Reckless Cyclist

Brock

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/cycling-roads-5-areas-ought-be-reviewed?cid=tdy tg_tg-am_social-msging-free_09102018_today&fbclid=IwAR0hTTdBzGZNE_IcV0zjdLSalsa-a_KKkuzsuYVqIZchWoxvQhTB8wtg6wA#.X9G8g6xYHJ0.facebook

While the Government is keen to push for a car-lite Singapore, it owes a duty to motorists and cyclists to ensure that the roads remain safe for both sets of users. I would like to suggest a review of the following five areas: 

1. Cyclists are prohibited from cycling only on expressways and road tunnels. This means that cyclists are allowed to cycle on roads such as Nicoll Highway, West Coast Highway, Keppel Viaduct and Bartley Viaduct. Along these roads, vehicles can move fairly quickly, with limits of up to 70kmh. Allowing cyclists on such highways and viaducts runs counter to the very reason these roads were built and is highly dangerous. Cyclists should be permitted only on roads with a speed limit of up to 50kmh. Instead of riding on Nicoll Highway, for instance, cyclists could use Beach Road or the park connectors along Marina Bay.

2. Roads are used mainly for people to get from A to B, rather than for leisure. Hence, it is puzzling that the rules allow cyclists to ride two abreast, which could hold up traffic on one lane and result in motorists having to filter to the next lane to overtake the cyclists. I will be interested to understand the rationale of this rule. 

3. Some codes of conduct are unclear. For example, telling cyclists to ride through pedestrian crossings at “walking speed” is vague and appears half-hearted.

4. Even with codes of conduct, however inadequate or limited they may be, the penalties for breaking the rules are also unclear. For example, what are the penalties for not cycling at “walking speed” at crossings?

5.There is no need for cyclists to pass tests before they start riding on the roads. I understand the need to avoid over-regulation, but surely the authorities must at least be interested to get cyclists up to speed with the rules before they hit the roads. Regulations are only as good as the effectiveness of enforcement. Without the need for registration, enforcement will be challenging. Also, without the need for cyclists to undergo tests, there is no way to find out if they understand the regulations before they hit the roads.

Against the backdrop of the Government’s push for a car-lite Singapore, it appears that we do not have an adequate regulatory framework that includes effective enforcement.This has caused plenty of angst among motorists and cyclists. It is high time that this is reviewed thoroughly.

must support

I support this.

EVERYONE (INCLUDING those below 12) has to go through cycling course and test.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Really old flower eyes.

No one mentioned sentenced to a week jail! It literally mean ONE week! 

Cheap cheap...

Edited by Kopites

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

Wtf! Killed people on the 2nd lane on a 4-lane road somemore! These cb cyclists.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 3

49 minutes ago, Mustank said:

The issue is power and instinct to survive 

if bike guy see in front is King Kong lorry, he won’t Daytona :grin:

I don't want to fall

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Wtf! Killed people on the 2nd lane on a 4-lane road somemore! These cb cyclists.

Cannot imagine the impact of the force.... Road Bikes = Need for Speed;  but at 6pm cyclist should jolly well know that the traffic is heavy and not smooth flowing as it is  

Another thing is who pays for the damages (bills  incurred) while the victim is in hospital , but unlike cars there is no insurance for 3rd party for bikers to start with   

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 3

18 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Cannot imagine the impact of the force.... Road Bikes = Need for Speed;  but at 6pm cyclist should jolly well know that the traffic is heavy and not smooth flowing as it is  

Another thing is who pays for the damages (bills incurred) while the victim is in hospital , but unlike cars there is no insurance for 3rd party for bikers to start with   

All very good points. 

I'm very happy as a taxpayer paying for that cb's accommodation in Changi and his meals there though.

The victim's family should sue that cb for damage. I'm sure he will be liable.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

30 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Another thing is who pays for the damages (bills  incurred) while the victim is in hospital , but unlike cars there is no insurance for 3rd party for bikers to start with   

Not just the force, its how the Uncle fell backwards hit back of head. 

There was one case where a guy punched another older man, the older man fell backward hit his head and died. 

At least he took responsibility, stayed back to tend the guy. 

If he rode more defensively and not expect the man to stop, this accident wouldn't have happened. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

All very good points. 

I'm very happy as a taxpayer paying for that cb's accommodation in Changi and his meals there though.

Last few years back in Geylang/ Sims area it was the e-bike menace...."weezing"  in/out ..... like the place is for the  "borne free people or even Sovereigns"....... anything goes    

• Praise 2

44 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

All very good points. 

This type of CBs most priced possession is probably his bike... Sue also can get nothing. And he would be deported after Chalet stay. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

This type of CBs most priced possession is probably his bike... Sue also can get nothing. And he would be deported after Chalet stay. 

Being a foreigner and working -he likely has no assets whatsoever here ; get paper judgement in the pedestrian favor also no use; good money wasted chasing after bad money 

Also is a 1 week jail sentence likely end up in deportation ?? is it treated as a criminal act or just an accident or incident ??

Now that we have lesser PMD problems, I can only hope that cyclists can be more considerate, there will always be old folks, kids and pregnant women walking on the road and footpath , be very careful   and be considerate of   safety of other road users when riding.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Interim barricades for cyclists below Benjamin Sheares Bridge to ensure safety of young children

The area below the Benjamin Sheares Bridge is an event space, with many families using it, he added. “For their safety, especially with young children running around, we have put up interim barricades and signage to remind cyclists to dismount and push their bike, following which, they can mount their bikes again and cycle for the rest of the stretch.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/interim-barricades-for-cyclists-below-benjamin-sheares-bridge-to-13742390

barricades-under-benjamin-sheares-bridge

On 12/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, Beregond said:

whole row of car behind, how to describe this kind of behaviour?

I met one doing exactly the same on Thomson Road the other day! 

2 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

I met one doing exactly the same on Thomson Road the other day! 

Thomson Road more than 1 lane le.  Unlike East Coast Service road.

↡ Advertisement