What Did You Makan Today PT 5

BabyBlade

Just discovered Sin Heng porridge maybe 2 months back. Had porridge’s there for three times and I prefer Chai Chee’s Porridge after having it 2 weeks back. Anyway it’s really individual’s preference so no one is right or wrong

• Praise 1

For me Fengshan is nearer, walking distance across the PIE. However Sin Heng is near my work place and the parking there is much better and easier but the porridge taste is not up to mark for me. However my boss like the porridge there so i will have them on a weekly basis.

Sin heng kee is more convenient for me. Chai chee is a must have if i go fengshan.

I think SHK is about a 7/10. Chai chee is 8/10.

Tough life of hawkers.

Can't blame youngsters who want to just make it big and start franchises.

Doc as i watch this video, I am have this visceral feeling of being proud of these genuine individual hawkers who keep their tradition while working so very hard; yet I am angry with our authorities who only think of how to break-even or worse how to squeeze money from these honest workers. 

I dont buy my tibits eg sweets, can drinks from NTUC or these big franchise retail shop BUT buy from the independent shop eg mama shop even sometimes slightly more expensive. These people can really use our support.

Thank you for the very nice video.

• Praise 11

For me Fengshan is nearer, walking distance across the PIE. However Sin Heng is near my work place and the parking there is much better and easier but the porridge taste is not up to mark for me. However my boss like the porridge there so i will have them on a weekly basis.

you stay at Bedok Reservoir View ? 

Doc as i watch this video, I am have this visceral feeling of being proud of these genuine individual hawkers who keep their tradition while working so very hard; yet I am angry with our authorities who only think of how to break-even or worse how to squeeze money from these honest workers. 

I dont buy my tibits eg sweets, can drinks from NTUC or these big franchise retail shop BUT buy from the independent shop eg mama shop even sometimes slightly more expensive. These people can really use our support.

Thank you for the very nice video.

They are operating a business in a govt built hawker center with subsidised rental from the govt. Perspective please.

Of course, if there's reason to. I'll favour the mom&pop shops. I'd rather buy those bread buns from the HDB shops as compared to your four leaves/breadtalk etc as well.

They are operating a business in a govt built hawker center with subsidised rental from the govt. Perspective please.

Of course, if there's reason to. I'll favour the mom&pop shops. I'd rather buy those bread buns from the HDB shops as compared to your four leaves/breadtalk etc as well.

makansutra-founder-reveals-shocking-costs-for-hawkers-at-new-government-run-food-centres

• Praise 6

Sometimes I wish my fav stalls don't get too famous, because the line is already too long..

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/making-their-mark-on-history

This Yunos Satay is the best in SG..

Don't believe, come we can go and try together anytime... always up for it. And I know the owner - the queues are super long, but I get the royal wave..

ST_20180902_VLHALZJL_4248054.jpg?itok=yb

EVEN GRANDMA, 81, HELPS OUT

Mr Afiq Rezza Ezzat, the thirdgeneration member of a hawker family, says he wants to uphold his family's legacy.

The entirely family-run business, Yunos N Family, has been at Ang Mo Kio Central Market and Food Centre since 1979, before the 28-year-old was born.

His late grandfather started the business in the 1960s selling mee soto and other dishes from a hawker pushcart.

His father, Mr Ezzat Yunos, 55, manages the stall with the help of more than 10 family members who work shifts or on an ad hoc basis, including Mr Afiq's 81-year-old grandmother.

Even though he sometimes works from 6am to 10pm, Mr Afiq says he does not regret his decision to join the family business, where he works as a cook.

He says: "Family comes first. A part of me wants to give back.

"I saw how my father went through hardship in bringing me up." He adds: "I also want to make the hawker lifestyle cool again."

Mr Afiq uses a traditional pushcart, similar to the one his grandfather had, for catering events, such as one held at a nightclub last year.

His grandfather's recipes were passed to his father, who in turn passed them to Mr Afiq, the eldest of three sons.

Mr Ezzat, who helped his father at his pushcart as a child, remembers how the lack of running water then meant he had to sit on a small stool to wash dishes in a pail.

The experience made him appreciate the regulations and ratings systems, introduced in various forms in the late 1980s and late 1990s, which improved overall hygiene standards in the trade.

While tradition is held in high regard, Mr Ezzat, who has seven siblings, has also modernised some aspects of the business.

About 10 years ago, he broadened their food offerings, introducing dishes like mee rebus tarik, where pieces of satay are pulled (tarik means pull in Malay) from their skewers and added to the noodles, together with satay sauce.

He says: "We have to have the momentum to create something new."

• Praise 13