2019 5th Generation Subaru Forester (SK)

richard_crl032

CVT way of driving cannot slam pedal.

That will be counter-productive and give less acceleration. 

Pressing progressively will let you reach the spec'd acceleration timing- which is not fantastic in first place. 

Haven owned a CVT ride.. my rides are either manual or 6speed auto...  How do you overtake another guy, if you really desperate to do so  with a CVT... *pardon me for me suagu... [scholar]

Yea, exactly my same thoughts when test driving.

Tried to push it on a straight road but can’t seem to move haha

CVT + NA, heavy body so its meant to be a smooth cruiser instead of being loot for 0-100km/h.

Sticking to New FOrester or considering other rides?

↡ Advertisement

Hi DK,

Test of pudding ... 2nd layer of Zen solar film and all good ... front windscreen ...no more hippness.

Cheers.

Richard

That's great.

You'd think with the adaptive sunglasses technology (transitions) we have these days, they'd be able to come up with something similar in solar film for cars...

Haven owned a CVT ride.. my rides are either manual or 6speed auto...  How do you overtake another guy, if you really desperate to do so  with a CVT... *pardon me for me suagu... [scholar]

Sticking to New FOrester or considering other rides?

Er... Suagu - i think in hokkien means mountain tortoise  (but i agree nowadays it sits get used for bookworms also )

Hard to explain in words. just press progressively and smoothly to accelerate. 

I actually also suagu - took some time to get used to cvt. some people like my wife are natural. immediately use without problem. she says she can feel the transmission and just drive accordingly. 

• Praise 2

There are many Japanese SUVs that are fitted with CVT gearbox.  For example, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Qashqai, Nissan X-Trail and Toyota RAV4.

For fast acceleration, never floor the accelerator pedal.  It is not like automatic transmission (or dual clutch type for that matter). Like what other Bro mentioned, just step on the pedal progressively.  After several rounds of driving and/or over time, you will find the right pressure to press the pedal for fast/quick overtaking.  Also, set the CVT setting to "S" mode, which is located at the steering wheel.   

That's great.

You'd think with the adaptive sunglasses technology (transitions) we have these days, they'd be able to come up with something similar in solar film for cars...

Hi DK,

Cost/profit/sales issue I guess.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi jg2000

This is their mktg speech ... the boxer engine's pistons are horizontally opposing and hence indeed end up lower but the rest of the forester suv is still higher with longer suspension set up.

New or old .. indeed almost a car but only almost.

The compact suv of qashqai drove more like a car or even better with its nice suspension set up.

Cheers.

Richard

Morning bros,

Time to test drive ... 104.8k :)

Cheers.

Richard

Agree that the QQ 2.0L (the car you drive?) has good independent rear suspension - better than the simple torsion bar of the 1.6L version. 

Also, agree that your stock Forester turbo XT suspension is harsh (tuned for sports since XT is basically a WRX SUV) until you modded to give it a softer ride. (Normal Forester ride is more comfort biased)

Hopefully, the new 2019 Forester with the new stiffer chassis, wider width, lower overall height and better suspension do justice to the boxer low cg to give a more car-like drive.  Have not test drive it myself but the reviews seem promising. 

Edited by jg2000
  • Praise 1

Agree that the QQ 2.0L (the car you drive?) has good independent rear suspension - better than the simple torsion bar of the 1.6L version. 

Also, agree that your stock Forester turbo XT suspension is harsh (tuned for sports since XT is basically a WRX SUV) until you modded to give it a softer ride. (Normal Forester ride is more comfort biased)

Hopefully, the new 2019 Forester with the new stiffer chassis, wider width, lower overall height and better suspension do justice to the boxer low cg to give a more car-like drive.  Have not test drive it myself but the reviews seem promising. 

Hi jg2000,

Mine was the 1.2l turbo.

No clue on the forester 2019 as I would not touch subaru cars with eyesight due to lack of solar film on windscreen and hence now with mazda 6 parked in driveway instead of the 5D impreza 2.0 eyesight which I test drove thrice and ready too book until this solar film bombshell.

Trouble with forester xt is that it is also floaty since designed for terrain and not only tarmac which means mods of thicker arb, sti pink spring etc. which stock dampers do not match well and hence next attempt with adjustable cusco touring dampers.

Cheers,

Richard

Er... Suagu - i think in hokkien means mountain tortoise  (but i agree nowadays it sits get used for bookworms also )

Hard to explain in words. just press progressively and smoothly to accelerate. 

I actually also suagu - took some time to get used to cvt. some people like my wife are natural. immediately use without problem. she says she can feel the transmission and just drive accordingly. 

Hi jg2000,

Forester fxt  with high torque cvt had no such issue or certainly not obvious.

My wife loves the fxt's response and confidence ... no need to press progressively or smoothly ... it is predominately lack of torque which is a nice 350Nm from from the fxt  imho.

Cheers,

Richard

There are many Japanese SUVs that are fitted with CVT gearbox.  For example, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Qashqai, Nissan X-Trail and Toyota RAV4.

