Boot camp for women to experience NS

Theoldjaffa

SEES OVERWHELMING DEMAND WOR  :XD: 

MCF LADIES - what say you? :grin:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/boot-camp-for-women-to-experience-ns-sees-overwhelming-demand-more-than-1000-gun-for-100

SINGAPORE - Would you pay to stay in a military bunk, eat combat rations and go on a route march?

More than 1,000 women of all ages jumped at the chance to do so, signing up for a women's boot camp to experience what national service is like.

Response for the overnight camp was so overwhelming that the organiser, Ang Mo Kio Women's Executive Committee (WEC), had to conduct balloting for the 100 slots up for grabs.

The camp, which the organiser promoted as a "golden opportunity" to go through NS activities, will take place from Sept 1 to 2 at Maju Camp in Clementi.

Participants will take part in a 3km route march, handle the SAR21 rifle and taste combat rations, among other activities. The women will also get to stay overnight in military bunks.

Each participant pays $55. PAssion card members get a $10 discount.

The camp was announced on July 17 in a Facebook post by the Women's Integration Network Council, which is the coordinating body for the 105 WECs in Singapore. The post attracted almost 3,000 shares and more than 2,000 comments.

Among the 100 who managed to secure a place for the camp, the youngest participant is 13 years old, while the oldest is 64, the organising committee told The Straits Times. The average age of the participants is about 29.

Ms Joanna Portilla, chairman of Ang Mo Kio WEC, said: "Through this camp, the organisers hope to give women a glimpse of what our national servicemen go through so that they can better relate to national servicemen's experiences and demonstrate stronger support and involvement in NS and defence.

"We are very grateful for the overwhelming response from the public. This shows that women are keen to play a part in supporting national service."

Those who failed to clinch a spot will be notified from Sunday (Aug 19) onwards. Ms Portilla added that the committee is open to the possibility of organising similar initiatives in the future.

The camp is part of an initiative by the Advisory Council on Community Relations in Defence (Accord) which facilitates initiatives from the community that better support national defence and NS, among other roles.

The success of the Dads for Life Camp, which saw more than 200 father-son pairs take part in an overnight camp at the F1 Pit Building last year, inspired Accord to suggest a similar experience for women, said Ms Portilla. That camp was organised by the Centre for Fathering.

Administrative executive Tabatha Lim, 19, will be joining the upcoming camp with a friend.

Ms Lim, who is excited about being able to handle the SAR21 rifle, told ST: "I was really excited when I got to know about the boot camp as I have always been very curious about what it's like to serve NS.

"We spend a lot of time listening to so many stories from our male friends, brothers, fathers, and we never got to experience it ourselves unless we decide to sign on with the army. So this is the perfect opportunity to do so."

Civil servant Lee Yet Wei, 30, also applied to join the women's camp because she was curious about NS life, and what it is like to stay in the bunks. She said: "Such an opportunity doesn't always come by, and it is an experience I am looking forward to."

Edited by Theoldjaffa
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Good that the ladies are taking interest to know what we have went through. 

But, only 1 night, i wonder what they can experience  ? In-process and out process already at least half day gone, should at least 1 week stay in Tekong; only can use phone during admin hour, out-field at least for one night, 5BX for that one whole week. 

• Praise 3

Lack too many things like the lack of sleep experience, tekan session, outfield activitives, sign extra aka weekend confinement etc etc.

Edited by Watwheels

But, only 1 night, i wonder what they can experience ? In-process and out process already at least half day gone, should at least 1 week stay in Tekong; only can use phone during admin hour, out-field at least for one night, 5BX for that one whole week.

One night is enough lah. Make them do water parade before sleep then turn out at 12 midnight to stand by bed then get a siao dindong rsm to give the order -“I want the bed and cupboard at the parade square in 10mins. GO! GOOO!! GOOOO!!!”

Of course, not forgetting the 5bx before breakfast at 5am.

No one will stay for lunch even if offered.

• Praise 2

But, only 1 night, i wonder what they can experience  ? In-process and out process already at least half day gone, should at least 1 week stay in Tekong; only can use phone during admin hour, out-field at least for one night, 5BX for that one whole week. 

they wont went through wat we went through,

the physical parts yes.

not the mental and tekan parts,

• Praise 1

I think this initiative will do more harm than good.

At least last time we can go back and tell them how shitty and crap the out field or route march had been. How we kenna turn out  or how we kenna tekan. 

Now, just be because of the 2 day 1 night watered down exposure for them, they come back thinking that it is a nice outward bound school experience and we had been bulls**tting them all these while.

Immediately our contribution to the nation discount by half. 

-_-

• Praise 13

wah...got include shaving head at tekong barber and then forced to dance around the barber chair shouting "botak botak" or not?

[rolleyes]  :D

• Praise 4

You were forced to dance ?

last time my hair its like metal rock band so long,

i went in, they left a pony tail , then all botah, 

thats not all, they stop cutting just like that,

i had to go around camp like that for 1 day.

next day then they finish the hair cut.

the sgt also dun say any thing, laugh among themself nia.

really at their mercy.

and it turn out i am 1 of the 1 that is marching left hand left leg. [;)]

• Praise 4

Good initiative, however i really wonder what can be generated from it !!

The girl , ladies wannabe should be given a weekends trial,( the least )  start Friday reporting at 0600 am to Sunday 2359pm to experience Recruit MBT reporting in Alibaba bag in camouflage uniform. ( to be issued in advance )

ITINERARY:

* Friday - MBT style training and Introduction to section stand-by bed, toilet cleaning and fall-in en masse

* Saturday - Combat bayonet fighting and Jungle warfare / Bayonet stripping and assembly of SAR21, throw a grenade  and lay cluster mine-field and built beach obstacles. Conduct night firing lacer 100m range. Hahaha, 

After lunch - Run up " Peng Gang hill " at Safti-Kana. Take bumb-boat to P. Tekong and stay at night in mosquito infested double-bed bunks, Jump in an armour tank or a do a amphibious crossing at Seletar. Plus a night march at LIM CHU KANG Chinese cemetery would be enriching experience.

* Sunday - Half may go AWOL by then . . .  [laugh]

they wont went through wat we went through,

the physical parts yes.

not the mental and tekan parts,

Will they be entitled to off days when 'period' comes ... :slow:  

No training, rest in barracks .. :wut:

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

One night is enough lah. Make them do water parade before sleep then turn out at 12 midnight to stand by bed then get a siao dindong rsm to give the order -“I want the bed and cupboard at the parade square in 10mins. GO! GOOO!! GOOOO!!!”

Of course, not forgetting the 5bx before breakfast at 5am.

add for you:

pull up before every meal.

and

see that tree there! I want you to run there, pick a leaf and run back. Hurry up!!!!

No one will stay for lunch even if offered.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement