Coated, still getting water marks and scratches

Guysmokey

The PPS coat is just microns thick, so I doubt it will provide scratch protection.

It is just useful in repelling water and stains if they are wiped off within hours.

Hence, it is not worth paying over $300 for 2 coats as the PPS chemical and other consumables are not that expensive.

• Praise 2

The PPS coat is just microns thick, so I doubt it will provide scratch protection.

It is just useful in repelling water and stains if they are wiped off within hours.

Hence, it is not worth paying over $300 for 2 coats as the PPS chemical and other consumables are not that expensive.

Mostly are profits for the bosses.

good feedback on 9H. Water may beads but if not wipe away and dries on paint, the minerals & dirt still stay on the paint. The counter is the more often wipe & wash, the faster the 9H gets destroy.

Hi all,

last year my new car was coated (i paid over $1k for it) by one of the more reputable coating companies. Car was only 2 days old when it was coated.

6 months later, there were scratches on the boot surface, and water marks on boot, roof and bonnet. The applied hydrophobic effects on the windscreen is also gone. I sent the car back to touch up.

Another 8 months later, I had to respray certain panels because I cannot take the scratches. Yup, some ppl scratched my car. But besides that, I have many lines near the door handle, and lines on the bonnet and boot. I've never put anything on them.

The guy who repainted my car told me the water marks on my car very bad. I told him cos I park outdoor daily, thats why I know. I did coating to prevent, also cannot. I have to send it back to be re-coated.

So after 1 year 2 months of ownership, I don't think I get what I paid for. Maybe coating is not suitable for people who park outdoors. 

Am I the only one who feels that coating was over-rated? Or it has limited capabilities when it comes to handling the harsh weather, especially for people who park outdoors. What could be a better solution? (besides clean the car everyday! haha)

Hi Guysmokey,

I feel for you and understand your frustration as a car owner. I am quite confident that your car was not on Ceramic Pro that RogerNg_185295 had asked. If any of our Ceramic Pro appointed applicators gets to know that you want to prevent watermark and scratches with a coating, they will have done expectation management control and share what they were taught during the lessons on why it may or is may not be possible and how to make the impossible, possible. 

Everything has their threshold. A good coating will have better durability, higher threshold. Most important, damages on coating will be able to be reversed after removing the damaged coating. Many coatings in the market will not be able to take water spots issues and will etch into the paintwork immediately especially on softer paint.

If you need any advice, assistance or alternatives, do let me know. We will be able to share general preventive measures with you even though you are not our customer.

Is it ceramic pro?

Hi RogerNg_185295,

Why ask if its Ceramic Pro ONLY?

1. TS had not mentioned what was coated on his car right?
  2. He mentioned he got it done above 1K. There are many company’s services are around that range too.

There are many “coatings” “ceramic” “9h” “Pro” “nano” “sealent” around and are above 1K

Your target question purpose is? Does it contribute to ease TS’s frustration? Does it leads to a healthy informative place to the public?

You GAVE readers a FLASE impression that Ceramic Pro is known to have these issues which you had not used before in the 1st place.

Quote you a recent misleading incident on mycarforum. An screenshot showing “FINDING CERAMIC PRO EXPENSIVE? TRY XXXX    XXXXXX XX. ABC Company” This company clearly says that what they use is identical to Ceramic Pro and it is a cheaper alternative. We can easily take further action against them but has been kind till date to let the matter go.

Be responsible and sensitive in what you are going to post in future. No one like enemy.  Forum in a place to share knowledge, ideas, widen everyone's sight. Not to create unnecessery stirs. I beleive moderators do not like that too.

Water spots issues are the most complains all around the world on any surface. They can be found in our home too. As long as the condition is right, these white rings will form. And if they are not taken care of immediately, they will start to etch onto the surface within days. More details can be found throughout the forum or uncle google will be able to explain better.

Just for sharing, the latest version of Ceramic Pro 9H is to combat against water spots. During the recent revamp of Ceramic Pro Packages, we had included Primary Water Spots removal service for free as a value-add service. Base on record, no one has claimed for this free service yet till date. This is applicable only for those on the latest version of Ceramic Pro 9H.