For fast acceleration, never floor the accelerator pedal.  It is not like automatic transmission (or dual clutch type for that matter). Like what other Bro mentioned, just step on the pedal progressively.  After several rounds of driving and/or over time, you will find the right pressure to press the pedal for fast/quick overtaking.  Also, set the CVT setting to "S" mode, which is located at the steering wheel.   

Hi JBboy,

Typical Jap CVT=simple and lower cost of manufacturing i.e. more profit or competitiveness for car markers

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Can anybody share what deals/package they gotten for their 2019 Forester?

i-L: $109800,  i-S116800 RSP

What cash rebates and what freebies/accessories thrown in ?

Anyone wana Group buy or anything? Squeeze the SE for slightly better pricing?  :XD:

Edited by Maomao82
  • Praise 2

Hi all. I am considering the new forester with eyesight vs the older FNA model which doesnt comes with eyesight.

The pricing is 95k vs 115k. 

Difference is the eyesight, electric tailgate, electric park button, navigation system, 18" instead of 17" and memory seat. 

MI told me the engine is totally new and not just a facelift. But for 20k more, i need think hard.. 

Key downside is there's no solar film for windscreen as eyesight cannot function with the film. 

Any advise? Thanks!

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hi all. I am considering the new forester with eyesight vs the older FNA model which doesnt comes with eyesight.

The pricing is 95k vs 115k. 

Difference is the eyesight, electric tailgate, electric park button, navigation system, 18" instead of 17" and memory seat. 

MI told me the engine is totally new and not just a facelift. But for 20k more, i need think hard.. 

Key downside is there's no solar film for windscreen as eyesight cannot function with the film. 

Any advise? Thanks!

Hi Ivan,

If spending 95k, go for current FNA sj cos VFM and has solar film

If spending 115k, there are may be others ... including those that has solar film on windscreen and yet works with safety system.  

Best also go test drive both and feel for yourself ... new engine may also mean more trouble since untested but I am sure there are marginal improvement on handling, ride comfort etc. as well as more significant interior upgrade.

For equitable SUV if your really need it for bigger family, baby seat etc., look into Hyundai Tucson but frankly not many more ... 1.6T gives more kick for better drive if that is your key consideration and it is important one but there are also the feel aspect that I personally still prefer Jap.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

IMHO, the main engine difference between existing FNA and 2019 Forester is Port Injection versus Direct Injection. The same Direct Injection engine is already fitted to current 2.0 Impreza/XV, albeit different tuning (VES band B versus C1 for 2019 Forester).

• Praise 1

Official Subaru Singapore website also indicates new forester higher FC

Fuel consumption
All-New Forester 2.0i-L Eyesight - 7.4 L/100km
Forester 2.0i-L                              - 6.5 L/100km
Forester 2.0XT                             - 8.5 L/100km

https://www.subaru.asia/sg/en/vehicles/compare/?reg=sg&lang=en&mod=newforester

only silly will believe this Official FC,

4WD SUV 6.5L/100km or 15.38km/L, in Singapore even Hybrid also cannot achieve :a-noway:  

• Praise 1

only silly will believe this Official FC,

4WD SUV 6.5L/100km or 15.38km/L, in Singapore even Hybrid also cannot achieve :a-noway:

The fuel consumption figure refers to combined figure. Subaru brochure also gives urban and extra-urban figures.

Anyway, if fuel consumption is the main criterion for buying SUV, then Subaru will be somewhere down the buying list.

Bros ... I am thinking of getting the Forester but as you can see from my previous posts the display unit is a -ve factor. Can someone tell me if it is possible to change the current display to one with Apple Car Play? Or if the current unit is fairly reasonable

• Praise 1

Bros ... I am thinking of getting the Forester but as you can see from my previous posts the display unit is a -ve factor. Can someone tell me if it is possible to change the current display to one with Apple Car Play? Or if the current unit is fairly reasonable

Would the warranty be void if you change?

only silly will believe this Official FC,

Hi MQX,

Indeed .... unhmm .. 8.5l/100km for 2.0 fxt ... I will be glad if mine is 8.5km/l .. lol !

Typically, fxt reports around 8-9km/l or 400-450km/tank unless you qinggong practitioner with >500km or >90% hwy driving at 1 am to home and leaving at 6 am to work ... keke !

Cheers.

Richard

(edited)

Hi Forester bros,

Someone educated me on the cool start/stop technology of my new mazda 6 2.0 executive.

Cheers.

Richard

IDLING STOP TECHNOLOGY
i-stop is a smart technology that saves fuel by switching off the engine when the car stops.

Idling stop systems save fuel by automatically shutting down the engine when the vehicle is static and restarting it when the vehicle returns to motion.

technology_env_i-stop_1st-row_img_2.ts.1

i-stop

Mazda's i-stop substantially improves fuel economy while maintaining a natural driving feel. The latest control technologies achieve a rapid engine restart and an operational feel that is barely noticeable. The system improves fuel economy by approximately eight percent (under Japan's JC08 mode test cycle.).

i-stop and Gasoline Engines

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engineMazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.

These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

i-stop with Gasoline Engines

technology_env_i-stop_en_2nd-row_img.ts.

Edited by richard_crl032

Dear members,may I know is there any disadvantage to have car registered by end of 2018 or beginning of Jan2019 in terms of resale value?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1