Reckless Cyclist

Brock

2 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Good answer, but not applicable to just errant cyclists. It's the same as why insured, licensed and plated drivers still want to drive like dicks causing dangers and inconveniences to others. I'm sure they are all above 18 and reasonably educated to behave. 

Crackdown operations have a deterrence effect and it serves as a major warning to the targeted trouble making group that the authorities are now sitting up and taking action. They can't be everywhere all the time, but the message has to be sent. That's most important. 

Unfortunately this current lot of silver service/millionstars lack the resolve to tackle these issues. Like littering/smoking in non designated areas.  I think they feel they are powerless against the large number of culprits and just give up/heck care.  Enforce or don't, 马照跑。舞照跳,薪水照拿.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Unfortunately this current lot of silver service/millionstars lack the resolve to tackle these issues. Like littering/smoking in non designated areas.  I think they feel they are powerless against the large number of culprits and just give up/heck care.  Enforce or don't, 马照跑。舞照跳,薪水照拿.

Need to wait for people to die first, and I'm not saying out of jest. 

After Tanjong Pagar BMW M4, within the next few weeks immediately had sting operations at Yishun Dam stopping all suspicious cars/bikes for illegal modifications. 

After someone got killed at the pavements by PMDs, CISCO got tasked to mount operations across the PCNs. Flying kick at a PMD trying to escape as well. 

• Praise 5

10 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Need to wait for people to die along Pedestrian Pavement first, and I'm not saying out of jest. 

After Tanjong Pagar BMW M4, within the next few weeks immediately had sting operations at Yishun Dam stopping all suspicious cars/bikes for illegal modifications. 

After someone got killed at the pavements by PMDs, CISCO got tasked to mount operations across the PCNs. Flying kick at a PMD trying to escape as well. 

Added clarity.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
11 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Need to wait for people to die first, and I'm not saying out of jest. 

Many of those stings involve catching chao ah beng. Easy prey

Now dunno if they brave enuf. Maybe they scared wing mirror kena whack off.....

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

talk until got tiger and dragon, the 1 and only reason cyclist reject a number plate is once a number plate is install, they cannot do this and get away anymore. heaven know, earth know u know i know

https://youtu.be/_MNT7VyV-BE

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Beregond said:

talk until got tiger and dragon, the 1 and only reason cyclist reject a number plate is once a number plate is install, they cannot do this and get away anymore. heaven know, earth know u know i know

Can't even argue your point across.  You should consider abstain from this thread la

6 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Shiok. Must be a sight to enjoy.

Can share pic? I want to check whether is really enjoy or not ☹️

• Haha! 3

I've given the matter of licensing and putting license plates on bicycles some serious thought. And I happened to be very free before dinner... 😂

I don't cycle myself, so I welcome feedback from those few who cycled here, I know there's a few. And then there are advocates of registering bicycles, you know who you are and feel free to share your serious views. 

It's not that its totally impossible to license and issue license plates for cyclists, but first, the framework had to be well thought out and fair across all users of bicycles. How this framework will fit into the future of a car lite society is also important. 

1) Before we can slap license plates on, we need to issue license. I think most can agree that licensing the rider makes more sense than registering the bicycle. There are just too many existing bicycles in Singapore alone and some households have multiple bicycles. The cost and effort to register ALL the bicycles will be an expensive and futile exercise. And if the bicycles had changed hands, there is a need to maintain an up to date database just for this. 

2. Then we need to decide on age. Perhaps going with age 16 makes sense, as that's the age which we issue IC. The license number is tagged to the IC number. Doing so, means anyone below age 16 don't need license to ride a bicycle, and they are not allowed on the roads. This automatically means children don't need license and aren't allowed on the roads. Age 16 is also aligned with the current min. age limit for PAB / PMD. Those already with valid driving licenses are automatically exempted from taking bicycle license, the demerit points system will apply when they ride a bicycle on the road.

3. Next it's the demographics. The LTA is then required to enforce and ensure everyone who are out there riding bicycles above age 16 to take up a bicycle license. This will include teenagers, foreign workers, foreigners residing here, adults and the possibly illiterate elderly to register and be issued with a license. Assuming that this onerous task can be done, there is a need to address foreigners and tourists riding bicycles here on short term visits. Do we ask them to take up a test first then they can ride a bicycle and be issued with a temporary license plate, assuming for someone above age 16? Remember no such thing as direct license conversion because no one else will have a foreign bicycle license, and not all will have a foreign driving license. 

4. Then its the usage of bicycles. Not all bicycles are to be ridden on pavements, PCNs and the roads. Serious mountain bikers ride their bikes predominantly in the trials, do we also enforce these bicycles to put on license plates? They may argue it isn't fair to them since they don't cause problems on the roads, but too bad because its the law. What about grey areas such as when an unlicensed cyclist below 16 is required to cycle on the roads for a short while to get to the destination, where do we draw the line? 

