Upgrade of ICE

Roverboy

Hi all,

Needed some advice. Driving a Renault Grand Scenic 4 and intending to do some moderate upgrades to my ICE for better enjoyment (not an audiophile).

This was suggested by a workshop after some discussion:

1) HU - Remain as stock (due to many integrated functions)

2) Replace both front and rear stock speakers with Rainbow SLC6.2 component speakers (so that rear passengers also gets enjoyable music, not just driver and front passenger)

3) Add a basic active sub under driver seat.

4) Sound proofing and door sealers to all 4 doors.

5) Still considering a DSP+Amp unit.

Damage for S/N 1 to 3 is 1.9K with install + tuning.

Like to seek comments!

Edited by GS418
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Needed some advice. Driving a Renault Grand Scenic 4 and intending to do some moderate upgrades to my ICE for better enjoyment (not an audiophile).

This was suggested by a workshop after some discussion:

1) HU - Remain as stock (due to many integrated functions)

2) Replace both front and rear stock speakers with Rainbow SLC6.2 component speakers (so that rear passengers also gets enjoyable music, not just driver and front passenger)

3) Add a basic active sub under driver seat.

4) Sound proofing and door sealers to all 4 doors.

5) Still considering a DSP+Amp unit.

Damage for S/N 1 to 3 is 1.9K with install + tuning.

Like to seek comments!

Sound is subjective. Have you listened to the Rainbow Speakers before? Is the sound and its quality acceptable to you?

The main thing first is to set a comfortable budget and lists down your main objectives/purpose of upgrading before considering what to do next.

Sound is subjective. Have you listened to the Rainbow Speakers before? Is the sound and its quality acceptable to you?

The main thing first is to set a comfortable budget and lists down your main objectives/purpose of upgrading before considering what to do next.

Yes, I chose Rainbow over several other brands.

But configuration wise,

(1) 2 Sets components (Front and Rear) with Active Sub Woofer.

(2) Front (Component), Rear (Coaxial), with Active Sub Woofer and DSP.

Which is better or technically sound?

• Praise 1

Whats the model of the speakers and woofer?

But configuration wise,

• Praise 1

But configuration wise,

Best is to overhaul the entire system one time at one go which includes 3 way speaker set ups, amps, subs and DSPs. By doing so you are already stepping into audiophile territory cos the amount spend will not be little. 

Other than listening to workshop recommendation, you have to assess it yourself. Does your rear seat passengers enjoys your music? Most of the time the rear volume will be tuned lower but if you don't want to waste time and have the money to splurge... by all means.. fire away. 

But configuration wise,

But configuration wise,

For car listening, the difference would be marginal unless volume up to very high level.

Don't spend too much unless you have excess budget & intend to keep the car for at least five years

Personally prefer to build slowly to appreciate the difference. Maybe more cumbersome but at least I know the dollar-sound value of each component of the audio system. Do not pay extra for expensive cables, not worth the money. FYI I have installed German-made Rainbow speakers & satisfied with the performance.

• Praise 1

But configuration wise,

here is my opinion..

option 1) you would lose the "staging" effect if using components. I would just use coaxial for the rear if really need one. But, it can be low priority. If unsure, do the front first.

option 2) I would invest in an amp before a dsp. The downside of dsp is that you would need to do proper tuning, and its important to have a good tuner. If not tuned properly, a passive setup (option 1) would sound much better.

Many thanks to all the kind souls for the sharing and advices. Appreciate!!

Decided to go ahead with the following configuration with considerations to my budget!

1) Rainbow SLC6.2 Component Speakers (Front and Rear)

2) Esatto Comado CO-D6 DSP (with built in Amp)

3) Esatto Underseat Active Subwoofer AS69

4) 3 layers Soundguard soundproofing (all 4 doors)

5) Door seals (all 4 doors + Boot door)

6) Initial Tuning + Follow up tuning (~1 month later after speakers run in period) **FOC.

Installing today....And hopefully it will turn out well!

Just to add that if budget had allowed, I would have preferred dedicated DSP and Amp, rather than an integrated unit. 3 way speakers instead of 2 way, and also soundproofing for Firewall and Wheel arcs.

Approx. 4.5K!

Hmmm......if not too late, perhaps you should re-consider other configurations & set-up. Not an expert but generally you can achieve reasonably good sound production & audio experience for less than 3K as HU is stock.

Soundproofing contributed to a significant part of the cost ~1K. 3 layers each door and door seals. And I chose the most expensive (hopefully the most effective and robust one) which is double the price of several other brands. Today driving it and well, road noise is negligible! Can't even hear the sound of big trucks and bus when they are beside me. But of course, not many will spend so much on soundproofing which they cannot 'see' or 'hear'. My friend spent 8K and nothing done on soundproofing. So really up to individual where soundproofing is concerned.

So my main piority was to get soundproofing right first before I even consider any audio setup.

Edited by GS418

Hmmm......if not too late, perhaps you should re-consider other configurations & set-up. Not an expert but generally you can achieve reasonably good sound production & audio experience for less than 3K as HU is stock.

Agreed. It was 3.5K for me, but I had went for the Rainbow slightly better speakers which RRP was $688 per set before installation and materials.

But if I had settled for Pioneer DSP, Amp and woofer, it would be below 3K! Haiz...Itchy finger and poison spreading.

Edited by GS418

Soundproofing contributed to a significant part of the cost ~1K. 3 layers each door and door seals. And I chose the most expensive (hopefully the most effective and robust one) which is double the price of several other brands. Today driving it and well, road noise is negligible! Can't even hear the sound of big trucks and bus when they are beside me. But of course, not many will spend so much on soundproofing which they cannot 'see' or 'hear'. My friend spent 8K and nothing done on soundproofing. So really up to individual where soundproofing is concerned.

So my main piority was to get soundproofing right first before I even consider any audio setup.

didnt do the floor, wheel arc and firewall? these will help in the overall soundproofing.
↡ Advertisement