2019 5th Generation Subaru Forester (SK)

richard_crl032

Hey bros, 

I did a test drive on the old Forester last week.....
Struggle with overtaking. Is it underpowered? 

Of course, I'm not expecting it to behave like a turbocharged FXT...but. It feels just unable to overtake anyone in front. 
I haven't compared its power with comparables like CRV, CX5 etc.... 

So I'm in a dilemma... 
The price is good, the boxer feel is great and it drives just differently with other SUVs. But the power....... I haven't tried it in the S-mode though. 
I was hoping that the new Forester would be better, but reviews say that it's not any more nimble. 

Should I get the old one with this good price? Or wait? 

↡ Advertisement

Some people just want to burn money and get the new launch model. They take a higher loan 

Past experience, new launch usually will be more ex. Price should drop substantially in next few months! Have waited for 6 months, really don’t mind to wait for another few months

• Praise 1

I'm seriously in dilemma of Tucson 1.6T and new Forester 2.0,

Tucson wins over Forester points:

Engine power, 175hp vs 156hp,  265Nm vs 198Nm

road tax, 1.6L vs 2.0L, $738 vs $1208

Fuel Consumption, 14.1 vs 15.3 (highly doubt),

Transmission: DCT vs CVT 

Forester Wins over Tucson points:

Drivetrains: AWD vs FWD 

Safety: 7 Airbags vs 6 Airbags

Price:

Tucson 1.6T: 115k --- 122k

New Forester: 110k ---  120k ???

Edited by MQX87511

Price:

Can do three way cross comparison with X-trail if you are considering New forester.

Have you test drive?

Beyond the spec, a test drvie will give you a better ideas of the car handling, feel, comfort etc.

Can do three way cross comparison with X-trail if you are considering New forester.

Have you test drive?

Beyond the spec, a test drvie will give you a better ideas of the car handling, feel, comfort etc.

Tested Tucson and felt power decent but no significant surprised and turbo lag obviously  no chance test on expressway, cannot give a comprehensive evaluation,

in my impression X-Trail underpowered, kerb weight even heavier than Tucson and Forester, but 2.0L also only 142hp far lower than Forester and Tucson

wait for New forester launch, if it's not very attractable price tag, prepare to sign Tucson liao 

Edited by MQX87511
  • Praise 2

Price:

You are not alone in this dilemma. Facelift Tucson also got nice interior. You should take a test drive for both and feel yourself about drive,  space inside and overall outer visibility from the cabin. 

You can also add high insurance for Subaru brand especially if you do not have NCD 50% 

Forester is Made in Japan (SG choice :p)

Tested Tucson and felt power decent but no significant surprised and turbo lag obviously no chance test on expressway, cannot give a comprehensive evaluation,

in my impression X-Trail underpowered, kerb weight even heavier than Tucson and Forester, but 2.0L also only 142hp far lower than Forester and Tucson

wait for New forester launch, if it's not very attractable price tag, prepare to sign Tucson liao

Wait for another 2 mth for Skoda Karoq? U can test drive their 1.4L turbo 7 seater atm. The 5 seater Karoq 1.5L turbo should drive better due to higher performance and weight ratio than the 7 seater

Hey bros, 

I did a test drive on the old Forester last week.....

Struggle with overtaking. Is it underpowered? 

Of course, I'm not expecting it to behave like a turbocharged FXT...but. It feels just unable to overtake anyone in front. 

I haven't compared its power with comparables like CRV, CX5 etc.... 

So I'm in a dilemma... 

The price is good, the boxer feel is great and it drives just differently with other SUVs. But the power....... I haven't tried it in the S-mode though. 

I was hoping that the new Forester would be better, but reviews say that it's not any more nimble. 

Should I get the old one with this good price? Or wait? 

Since u mentioned about underpower and not nimble, what car are you comparing against? 

Price:

This comparison seems to point to Tucson.  Hoot Tucson then!

But old forester is still best value.  20k cheaper than Tucson.

More COEs for next quarter!

