2019 5th Generation Subaru Forester (SK)

richard_crl032

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Cost cutting went too far.

All you get is half a headlight.

:D

006_o.jpg

Not bad liao, at least the face doesn't have any lobang, unlike this million $$$ EV, the big lobang must have save Lotus a handsome amount. :D:D

evija-carousel-4.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Not bad liao, at least the face doesn't have any lobang, unlike this million $$$ EV, the big lobang must have save Lotus a handsome amount. :D:D

evija-carousel-4.jpg

More like lobang very ex 😂

That being said, maybe the lobang on the Lotus will give you a big "lobang" when you buy and drive it in terms of career progression 🥴

• Haha! 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:19 PM, Notknow11 said:

I would think the power and torque for the 1.8T is sufficient in SG. People will always complaint power not enough. Even Evo driver switching to GTR and wants more. 

1.8T specs seems quite far off from 2.0T, or maybe its been detuned for emissions

vs

1.8T is sufficient in Sg or not, are 2 different things la

Neutral Newbie

Hi All, I'm first time car buyer. Just visited a few AD showrooms today. Surprisingly Subaru SE quoted me higher price than sgcarmart list price which should have been increased as he advised.  His offer price only includes 2.5 yrs/50km free servicing. He also mentioned the price will be further increased by 3k next week... Is that true? 

Other car brand SE also refused to give me any single cent discount and offered me the best price same with sgcarmart list price.... Every SE told me the price will be further increased next week... 

I'm thinking if this is their selling strategy? 

Would like to have your advice, please!!! Thanks!!

On 8/29/2021 at 12:15 AM, aileen80 said:

Hi All, I'm first time car buyer. Just visited a few AD showrooms today. Surprisingly Subaru SE quoted me higher price than sgcarmart list price which should have been increased as he advised.  His offer price only includes 2.5 yrs/50km free servicing. He also mentioned the price will be further increased by 3k next week... Is that true? 

Other car brand SE also refused to give me any single cent discount and offered me the best price same with sgcarmart list price.... Every SE told me the price will be further increased next week... 

I'm thinking if this is their selling strategy? 

Would like to have your advice, please!!! Thanks!!

If I am not wrong, sgcarmart prices are taken from the distributor so there could be a lag in the price updates especially when the prices are volatile. My experience with them is that there are very few negotiations on the official price that can be done. You might get some freebies, a slightly better trade-in price if you are trading in or some very minor modification to the sales agreement. However, there is no harm in trying to negotiate and in fact you should because this is a high ticket item. For example, you may get a discount if you are willing to buy a car which was manufactured last year. This is quite unlikely as most dealers would have gotten rid of them by now and have reduced their inventory because of market uncertainties. There could also be showroom or demo models which has been on display for some time.  Of course, this is if you are willing to accept them.

No SE will ever tell you that the price will drop. The one who tells you that a particular model's price will drop will also say that there are no stock for that model for the next 6 months 😕. Car price is heavily dependent on COE and no one can predict what the COE price will be. The $3K amount is probably an arbitrary figure. The price will go up if the COE goes up. This seems to be an uptrend now but it is not a given.

At the end of the day, if you have a shortlist of the cars you want, negotiate with each dealer and then decide based on your budget and requirement.  

• Praise 1

New Wilderness variant to be unveiled on 2 September 2021.

2022-subaru-forester-wilderness.jpg

The new Forester Wilderness gets a host of upgrades that make it more capable than your standard Forester. It’s not a dedicated off-roader, but it does feature some serious upgrades that should please some enthusiasts. Subaru improved the looks by adding extra body cladding, 17-inch black-painted wheels wrapped in all-terrain tires, and a raised ride height thanks to a suspension tune. Subaru also increased the roof rails’ load capacity, which should be able to handle extra gear you’d need off-roading.

The upgraded looks arrive with some upgraded mechanicals. The Forester Wilderness receives a new CVT with a lower gear ratio designed for better low-range power. Subaru also modifies the transfer case and rear differential reduction gear ratio. However, the gearbox will pairs with Subaru’s non-turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 182HP and 239Nm of torque. Subaru does give the oily bits added protection with underbody skid plates.

