, purchases, for my case in JB, the amount due would be deducted from my Debit Card in SGD.  The exchange rate is based on MasterCard wholesale exchange rate at 0% fee .

There is Mastercard calculator in the App that allows you fnd out the exchange rates of 150 currencies.

2 is what i mentioned above - you lock in a rate and keep the $ in foreign currency equivalent. Only question is whether you can exchange leftover foreign currency back to SGD (prob at the then spot rate).

Please see reply from YOUTRIP in reply to my question sent to them.

post-16380-0-78067700-1535793022_thumb.png

Edited by Civic2000
  • Praise 1

There are 10 currencies whereby you can exchange before your overseas trip (These 10 currencies are shown on the App). However, as RM is not one of the 10 currencies that you can exchange before your trip, you just need to top up your card with SGD, so when you do your oversea, purchases, for my case in JB, the amount due would be deducted from my Debit Card in SGD. The exchange rate is based on MasterCard wholesale exchange rate at 0% fee .

There is Mastercard calculator in the App that allows you fnd out the exchange rates of 150 currencies.

mean if Thai and Taiwan currency not in there, i can only top up the card in SGD and use it like normal credit card, but base on the spot rate there and then without extra fees and charges [thumbsup]

Is their rate better than our credit card exchange rate if use for online shopping? Eg. If you buy from international websites like iHerb.

I believe their rate is better than credit card ex rate.  The rates from the local $$ changers are better than the credit card rates and YOUTRIP rates is even better than the rates given by the local $$ changer. I did a sample check on Thai Baht ex rate quoted by YOUTRIP for today is 1 Baht = 0.041914 ( SGD 1 = 24.858) which is better than most of the local $$ changers for THB ex rate.

post-16380-0-28451300-1535795339_thumb.pngpost-16380-0-38752500-1535795361_thumb.png

Just made my online purchase using Youtrip card on iHerb. Really better rates.

1 USD = SGD 0.7310 which I think is better than the credit card rates. Correct me if I am wrong