UCL/UEL/Other European Leagues 18/19

kdash

Spurs completely overwhelmed Bundesliga leaders Dortmund 3-0 n put them in good position to progress to the last 8 of the UCL. Poch showed why he is considered Man United’s top target for the Manager’s role as he did what Solskjaer could not.

Late goals from Vertonghen n Llorente plus an earlier Son goal meant the Germans go home with tails between their legs.

Real Madrid by Ajax 2-1 in Amsterdam n they remain firm favourites to go all the way.

Tonite is UEL action for Arsenal and Chelsea.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Maguire is also not the answer as he lacks speed.

The Man U defense weakness is slow centre backs that 

cannot beat fast strikers.

:D

ya very good point,

but centre back is not about speed also.

positioning / reading the game is more important.

cos u are at the back ,

every 1 is in front,

u are the only 1 that can see the whole game/field all the time. 

alot of famous centre still perform very solidly even when 30s speed slowing down, 

• Praise 4

Maguire is also not the answer as he lacks speed.

The Man U defense weakness is slow centre backs that

cannot beat fast strikers.

:D

Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli and Senegal is the rumoured CB Man United is going after but he will cost a bomb. These days, there is a severe shortage of quality defenders esp CBs. In fact think it is easier to get a striker than a CB!

• Praise 4

Spurs 2nd half was dominent. 1st half have to thank lloris for those saves.

Verts shows he can be a fantastic crosser sia.

Son the hero again with the 1st goal to set the tone for the most fantastic 2nd half display this season.

ya very good point,

but centre back is not about speed also.

positioning / reading the game is more important.

cos u are at the back ,

every 1 is in front,

u are the only 1 that can see the whole game/field all the time.

alot of famous centre still perform very solidly even when 30s speed slowing down,

Franco baresi springs to my mind. What a defender

Spurs 2nd half was dominent. 1st half have to thank lloris for those saves.

Verts shows he can be a fantastic crosser sia.

Son the hero again with the 1st goal to set the tone for the most fantastic 2nd half display this season.

Franco baresi springs to my mind. What a defender

[thumbsup] u must be 1 of the old bird, lol

[thumbsup] u must be 1 of the old bird, lol

Hehe. 90s soccer legend. Was still a boy then lor. Last time serie a highlights every sunday. Quite fun then. And barrsi. Maldini. Costacurta all super top class.
  • Praise 1

Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli and Senegal is the rumoured CB Man United is going after but he will cost a bomb. These days, there is a severe shortage of quality defenders esp CBs. In fact think it is easier to get a striker than a CB!

pay $150mil for VVD!! haha...
  • Praise 1

Chelsea won 2-1 at Malmo in the UEL round of 32 whilst Arsenal surprisingly lost 0-1 at BATE Borisov. All not lost yet as second leg in a week’s time.

Other winners include Sevilla who has won this competition the most times, Napoli, Inter Milan n Valencia. Don’t forget winners get a route to the UCL next season.

• Praise 2

Hehe. 90s soccer legend. Was still a boy then lor. Last time serie a highlights every sunday. Quite fun then. And barrsi. Maldini. Costacurta all super top class.

Italians perfected the art of defending. Their defenders almost always [thumbsup]

pay $150mil for VVD!! haha...

dowan. rearrange the numbers a bit, maybe will consider [laugh]

• Praise 1

Chelsea won 2-1 at Malmo in the UEL round of 32 whilst Arsenal surprisingly lost 0-1 at BATE Borisov. All not lost yet as second leg in a week’s time.

Other winners include Sevilla who has won this competition the most times, Napoli, Inter Milan n Valencia. Don’t forget winners get a route to the UCL next season.

hope Chelsea will pick up the pieces after the big weekend defeat, and get the most out of the season still...

Should go and study Utd's defeat and then try to replicate it on Tue. If let Utd win, then chances of finishing 4th will reduce further...

Both Chelsea and Arsenal - will they target the UEL as alternative route to UCL next season?

i think chelsea n arsenal didnt take there so call 'smaller team' seriously  enough

hope Chelsea will pick up the pieces after the big weekend defeat, and get the most out of the season still...

Should go and study Utd's defeat and then try to replicate it on Tue. If let Utd win, then chances of finishing 4th will reduce further...

Both Chelsea and Arsenal - will they target the UEL as alternative route to UCL next season?

Yes Arsenal and Chelsea will have to go all out for UEL as this offers them another route to UCL. Trouble is there are 4 k/o rounds (8 matches) before the Final itself and k/o Football is tricky n not always the best team wins n with quality teams left like Valencia, Benfica, Inter Milan n Napoli amongst others, its not a sure thing.

This weekend’s FA Cup game Chelsea v Man United is anyone’s game. The 2 defences are not the best so goals can come by but United’s attack seems stronger but it also depends on how the respective Mgrs set up their team. Tuchel of PSG won the tactical battle on Tues but I’m not sure if Sarri who only plays one way can emulate him. Even Pep sometimes changes his way of playing though admittedly not often but Sarri is Sarriball only! Solskjaer is more flexible but inexperienced I feel but he has made the atmosphere positive which is a plus.

• Praise 3

i think chelsea n arsenal didnt take there so call 'smaller team' seriously enough

Actually they both played quite strong teams though Chelsea didn’t start Hazard and Kante. The Swedes were physical but they are in the midst of a winter break hence they were somewhat rusty. Chelsea hv loss confidence after the drubbing by City.

Arsenal left Ramsey and Ozil (this one no real surprise)out. But the Gunners are always vulnerable in this type of games esp away from home but I believe they will overcome BATE at Emirates as quality shld shine at home.

• Praise 2

If u watch the whole game and also comments from many pundits, it was men vs boys.

PSG had guile, pace n skill in abundance. They dominated midfield with Veratti and Marquinhos particularly outstanding and if u see the second goal by Mbappe, he was about 5 yds behind Bailly n Lindelof and could still overtake them to score. United had only 1 shot on target throughout the 90 mins.

Mbappe is the world's best forward player to me. Pace, power, touch, speed of thought.

His goals were all simple but there because of his anticipation and pure speed.

I've been saying this ever since i heard the astronomical sums being asked for him at monaco. 

He proved it at the world cup and unfortunately as long as showboater neymar is there, he will find it difficult to prove it at PSG.

There was a website article that Solksjaer put in Bailly to stop a gazelle, but unfortunately mbappe is a panther  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

Mbappe is the world's best forward player to me. Pace, power, touch, speed of thought.

His goals were all simple but there because of his anticipation and pure speed.

I've been saying this ever since i heard the astronomical sums being asked for him at monaco.

He proved it at the world cup and unfortunately as long as showboater neymar is there, he will find it difficult to prove it at PSG.

There was a website article that Solksjaer put in Bailly to stop a gazelle, but unfortunately mbappe is a panther [laugh]

Haha good one on the gazelle vs panther analogy
  • Praise 4

Both UCL games Pool v Bayern and Lyon v Barcelona ended goalless this morning.

The away sides may feel they are better off as they can now finish the tie off at home in 3 weeks time but I beg to differ as by failing to score an away goal, a scoring draw in the return leg will mean Pool and Lyon go thru! Away goals have proven many times to be the difference in k/o games as the ties are often very close.

Tonite will feature last 2 Round of 16 games, Schalke v City and Ath Madrid v Juventus.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2