Coated, still getting water marks and scratches

Guysmokey

I share my 2 cents on wax vs coating. 15 years ago, we started with wax and sealant and no such thing as coatings. Back then I spend approximately 2-3 hours doing wash and applying sealant. I wasn’t a fan of wax btw although it does give me a wetter finished as compared to sealant which I find more lasting and more resistant to water spotting.

The sealant and the shine literally lasted about 3 months before I need to reapply again. Each time I will spend 4-6hrs polishing and re-applying the sealant to make it shine etc..those were the bachelor days I can spend lot of time on detailing.

What I do is I will apply a spray sealant, detailer or a spray wax on horizontal surfaces only after wash. Not so concern on vertical panel.

Technology moves fast, all sealant or wax in spray form.. back then they are in liquid or paste and applying them is really pain in the arse.

What are your views on spray on/wipe off coating vs spray on/wipe off sealant? Which brand of spray on sealant is cheap and good? 

Also can give tips on how to wash and wax the roof of the car? Stand too far, can only reach the edges; stand too near, touch the sides of the car, shirt get wet.

I am not a native English speaker so I might misunderstand the original post.

Coating clearly seems insufficient to provide protection.

I had my car entirely wrapped with a vinyl covering. That represents a true layer. The cover is not visible at all.

The greatest thing is that it is possible to cover the most exposed areas: bumpers, around the door handles, door thresholds...

• Praise 1

How is the coating? Is it holding up well?

That is an excellent point.

The main reason I went to do a coating shortly after collecting my ride was that hopefully, it will make the washing (maintenance) part much easier (water runs off more easily, easier to dry off, etc.)

But I also know that it is not going to last forever, even with me washing the car every week. This is especially more so if the car is parked out in the open almost on a daily basis.

All I can say for now after about one month of the coating, it is still holding up well with weekly washing and maybe just 3 days out of a week parking outdoors. Will continue to monitor the condition.

Supersonic

If cannot tahan, then respray once a year the bonnet/trunk.  Will cost less than the 1K coating I think.

Simi ceramic, nano, atomic coating all bluff ppl one lah. At the PDI stage, the car would've been polished and that would easily last 6 mths (or more). Many kena con by these 'detailers' that the coating will last 2 yrs and all that's needed is water is BS.

I juz use ah pek HG88 polish n get free exercise 3 times a year and paintwork still shiny w no water marks

• Praise 1

I used to use HG 88 too (started the 90's), the little blue rectangular bottle is a good product.  Now too lazy liao, now just MG - Maid's Gloss using shampoo (with wax) and water.....

Simi ceramic, nano, atomic coating all bluff ppl one lah. At the PDI stage, the car would've been polished and that would easily last 6 mths (or more). Many kena con by these 'detailers' that the coating will last 2 yrs and all that's needed is water is BS.

I juz use ah pek HG88 polish n get free exercise 3 times a year and paintwork still shiny w no water marks

Supersonic

I used to use HG 88 too (started the 90's), the little blue rectangular bottle is a good product.  Now too lazy liao, now just MG - Maid's Gloss using shampoo (with wax) and water.....

Hahaa...simi Maid's Gloss? 'Natural extract' from her oily glands?..... [:p]

any bro here can share lobang or method to remove scratches on my door glass.

brought my car for dent repair (recommended by mcf) repair indoor so never see. go out under bright sun saw many scratches from the tools he use to slot in from the window.

the dent removal is good lah but i see my glass like that i upset. my car got ppc so i dont know if is the coating scratch or the glass scratch.

(edited)

Likely the glass is scratched.

I always called on the Korean dent removal guy to fix my dents and bruised ego.

He is quite solid and honest about the level of fix he can achieve.

He has a thread somewhere in this forum.

Edited by awhtc

Neutral Newbie
On 7/27/2019 at 12:02 AM, j2ee said:

Any good product to take care nano coating?

Got a few products u can use... Usng a iron remover would be a good way to keep the surface clean. 

Sometimes when the coating is not beading so well or sheeting water so nicely is not because coating wears out, the coating is still there but there is a layer of dirt over the coating hence giving us the false impression it's not lasting. Using iron remover can help decon the coating surface from iron fallout particles and also restore the coating performance. 

After that u can top up with those ceramic sealant preferably using the same brand as your coating. This will help extend your coating lifespan. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2