Reckless Cyclist

Brock

Twincharged

It looks like he knew what he was doing to me - he was looking back to negotiate with you to let him cross once he saw you there, which you did - well done. The cyclist also knew you were about to join another stationary queue of traffic so were likely to have no problem with him changing lanes, he probably does that route every day and has worked out the most efficient and safe way across that junction.

I felt he should have just kept to the left most lane that can still turn right so that he will be on the extreme left lane already. No need to switch lanes after turning.

↡ Advertisement

I felt he should have just kept to the left most lane that can still turn right so that he will be on the extreme left lane already. No need to switch lanes after turning.

That's actually a very dangerous position for a cyclist to be in (blind spots). Unfortunately the law appears not to understand this, in terms of the keep left at all times rule. One time a cyclist arrived on my left just as the lights turned green and I was pulling away and he was in my path! I posted a video about it, and all the cyclists commented that he should not have been in that

side position to turn right.

I think you'd be even more annoyed if he took the left lane, as the law requires, but in a position that doesn't allow you to pass, which would be the safest way for him to do so, and would be the longest path across the junction. I think he's an experienced cyclist, without knowing what else he was up to it's hard to say for sure. Some give and take is required, as long as nobody assumes right of way we should all get along fine.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

If I was the cyclist, I would use the pedestrian crossing at the traffic junction to cross to the other (left) side and not cycle on the right lane and try to filter to the left... and hoping other vehicles will give way to me.

• Praise 2

It looks like he knew what he was doing to me - he was looking back to negotiate with you to let him cross once he saw you there, which you did - well done. The cyclist also knew you were about to join another stationary queue of traffic so were likely to have no problem with him changing lanes, he probably does that route every day and has worked out the most efficient and safe way across that junction.

i dont agree... from his reaction to lean his bicycle lower thru the corner to keep to the 1st lane when he saw me coming shows he expect cars to give way to him and only negotiating lane change after that... and yes i think he take this route daily as i saw him yesterday as well but this time he take the predestrian crossing instead of riding with the cars... well i dont think the way he ride is the safest way to cross if he were to do similar lane change the way he did every day..

• Dislike 1

If I was the cyclist, I would use the pedestrian crossing at the traffic junction to cross to the other (left) side and not cycle on the right lane and try to filter to the left... and hoping other vehicles will give way to me.

Generally speaking - I will turn right from the left most turning lane. I will look at the indicators if the drivers - indicator on, I will form up behind them in the middle of the lane.

Going straight - depends on the size of the junction, generally speaking though, I will be in the middle of the lane (not lane splitting). I don't trust people to use indicators properly and won't put myself in someone's blind spot trusting they have remembered to turn on their little orange light. (in other words - I will position myself such that drivers can help be see me)

• Praise 1

http://youtu.be/BJvKiIDAjo8

see this cyclist, moved from lane 5 to 3 and back to land 5, like his grandfather road.

Thats why i always say to LTA, cyclist want to cycle on road, please make them register a registration plate number.

If not enforcement is almost impossible. Even if the cyclist run red light etc also cannot catch what.

• Praise 2

Thats why i always say to LTA, cyclist want to cycle on road, please make them register a registration plate number.

If not enforcement is almost impossible. Even if the cyclist run red light etc also cannot catch what.

You mean impossible for LTA/TP to enforce it or us (drivers)?

Do you cycle like him too?

Sometimes -

what did he do wrong?

Where did he hold up traffic?

Did he run any red lights?

If that had been a motorbike, would you have a problem?

That's actually a very dangerous position for a cyclist to be in (blind spots). Unfortunately the law appears not to understand this, in terms of the keep left at all times rule. One time a cyclist arrived on my left just as the lights turned green and I was pulling away and he was in my path! I posted a video about it, and all the cyclists commented that he should not have been in that

side position to turn right.

I think you'd be even more annoyed if he took the left lane, as the law requires, but in a position that doesn't allow you to pass, which would be the safest way for him to do so, and would be the longest path across the junction. I think he's an experienced cyclist, without knowing what else he was up to it's hard to say for sure. Some give and take is required, as long as nobody assumes right of way we should all get along fine.

I agreed with you man. Cyclist entering a vehicle's blind spot is dangerous. Especially for heavy vehicles like trailers as the vehicle head room is high and the blind spot is huge. The driver focus would be mostly moving the vehicle as it takes alot of effort to maneuver their vehicle.

The problem now is that are we suppose to to look for out cyclist when they are not suppose to be on the roads at all? And when an accident happens the liability is with the motorist and not the cyclist, the cyclist put themselves at risk by cycling on the road.

• Praise 1

http://youtu.be/BJvKiIDAjo8

see this cyclist, moved from lane 5 to 3 and back to land 5, like his grandfather road.

Again, looked like a very skilled, experienced and competent cyclist commuter to me. Church St to Finlayson Green in morning rush hour, for those who aren't familiar - he doesn't want to be boxed in on the left where cars switch lanes, buses pull out and taxis come to sudden stops. I can understand every move the cyclist made and he did them in a way which caused no inconvenience to other road users. When he'd passed the bottleneck he was back on the left and the wide lane allowed you to pass safely, apparently without giving him any extra margin.

How is that reckless?

Again, looked like a very skilled, experienced and competent cyclist commuter to me. Church St to Finlayson Green in morning rush hour, for those who aren't familiar - he doesn't want to be boxed in on the left where cars switch lanes, buses pull out and taxis come to sudden stops. I can understand every move the cyclist made and he did them in a way which caused no inconvenience to other road users. When he'd passed the bottleneck he was back on the left and the wide lane allowed you to pass safely, apparently without giving him any extra margin.

How is that reckless?

The fact that we (me and cyclist) were travelling in the same direction, if my lau pok kai ride can stay on the left lane without any issue, don't see why he needs to risk his limbs or life to switch from left to right.

no matter how skillful this cyclist, don't forget there are goondu drivers around and he may be killed by goondu

Cyclist should stick to traffic law, see attached for details.

Quoted in attached:

Bicycle to be ridden on left side of road

Singapore Laws on Cycling.pdf

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Sometimes -

what did he do wrong?

at this speed, he won't be able to brake in time if the front vehicle do a e-brake.

• Praise 2

You mean impossible for LTA/TP to enforce it or us (drivers)?

Both.

There have been so many cases of people who flout traffic laws, caught by car cameras. Think the Kim lookalike road bully.

But cyclist? how to enforce without plate number?

I have explained in another thread before, that i have seen a cyclist denting a stationary car at East Coast Park. Again if there was a registration number, i could have been a witness.

I think it is only fair that if you wanna use the roads; want people to give you 1.5m clearance etc, you should at least be responsible for anything that happens on the roads.

In our case in SG, cyclist have rights(which i am happy to have as i cycle sometimes too), but zero responsibility.

Frankly coming from a amateur cyclist, i am more than happy to register my bikes.

I have zero tolerance for cyclists that ride dangerously; injuring pedestrians(this i saw with my own eyes as well in Bedok Central), pull dangerous stunts on the roads with scant regard to their own and other people's safety, and of course the spandex clad troupe of AMDKs on the road that threaten violence when honked at.

• Praise 5

Sometimes -

what did he do wrong?

Yes, same problem if it was a motorbike or a car.

Only difference is both motorbike/cars have a registration number.

They flout traffic rules, caught on camera, forward to LTA, let LTA/TP decide if they are guilty.

But if it is a bike? They get away with it.

↡ Advertisement