Edited by CeramicPROSingapore
  • Praise 1

So if i park outdoors daily, not recommended to go for PPS?

I find that after doing coating, will be reluctant to park any where that is not sheltered. This in the end, defeats the purpose of having a car. Perhaps it will be better for new car owners to just not do any coating first for say half a year to a year, then see if they are okay with the condition of the car before deciding whether to give PPS a go.

• Praise 2

Why have we becomed slaves to our cars? They are supposed to serve us! For 10 years, forget the coatings and just do the usual waxing, either diy or in grooming workshops. I like to share this link in Youtube, it provides better insight to this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MmQhNwqxk

Muhahaha.. this guy is swisswax CEO. Swisswax only manufacture premium wax. His answer is obvious. Edited by Maddriver

I find that after doing coating, will be reluctant to park any where that is not sheltered. This in the end, defeats the purpose of having a car. Perhaps it will be better for new car owners to just not do any coating first for say half a year to a year, then see if they are okay with the condition of the car before deciding whether to give PPS a go.

Thanks, both my residence and work place has no sheltered parking and I seldom wash car ...maybe once every 2 months kind

• Praise 1

I derive conclusions and make decisions based on my own set of reasoning. Depending on the role of the car, coatings may or may not be necessary. If the car is used to ferry VIPs daily, then coatings may be better. If it is used daily and mostly bet work and home, maybe not. Rather spend the money to improve the quality of ride than the aesthetic aspects of it.

That being said, there are some ads here that costs less than $150 for their coatings. I wonder what these coatings will bring if a 1K type falls below expectations so soon.

I derive conclusions and make decisions based on my own set of reasoning. Depending on the role of the car, coatings may or may not be necessary. If the car is used to ferry VIPs daily, then coatings may be better. If it is used daily and mostly bet work and home, maybe not. Rather spend the money to improve the quality of ride than the aesthetic aspects of it.

That being said, there are some ads here that costs less than $150 for their coatings. I wonder what these coatings will bring if a 1K type falls below expectations so soon.

That is an excellent point.

The main reason I went to do a coating shortly after collecting my ride was that hopefully, it will make the washing (maintenance) part much easier (water runs off more easily, easier to dry off, etc.)

But I also know that it is not going to last forever, even with me washing the car every week. This is especially more so if the car is parked out in the open almost on a daily basis.

All I can say for now after about one month of the coating, it is still holding up well with weekly washing and maybe just 3 days out of a week parking outdoors. Will continue to monitor the condition.

• Praise 1

I share my 2 cents on wax vs coating. 15 years ago, we started with wax and sealant and no such thing as coatings. Back then I spend approximately 2-3 hours doing wash and applying sealant. I wasn’t a fan of wax btw although it does give me a wetter finished as compared to sealant which I find more lasting and more resistant to water spotting.

The sealant and the shine literally lasted about 3 months before I need to reapply again. Each time I will spend 4-6hrs polishing and re-applying the sealant to make it shine etc..those were the bachelor days I can spend lot of time on detailing.

And now, I basically have no time for such activities, I slap on a layer of the coating 3 years ago and I would just wash it weekly and occasionally applying those spray form of sealant or a detailer just to maintain it. I spend less than an hour doing this. Well, other than those chips and fine hairlines, the shine remains as good as new and some will ask me if is a new car.

To me, coating is like a sealant on steroid. The gloss tends to stay longer and less effort in maintaining it.

The sealant tends to be more water spotting resistance but down side re-applying require more time. The trick of minimising water spotting on surface is simple. Keep the surface slick and smooth. The solvent or some people call it oil or whatever will prevent any bird poos or soil water spotting etch into surface fast.

What I do is I will apply a spray sealant, detailer or a spray wax on horizontal surfaces only after wash. Not so concern on vertical panel.

Technology moves fast, all sealant or wax in spray form.. back then they are in liquid or paste and applying them is really pain in the arse.

Edited by Maddriver
  • Praise 3