5. Because it's going to be impossible for bike paths, pavements and PCNs to cover every inch of this island, there has to be a road usage framework in order for unlicensed below 16 cyclists to use their bicycles as a last mile mobility tool. This is critical if we want to promote car lite. Do we only restrict them from the main roads & expressways, but allow them to ride on the smaller minor roads? There is a need to define what's a major road and minor road then. It does complicate things and it will be extremely challenging to enforce. 

6. Let's talk costs. It's only fair to expect the LTA to recover a very low cost when issuing a bicycle license, because we are talking about a very broad demographic (ranging from teenagers, low wage workers, retirees all the way to working adults). So this means a large part of the related costs to administer, enforce and maintain a valid database of licensed cyclists had to be borne by the government. That means taxpayers. 

7. Since cyclists above 16 are now licensed, bicycle rental businesses will also have to the responsibility to ensure that only those with a valid bicycle license can rent from them. This absolves these businesses of the responsibility, in the event that someone without a license rode their rented bicycles on the roads. It's the same as renting a car. Below 16 and no bike license? Too bad for you as there is no guarantee that you will just keep to the PCNs/pavements. 

8. Lastly, mandatory insurance which many motorists have advocated. More companies have to come in to do the underwriting and offer third-party insurance to be competitive and to keep costs low. Else, since this new law is the doing of the government, ask NTUC to stomach and keep costs low for all cyclists lor. That's a tall order, is likely to be Ng Chee Meng's response. 

As an example, ETIQA offers comprehensive 3rd party insurances for mobility devices. Such premiums isn't that affordable if you ask me. Try asking a Bangladeshi foreign worker to fork out $78 per year for the most basic plan, when their well beaten bicycles which passed through many hands may have cost less than that to buy. 

image.thumb.png.bfa315cfb16e7b0f92f65d4ae5b10911.png

Fire away, guys. Want to hear some constructive suggestions and inputs. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

On 4/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, Beregond said:

you mean do this?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

you mean do this?

omg. this 1 tao nao pai. totally crazy 

whatever law also cannot save liao

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 4/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, Lethalstrike said:

What to do? We don't deserve good things which are free. 

You should lok at the demographics of the rental.

The substantial fines on the company was also quite high

46 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

You should lok at the demographics of the rental.

The substantial fines on the company was also quite high

Luckily, bike sharing companies are a passing fad which had eventually faded out. The aftermath was ugly with bikes thrown / parked everywhere, not forgetting abused. When the government cannot control the situation, the next simple thing to do is to fine the companies and pass the responsibility to them. 

Had this trend continued, coupled with the cycling boom following Covid, it's going to worsen the present problem of increasing infractions from the cyclists.  

Until we come out with a bicycle licensing/registration framework, I think it's still back to education, enforcement and penalties. Perhaps after this latest review, there would be efforts to step up on education and enforcement, plus heavier penalties for cycling infractions. In short, it's just another wayang show as many motorists will say. 

• Praise 5

11 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Luckily, bike sharing companies are a passing fad which had eventually faded out. The aftermath was ugly with bikes thrown / parked everywhere, not forgetting abused. When the government cannot control the situation, the next simple thing to do is to fine the companies and pass the responsibility to them. 

Had this trend continued, coupled with the cycling boom following Covid, it's going to worsen the present problem of increasing infractions from the cyclists.  

Until we come out with a bicycle licensing/registration framework, I think it's still back to education, enforcement and penalties. Perhaps after this latest review, there would be efforts to step up on education and enforcement, plus heavier penalties for cycling infractions. In short, it's just another wayang show as many motorists will say. 

The ability to rent a bike should be tie in to a credit card. Just like what Apple play or play store has. That will eliminate some variables. 

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

The ability to rent a bike should be tie in to a credit card. Just like what Apple play or play store has. That will eliminate some variables. 

Most would need a mobile app to unlock the bikes. And within the app, payment was linked to their credit cards. Or, some would actually require users to pre purchase credits thru the app, which would then be deducted for every rental.

Edited by Lethalstrike

On 4/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, Heartbreakid said:

Some of the black sheep cyclists we seen here are not 3 year old kid but a full growth adult and mostly are a parent themselves. Why education is needed for them not to block and cause inconvenience to other road users while they still continue to cycle as if nothing happens is beyond my understanding. This kind of safety and consideration should be a common sense. 

I do agree that we need more authorities to discipline these group of black sheeps but we cannot have authorities round the island.

Once again, it's a first world problem, simple yet humans make it complicated.

Education won't work. Everyone knows red light means stop don't hog lanes, . They know those things they did are reckless and against the law. It's not the lack of knowledge, but simply willfulness and  that need the strong enforcement and penalties. Only when many are made an examples, or they get to live after a near death experience will that be effective education.

• Praise 2

Yes. Effective only for those who experienced it and those around witnessed it. But as always, there will always be others repeating the same error. The most important thing is self discipline, respect and common sense but those black sheep cyclists decide to put their own safety in other people's hand instead of themselves. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1