• Praise 6

On 9/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, kermitfm said:

If I am not wrong, sgcarmart prices are taken from the distributor so there could be a lag in the price updates especially when the prices are volatile. My experience with them is that there are very few negotiations on the official price that can be done. You might get some freebies, a slightly better trade-in price if you are trading in or some very minor modification to the sales agreement. However, there is no harm in trying to negotiate and in fact you should because this is a high ticket item. For example, you may get a discount if you are willing to buy a car which was manufactured last year. This is quite unlikely as most dealers would have gotten rid of them by now and have reduced their inventory because of market uncertainties. There could also be showroom or demo models which has been on display for some time.  Of course, this is if you are willing to accept them.

No SE will ever tell you that the price will drop. The one who tells you that a particular model's price will drop will also say that there are no stock for that model for the next 6 months 😕. Car price is heavily dependent on COE and no one can predict what the COE price will be. The $3K amount is probably an arbitrary figure. The price will go up if the COE goes up. This seems to be an uptrend now but it is not a given.

At the end of the day, if you have a shortlist of the cars you want, negotiate with each dealer and then decide based on your budget and requirement.  

Thanks for your thought.  I've placed deposit for Forester.  Hope it's a wise choice. 😁

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

@aileen80 Hope you like it too.  The Forester is not a 'popular' SUV but if you know what it was designed for and is happy with the compromises, it is a good all-rounder. The one I am driving now is my second one. 

• Praise 1

46 minutes ago, kermitfm said:

@aileen80 Hope you like it too.  The Forester is not a 'popular' SUV but if you know what it was designed for and is happy with the compromises, it is a good all-rounder. The one I am driving now is my second one. 

Any reason why Forester is not a 'popular' SUV le?

well for 1, there is not much difference between the XV and the forester anymore, in fact the XV looks a bit better in my opinion. Forester is more rugged but already loses the XT capabilities, + using a CVT gearbox only makes it more sluggish.

With all wheel drive does make it better in handling than other SUV, but also makes it a drinker. Not very efficient now in terms of fuel prices. 

Built quality is basic japanese, cannot compare with Mazda. Still quite a bit of hard plastics, maybe more lasting?

Not really a fan of Subaru so might be biased, but if you ask me to choose, I will choose XV / Outback over Forester because it looks better at least.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Any reason why Forester is not a 'popular' SUV le?

Coz no more XT and the price. The SJ NA last time when clearing stock was selling for around 90k which many thinks is VFM. 

• Praise 2

When I said 'not popular' I meant the following:
Brand name recognition: People identify more with the three Jap brands - Toyota, Honda and Mazda and kinda put Subaru behind these. Then there are the Korean brands - Hyundai and Kia which have to most people a nicer looking design

Maintenance (perceived): A lot of people I spoke told me the boxer engine is more expensive to maintain. I may be lucky so far that I have not had to do any major engine maintenance so I cannot say whether this is true. But from my experience, it does spend a lot less time in the workshop than the German brands that I drove previously.

Consumption: People say that consumption is higher because of the AWD. This is probably true but I think the planted feel when turning corners and over wet roads more than make up for the increase in fuel expense (in my opinion)

Power: When people talk about the Forester most will mention the XT. That's one powerful car - power of a Porsche at half the price. The current versions are all normally aspirated so it has less performance. I am ok with lesser performance because power is normally associated with higher consumption and maintenance. My driving style is also slower so I really don't need the acceleration and top speed. That's a compromise and only the buyer/drive can decide which he/she will prefer.

What I see are some benefits:

The price is right. Comparing features for features, the Forester normally comes out at a lower price than the competitor. Do note though there are compromises and so I only compare 'good to have' and 'must have' features. I just make do without the 'nice to have features'.

So far the regular maintenance cost is reasonable. It may not be the cheapest in town but I dread breakdowns. Service at the AD is not the best either but it is efficient and predictable.

Like I say in my earlier post - it buying a car is a compromise. One just has to make the decisions based on one's own priorities. My first Forester was the 6th new car I bought so it was quite clear in my mind what I wanted. There are others who have different desires and that's ok. It makes the world interesting with the varieties available for anyone.