Oh no, should hoot during upcoming car show or wait longer??

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/more-coes-available-from-november

Don’t let the headlines fool you bro!

Assuming you are looking at the forester (or any Cat B cars for that matter), number of COE actually dropped by 58 per quarter!

Cat A on the other hand has more than 300 increase per quarter. Likely to see further drops in pricing for Cat A cars.

Conclusion: Faster go hoot the forester!!!

Edited by eggroe
  • Praise 2

Have you test drive?

X-Trail is very heavy and under power. Also almost end of life soon.

Don’t let the headlines fool you bro!

Assuming you are looking at the forester (or any Cat B cars for that matter), number of COE actually dropped by 58 per quarter!

Cat A on the other hand has more than 300 increase per quarter. Likely to see further drops in pricing for Cat A cars.

Conclusion: Faster go hoot the forester!!!

Hi Richard,

Yes i am lining myself up for future hybrid model if ever brought in.

Your M6 was another consideration on my list but i go with the lower depreciation one and space first.

Cheers

Mo

Hi Mo,

Make sense for forester fna compared to m6 for family on mentioned space ... it is a happy car.

Since I already have forest xt and mazda is for wife to get to and fro work monday to friday, it did not make sense for the fna in place of the m6.

Cheers.

Richard

I just realized the updated prices are inclusive of trade-in, in house loan and insurance, which is $5000 down from the list price, so actually the list price didn't change at all....sorry bros for not making it clear.

Hi everbb,

No problem .. your intention was good in sharing and still very appreciated especially on the correction .. tks again !

Cheers.

Richard

Wonder what justify a 7k difference? There is a period when Fxt is just 8 to 9k apart from Fna. These include Turbo engine, premium sound systems, auto rear door, suspension, higher gear ratio etc

Hi Lot,

Indeed not justifiable except that MI do not have xt version as alternative this time and it is just marketing BS and tiering to cream more dough ...

Cheers.

Richard

Why shld MI (or any money making organisation) earn less profit for us?

It's our money. We buy what we think is worth our money. Else boycott the brand

Over here, Glen Tan cannot see your message.

Hahaha..... the money not shiok, but the way the forester drives... just draws me to it. Sometimes heart over the head... hahaha

• Praise 1

Since u mentioned about underpower and not nimble, what car are you comparing against? 

Ok. I know I'm going to be gunned down by this. It's the 1.4l Tiguan. Okok... I know it's $140K+, a totally different league. 

For those who own this or have test driven... is the power enough to use for overtaking? 

I brought the Tiguan out on Jervois Road to test. Too much body roll. 

Wanted to bring the Forester there to test drive, but it was not allowed (due to insurance issues as claimed by SE - only designated road allowed). So, just brought the forester to drive straight to Queenstown MRT, U-turn and back. So don't know how is the body roll. ONly can try accelerating and that was when I felt that it was underpowered. 

Ok. I know I'm going to be gunned down by this. It's the 1.4l Tiguan. Okok... I know it's $140K+, a totally different league. 

For those who own this or have test driven... is the power enough to use for overtaking? 

I brought the Tiguan out on Jervois Road to test. Too much body roll. 

Wanted to bring the Forester there to test drive, but it was not allowed (due to insurance issues as claimed by SE - only designated road allowed). So, just brought the forester to drive straight to Queenstown MRT, U-turn and back. So don't know how is the body roll. ONly can try accelerating and that was when I felt that it was underpowered. 

if you want to test body roll, why not go to toa payoh motor image ? there got alot corners.....i tested the FXT and FNA there, FXT is highly addictive and road grip is impressive

Edited by Lomfy

if you want to test body roll, why not go to toa payoh motor image ? there got alot corners.....i tested the FXT and FNA there, FXT is highly addictive and road grip is impressive

Oh? Thanks for this great info!! I completely forgot that they have a showroom at TP! hahaha. 

No issues with SE right? I understand that MI has this tagging system - once you are tagged to an SE, cannot log out of it after 1 year. 

↡ Advertisement