• Praise 4

On 9/3/2021 at 11:33 AM, Silverkris said:

well for 1, there is not much difference between the XV and the forester anymore, in fact the XV looks a bit better in my opinion. Forester is more rugged but already loses the XT capabilities, + using a CVT gearbox only makes it more sluggish.

With all wheel drive does make it better in handling than other SUV, but also makes it a drinker. Not very efficient now in terms of fuel prices. 

Built quality is basic japanese, cannot compare with Mazda. Still quite a bit of hard plastics, maybe more lasting?

Not really a fan of Subaru so might be biased, but if you ask me to choose, I will choose XV / Outback over Forester because it looks better at least.

Hi Silver,

Believe bro Strato got it right .. it is no longer VFM as compared to previous SJ NA which had to content with then SJ XT with lowered price.

XV to me is not comparable to the forester ... it lack presence like the forester SK NA which is a mid sized SUV that makes XV a compact SUV.

I am bias to bigger car and XV is only if you wish to save some $ and the SK NA is awkwardly having at least the mentioned presence.

Btw, equivalent mazda's equivalent CX5 SUV of the SK NA forester is indeed nicer with their usual slick appearance both externally and internally but it drives more sluggishly albeit better FC mileage than the AWD forester SK NA.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 2

Hi all, 

May I check any owner here had change the factory Head Unit to Pioneer or Kenwood model? 

Was checking and was told need to change the reverse camera too as factory default cannot be accepted by this model type.

Thank you.

@Silverkris I think these are those older generation Subaru tales you are talking about.

Things has changed. The new SK is a different breed .

XT……is a fuel guzzler but popular to hot head.

FNA is a better choice for majority and it drive comfortable and safe with good space with reasonable fuel economy.

The new SK actually has better FC than my previous CRV and Tucson when driven by a normal person.

AWD car is always a higher spec than two wheel drive. The Merc has the 4matic, the Beemer has the M, even the A has the Quattro, No?

To me the safest build conti car is Volvo, safest build Japanese car is Subaru. The rest …….marketing talk

if FC is so important and is the only consideration………Swift will be a better choice

IMHO

Edited by GoodCar
Addition
  • Praise 3

14 hours ago, GoodCar said:

@Silverkris 

XT……is a fuel guzzler but popular to hot head.

Hi Goodcar,

XT is a fuel guzzler .. indeed and for certain at 400km/tank of oct98.💔

XT for hot head .. no lah .. also for those who appreciates the comfort and quietness of the engine during pick up and when needed .. more effortlessly with 350Nm torque and 242hp 😍

Cheers.

• Praise 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:55 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Silver,

Believe bro Strato got it right .. it is no longer VFM as compared to previous SJ NA which had to content with then SJ XT with lowered price.

XV to me is not comparable to the forester ... it lack presence like the forester SK NA which is a mid sized SUV that makes XV a compact SUV.

I am bias to bigger car and XV is only if you wish to save some $ and the SK NA is awkwardly having at least the mentioned presence.

Btw, equivalent mazda's equivalent CX5 SUV of the SK NA forester is indeed nicer with their usual slick appearance both externally and internally but it drives more sluggishly albeit better FC mileage than the AWD forester SK NA.

Cheers.

Richard

coming from XV owner -> no sunroof option anymore, think passenger side still manual seat? aircon compressor coil PITA to replace, no rear aircon vent (if u need), small small front brakes, no SI drive (not sure about latest version).

Pro -> parks easily cos 15cm shorter than Forester.

CX5 -> c'mon, now still no digital cluster? what age are we at?

next-gen Subarus all will have digital cluster option bah like Levorg highest spec, and with the large entertainment screen. but still no HEV / PHEV immediate, e-boxer useless for FC. the new XV rendering looks almost like current one, boring...

want better FC? Tuscon hybrid, almost similar safety (some ways better like the virtual blind spot camera), bigger sunroof, >200bhp.

better one? wait for Kia Sportage with adaptive dampers (if it comes in).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2